• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Female ISTP's... how do you act?

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Every ISTP I can think of is male... and the personality type tends to skew more towards classic male stereotypes. I know I have met female ISTP's, but I wouldn't be able to pick them out in a crowd.

How to female ISTP's behave?

**My best guess would be that they would tend to play down their true character due to the stereotypical male characteristics. If they don't, they would come off to be somewhat tomboyish.

Also, I'd guess you'd find them playing sports and interested in more technical areas like practical science and computers. What do you guys think? Any good female ISTP descriptions, or dead giveaways that have influenced you to believe the girl is an ISTP?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Actually that can be said of any type with a strong "T", which is why it's hard for females to see the T in themselves, and males the "F". We only compound the problem in following the train of thought on people who developed these systems during a period when the male/female gender roles were more pronounced. Actually taking the gender biasness out of any description would be of benefit to many. As for your inquiry, I have yet to find very many ISTPs on the forums that coincide with the sterotypical description of being mechanically inclined. Besides, I have given my thoughts that the description originated as valuing mechanics (artistry, skills and technique) and morphed into being mechanical.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every ISTP I can think of is male... and the personality type tends to skew more towards classic male stereotypes. I know I have met female ISTP's, but I wouldn't be able to pick them out in a crowd.

The only one I have met left me unsure of her type until after I didn't see her much and then it all clicked.

She did have longish hair but otherwise did act and dress rather tomboyish. I really enjoyed spending time with her (we were working on a church project together) because she seemed to be relaxed, had good thinking (made very good general arguments for things and could devise strategy well) and she even had a silly streak and could laugh at Monty Python - style humor... but she wasn't really goofy in general and seemed very level-headed.

She was flexy but resilient in nature and generally good-natured and open to listening to others even if she easily could criticize their ideas for not making sense. She ended up getting advanced degrees in languages and Bible translation, which seems to fit decently.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Be more specific in what you're asking.

I play sports (but I'm not much good), I like practical science (bio). I guess I am something of a tomboy but I'm not butch either. Beyond that, well, what do you want to know?

A description I have found accurate: ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aren't the descriptions of types at Berens' website based upon interviews of actual people of the type?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
She did have longish hair but otherwise did act and dress rather tomboyish.
I really don't think that descriptions can give an indication of how anyone looks. What I know from (okay Mom here goes my kudo for the Tiegers) is from the "Art of Speedreading People" book and see in myself, is that SP types in general prefer to wear loose fitting clothes, prefer a backpack to a briefcase, clothes must be functional. I would prefer to dress casual than formal. On the weekends, I usually prefer wearing sweats to jeans, and this may be TMI I really hate feeling restrained in my clothing so I have not owned a pair of underwear in over twenty years. I may start off in wearing clothes to bed, but during the night I will usually at some point completely undress. Another thing that I agree with in most instances is that, when I am in public even on the weekends, I will comb my hair and look presentable. I think that is very SP-ish even for the introverted types.

Last edited:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Aren't the descriptions of types at Berens' website based upon interviews of actual people of the type?
Because it is written in first person, by those of that type and not by theorists taking part of their description from past description, I like this description foremost. I even think the ISTP-INTJ-INTP comparison fits me for the reasons given. Back to the descriptions specifically the Analyzer-Operator (ISTP, did you notice that when interviewing the type, there was never mention of liking or being interested in mechanical things?

I even like this one and Hale’s descriptions are good, although they can no longer be found without paying for them. Years ago there was an ISTP forum that I belonged to. When the mechanical question was asked, the response was that you are taking the descriptions too seriously.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
My best friend is an 21 year old ISTP who is studying biological-chemistry. She grew up being very spoiled, very wild, disorganized (still, to a point), very sporty and "tomboish" even with her waist-length hair which she's never cared doing on her own. Her mother has always taken care of it. She once cut it up to her cheeks while living for a few years in East Africa b/c it was a hassle with the heat but it grew back to her waist in two years or so when she returned to Canada(she's kept it this long since). She dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She also doesn't openly display her high intelligence, outside of class/even then, or express her real feelings AT ALL (except to me). She has no problem reacting to people or telling them what she thinks (She'll tell you esp. if you don't like to hear it!! Are you kidding me? lol). She'll zoom in and tear a deemed person's flawed logic apart if she cares to. If she doesn't care to at the time, she doesn't bother. She's very carefree in that sense and in general. She can act/seem childlike and curious and she's so much fun to be around. And also seem like a guy in nature from what others say about her despite appearing seemingly feminine :huh:

