• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Description

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

I like that one.
I do have random tools for particular things... I may never use them again, but they were worth that one task! :p

I'm really bad at completing things without a deadline. I get the bulk of it or the interesting part of it done and that's usually enough for me. Since I moved in Jan. I had everything packed up in boxes. Now that I've unpacked the things I *need*, I still have full boxes in my living room. I'll have company in April staying over and hopefully I'll have everything unpacked by then :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ISTP mechanic stereotype could also be likened to a surgeon...or a dentist...

So are ISTPs into farming, as well?

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Farming seems pretty dull, I'd rather hunt/gather. I can see the appeal though.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
The benefits are lousy and it would make travelling around more difficult. Plus I'd have to go to a technical college to get my certification.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTJ description from Enspired Profiles is excellent, as well. I always had great attention to detail when it came to things I was interested in. I'm quite the perfectionist and I'm pretty anal about certain things. I like to proofread my own writing and make sure it's worded perfectly.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Maybe you should be an assassin?

:blink: My ISTP best/f's fantasy is to become an assassin instead of a doctor...

ISTPs will stare coldy into the eyes of the teacher and not even say no. No amount of cajoling, bribing, rewarding, punishing, or threat will get them to do their school work. School work, quite apart from being irrelevant, is after all mere preparation for something the ISTPs figure they're never going to do anyway.

She's done that too, well, with anyone really. In HS she'd rarely show up for her physics class b/c they did shit but would come for tests/exams and ace everything. Her teacher hated her, I think, and he wasn't the only one irritated by her (as were students too). She excelled in subjects she liked/found useful for her and didn't care too much about others (such as english). She'd just laugh and laugh at most of the people in school (even in uni, but not so loud, I think...). I think she does this blinking thing too. And the way she says a quickly uttered "No" after being pushed is so adorable! I wish we could insert voice into posts so I could try to mimic her!

ArchaicIntellect

MBTI Type
ENTJ
...w/e she said about her neurotic best/f wanting to be an assassin...

Wait. Am I allowed to call her neurotic? Well, she won't catch me until she joins, so I'm safe for now!

And stop telling people she wants to be an assassin, you're going to blow her cover! :rolli:

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
:blink: My ISTP best/f's fantasy is to become an assassin instead of a doctor...
Interesting, I've always thought that would be an great job too. (Not that I would actually do it). The worst part is, a lot of times when I read about court cases....I don't think "wow, what that guy did is horrible", I think "wow, how was he such an idiot to not get rid of xxxx, or destroy xxxx?".

Also, the enspired profiles description was very good as well.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
The ISTP mechanic stereotype could also be likened to a surgeon...or a dentist...

So are ISTPs into farming, as well?
Well based on the responses to this inquiry, and have grown up in rural America myself, I may not be be ISTP but I am whatever McMartinez and 6sticks decides they are. My younger brother and dad farm still and I detest it, although I do enjoy getting out into the open and just going for long quiet walks.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP

Interesting, I've always thought that would be an great job too. (Not that I would actually do it). The worst part is, a lot of times when I read about court cases....I don't think "wow, what that guy did is horrible", I think "wow, how was he such an idiot to not get rid of xxxx, or destroy xxxx?".

Also, the enspired profiles description was very good as well.

Yeah, me too. Especially when watching movies I'll think, "Man, that was idiotic. Couldn't he come up with a more believable alibi than than?" It's not that I identify with the character. I think it has to do with the constant analytical stream running through my mind--I tend to approach everything from that way.

Oh, and same thing for me with the assassin thing; that or some sort of covert ops.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
You and me both. The worst way for me to learn is to sit and "listen".

I'm much more hands-on.

And I think that the educational system is full of subjective grading no matter how hard they try to make it objective. Seriously, what do grades even matter if you don't learn? I know too many people who didn't learn anything and hardly think for themselves who had high GPA's...yet I learned pertinent material, think pretty much for myself and I was always a B student. Teachers who saw me as a thinking type and knew I'd gotten something out of the class usually gave me the A, and teachers who were out to get students gave me the B or C. I generally put the same amount of effort into my classes... It just seems like the priorities with some teachers are all wrong.

SeanMC86

MBTI Type
ESFP
I did things like that in High School. They put me in an accelerated learning class but I found the work too hard and thought I would fail. So i kept complaining to the guidance counselor so I could be put into a "stupid class" and she kept saying no. So i threatened to fail all of the classes :) Hooray for SP practicality!!!

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I'm much more hands-on.

And I think that the educational system is full of subjective grading no matter how hard they try to make it objective. Seriously, what do grades even matter if you don't learn? I know too many people who didn't learn anything and hardly think for themselves who had high GPA's...yet I learned pertinent material, think pretty much for myself and I was always a B student. Teachers who saw me as a thinking type and knew I'd gotten something out of the class usually gave me the A, and teachers who were out to get students gave me the B or C. I generally put the same amount of effort into my classes... It just seems like the priorities with some teachers are all wrong.

Definitely. No matter how hard they try there is always a tinge of subjectivity when they are assigning final grades.

I love lab assignment yet hate tests becuase I find them pointless. Besides, they're a farce becuase once you master a particular professor's testing style the amount of learning required to get good grades declines significantly.

BTW, here's something that sums up how I feel:

Work that is routine (such as administration) or too open-ended (such as research) is of little interest to the ISTP. This kind of work is an energy drain. The new, the unexplored, and the unexpected, however, are energizing and really not considered by the ISTP to be "work" at all.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, I like the Team Technology descriptions. I must say that I identify with the INTJ description under stress. I'm the kind of person that blows up in rage when I'm insecure or angry. I tend to curse people out even though I have nothing against them personally, but because I have something to vent on. And the times of stress is when I become concerned with status and even materialistic.

You say "when" you're insecure, but you're obviously always insecure if you act like that. Besides, you're 'stress' reaction (I pause now to suspect that you are a kid and that you need to grow out of this behavior. I hope you do.) sounds more like the "In charge" stress response, which would correllate to: ENTJ, ENFJ, ESTP, ESTJ.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
You say "when" you're insecure, but you're obviously always insecure if you act like that. Besides, you're 'stress' reaction (I pause now to suspect that you are a kid and that you need to grow out of this behavior. I hope you do.) sounds more like the "In charge" stress response, which would correllate to: ENTJ, ENFJ, ESTP, ESTJ.

I wouldn't expect a reply from uber anytime soon.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
My brother loves weapons. I'm more of a tools and vehicles type of guy. Nevertheless I've always liked the bow and arrow, and throwing-knives.

As for school work, I've always did relatively well but it was on my terms. During High School and as a college undergraduate I clashed with some of my teachers but ultimately (thankfully) I always scored high on exams.

Yes! I convinced my parents to get me a compound bow when I was about 15. Sadly, I went away to school in an urban area before I could do more than target practice (my father was a hunter).

In college I joined the fencing club and became the theater troupe's fight coordinator to make up for the lack of action in my life.