User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Ezra Pound rocks my socks.
    TS Eliot can be good occasionally.
    And I like the emotion in Katie Rosemurgy's work.
    Some of Wordsworth is okay.

On the whole, I enjoy poetry, but don't find myself opening books of poems very often. I do keep some Ezra Pound by my bed.

MBTI
    ESFP

I don't like poetry at all. Living and experiencing emotions and what you see is more important. Poetry is not real. It is a bunch of complex words to help you imagine something. Why would you want to read and imagine something great instead of being a part of something great and living it yourself??? Go out of your house and do something. For real.

Yeah, I pretty much don't like poetry. I find it mostly too juicy/corny for my taste. Of course, there are poets I like and also poems I like, but as I said most of it is just too corny. Unless I'm in a state of depression, I don't really enjoy poetry.

MBTI
    INTJ

I was really encouraged in English through school. (My mom--an INFP--constantly read to me.) I took the grammar/rules part of it, memorized that, and used it to construct/fix whatever I needed to. It was a performance thing. I read extensively but, looking back, didn't like a lot. My sibling is a poet, and I like the way she does it. I've started reading Hemingway. Supposedly he was an SP. I really like Edna St. Vincent Millay. I pick up her Complete Works when I'm going to have to sit for a few seconds--like on a bus or when I'm waiting in line for the pisser to be vacant. There's more I like, but I don't seek poetry out all of the time. I think it can be eloquent, present, self-aware, and comforting.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    I've started reading Hemingway. Supposedly he was an SP. I really like Edna St. Vincent Millay.
    I like Hemingway's novels, but I didn't know he wrote poetry. And I don't think I've read Edna St. Vincent Millay, but I've heard the name before. Got any links?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I always felt kind of cheated that school never taught me much of anything (if anything at all) about poetry. I mean, you have to read at LEAST 3 Shakespeare plays (which I suppose can sort of be counted as poetry, but I generally think of as drama), but we don't have time to really explore poetry as a writing alternative to prose- through all the different purposes it can fulfill (narrative, etc.).

Haven't really encountered any poets I like except e.e. cummings. His poems are somewhat like puzzles, and I like the feeling of my brain trying to assemble meaning, and how strangely the meaning does come together. And he's fairly succinct to boot! It's beautiful. (Will find examples later- my books are all currently in boxes.)

I've gone through my unfortunate teenage poetry stage- but I think I should study more poetry before I enter an unfortunate 20-yr-old poetry stage.

I used to like poetry when I was younger. Used to write quite a lot to..........Had more writen about me though, LOL. Good old days

I still like songs that rhmye, dose that count?

I have a head for songs an whiticisms.

MBTI
    ISTP

Hmm. In general poetry doesn't speak to me much (especially not "classic" poetry or the kind of stuff that typically makes it into English classes), though I've enjoyed it occasionally (especially poetry more focused on wordplay or on describing a concrete situation... heh).
    My INTP lit-crit partner has occasionally persuaded me to read and discuss some poems with him, and I get more out of it seeing what he sees in it. But for the most part, not a poetry person.

Oh. And I agree with others in this thread who think "playground" is more appropriate than "arthouse" for this sub-forum (also thinking of the sense as in "playground/sandbox" on wikis as an area open for improvising!).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

The "arthouse" title is based off the SPs being called "artisans", (the other forums have a similar pattern, which is why the words describing the forum might seem a bit of a stretch.)

At least, that's why I think the titles are what they are.

"arthouse" title is based off the SPs being called "artisans"
    I like it and find it quite appropriate. Several of my friends and family members are SP's and some of their professions include: fashion designer, florist, model, painter/stained-glass designer, and graphic designer. I'm an Interior Decorator/Real-Estage Stager.