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). People think they're her friend but she thinks of them as acquaintances (or ppl who are useful). She may talk but she never displays her true opinions/esp.feelings about topics important to her. She'll tell you her opinion of YOU or someone or an event etc. She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. This is mostly towards people our age, not older, unless deserving of her bluntess which she will not spare them decency. (I find it funny that people often endear her for it or try to be friends once she's told them off!!!! :rofl1:) She didn't care so much before but now she's more aware. She's blamed me for being her 'conscience' and cursed me for it lol but she's joking. She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please, she doesn't even trust her own--). Conflict w/ others doesn't bother her. Sometimes, she can have the most explosive rage when someone's exasperated her beyond logical thinking (as in they weren't, she tried getting them to be) and enjoys the idea of 'revenge' even when not acted on (revenge can be destroying a person with words/values)....and it freaks people b/c she seems so 'impassive' or carefree or quiet. And she doesn't like to be approached during that time (time for 'space'). I know better to leave her, she'll seek me when ready. If people bother her then, she'll likely make them cry for it.

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings or seeing the value in it if it doesn't directly effect her (not family/friends).

I hope I gave an insightful account for you. I wonder your curiousity on female ISTPs, though ...:devil:

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Be more specific in what you're asking.

I play sports (but I'm not much good), I like practical science (bio). I guess I am something of a tomboy but I'm not butch either. Beyond that, well, what do you want to know?

A description I have found accurate: ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

The main thing that I'm interested in is certain personality characteristics that would be a dead giveaway that you are an ISTP female.

DeliriousDisposition did a pretty good job at getting pretty specific with her best friend, detail like that is priceless.

I really try to understand before I type... thats why I'm skeptical to assume anything, especially with a difficult type to understand fully.

My best friend is an 21 year old ISTP who is studying biological-chemistry. She grew up being very spoiled, very wild, disorganized (still, to a point), very sporty and "tomboish" even with her waist-length hair which she's never cared doing on her own. Her mother has always taken care of it. She once cut it up to her cheeks while living for a few years in East Africa b/c it was a hassle with the heat but it grew back to her waist in two years or so when she returned to Canada(she's kept it this long since). She dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She also doesn't openly display her high intelligence, outside of class/even then, or express her real feelings AT ALL (except to me). She has no problem reacting to people or telling them what she thinks (She'll tell you esp. if you don't like to hear it!! Are you kidding me? lol). She'll zoom in and tear a deemed person's flawed logic apart if she cares to. If she doesn't care to at the time, she doesn't bother. She's very carefree in that sense and in general. She can act/seem childlike and curious and she's so much fun to be around. And also seem like a guy in nature from what others say about her despite appearing seemingly feminine :huh:

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). People think they're her friend but she thinks of them as acquaintances (or ppl who are useful). She may talk but she never displays her true opinions/esp.feelings about topics important to her. She'll tell you her opinion of YOU or someone or an event etc. She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. This is mostly towards people our age, not older, unless deserving of her bluntess which she will not spare them decency. (I find it funny that people often endear her for it or try to be friends once she's told them off!!!! :rofl1:) She didn't care so much before but now she's more aware. She's blamed me for being her 'conscience' and cursed me for it lol but she's joking. She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please, she doesn't even trust her own--). Conflict w/ others doesn't bother her. Sometimes, she can have the most explosive rage when someone's exasperated her beyond logical thinking (as in they weren't, she tried getting them to be) and enjoys the idea of 'revenge' even when not acted on (revenge can be destroying a person with words/values)....and it freaks people b/c she seems so 'impassive' or carefree or quiet. And she doesn't like to be approached during that time (time for 'space'). I know better to leave her, she'll seek me when ready. If people bother her then, she'll likely make them cry for it.

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings or seeing the value in it if it doesn't directly effect her (not family/friends).

I hope I gave an insightful account for you. I wonder your curiousity on female ISTPs, though ...:devil:

Wow... this is an excellent description. You really go into great detail, thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't quite know how to explain. Interestingly, I feel I've definitely met a couple ISTP females in my life after reading this description.

And now I owe you my motivation for curiosity right? :)

I have a few ISTP male friends (one my brother), and the difference is pretty shocking, and it seemingly all is contributed to gender stereotypes and what society expects from people.

Also, there's a girl in one of my chemistry labs that has a very intriguing personality that is closer to ISTP than any other. Don't know for sure if shes ISTP, don't feel like I know her well enough... but it's my best guess on the superficial level I have so far. I'll have a better idea the next time I talk to her.

And I'm not gonna lie, the personal motivation was a little stronger than the theoretical motivation ;)

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Wow... this is an excellent description. You really go into great detail, thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't quite know how to explain. Interestingly, I feel I've definitely met a couple ISTP females in my life after reading this description.

No problemo :D Though, once I finish my hassling her into joining MBTIc, she'll destroy me for not making her sound more brilliant. And exclaim that she is the best ISTP there is! lol (she jokes like that). We were actually discussing her type and her life story the day or so before you posted this so it hadn't dissolved within my mind yet (INFJ's weakest Demonic process is Si...). Perhaps you willed us to discuss :shock: as we weren't even in due for reminiscing lol

And now I owe you my motivation for curiosity right? :)

You better believe it! :devil:

I have a few ISTP male friends (one my brother), and the difference is pretty shocking, and it seemingly all is contributed to gender stereotypes and what society expects from people.

Also, there's a girl in one of my chemistry labs that has a very intriguing personality that is closer to ISTP than any other. Don't know for sure if shes ISTP, don't feel like I know her well enough... but it's my best guess on the superficial level I have so far. I'll have a better idea the next time I talk to her.

Well, I'd say if you're not familiar with her as a friend yet don't encroach. Observe her first, find some bridge that's realistic and not suspicious of motive...or she won't buy it lol Use a friend to help! Make him look bad! (JK lol or not...:devil: ) Unless she's a healthier range of her type, she may not like you immediately and even then lol. Even though I was blamed for my best/f's new conscience, it was through her own doing that she became 'nicer' (still working on that lol). She's had her own personal history of issues. As will anyone else of any Type, so it's hard basing one ISTP off of another or an INTP :D Just so you know, Introverted Feeling is an ISTP's DEMONIC Cognitive Process!! :cry: The worst of the worst! They don't trust their feelings let alone others'! With growth, they'll change. Or if surrounded/grew up with people who helped them through the awkwardness of feelings.

I couldn't point yet the difference b/w ISTP females and males but I'll say I know she gets apprehensive when feelings are 'extroverted' to her by ANYone. Even if she tries making someone feel better, it's awkward watching her (even when she tries helping me lolol). She'll sooner start joking to cheer someone up if she barely knows them. Unless they truly tell her all and expect to her to be serious which she'll do and then end with a joke to lighten it up (she can't stand sappy movies for the most part. LOVES action/killing/explosives/fighting/hot men lol) But for me, her best friend, she'll be serious from the start, still with jokes dispersed, and want to get rid of this problem pronto. She'll forget about it a week or so later (honestly forget if it wasn't serious). I wonder how simliar a male would be with regards to 'feelings'. I'd think an ISTP male would be even less likely to show it. How's your brother, the same in that regard?

And I'm not gonna lie, the personal motivation was a little stronger than the theoretical motivation ;)

You're telling an INFJ, buddy. Really, anyone could've figured that out. Silly INTP~ ;)

Edit: I should add, her conscience aside, my friend is openly friendly with all (if not hitting on her from the start). It's the childlike attitude that reels'em in! :biggrin:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main thing that I'm interested in is certain personality characteristics that would be a dead giveaway that you are an ISTP female.

DeliriousDisposition did a pretty good job at getting pretty specific with her best friend, detail like that is priceless.
Hmmm ok. I'm still trying to work that out myself, cause I've had a hard time choosing ISTP over INTJ and INTP.

This fits me perfectly as well:

21 year old ISTP who is studying biological.....dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). .... .... She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. ... She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please). .....

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings...
Surprisingly quite a lot of similarity there.

So, I'm definitely I and T (those are pretty easy to tell in most people anyway, I think). And I'm definitely not ISTJ. So that leaves INTP, ISTP, INTJ.

Some things that made me think 'not INTP' for me:

-didn't relate to the posts of other INTPs
-not socially retarded/antisocial/rejecting society (I'm generalizing here, people!)
-no sense of ostracization from society
-not interested in discussing irrelevant philosophy (see: any of SWs posts)
-interested in applying theory to real life
-relate strongly to the ISTP/INTJ "chart the course" interaction style rather than the INTP's "behind the scenes" (Interaction Styles)
-not particularly "think outside the box"-ey....usually it's not needed to solve the problem
-I tend to go with my instincts rather than thinking things through in detail
-I'm pretty into sports (doing, never watching) and eating well, staying healthy etc (though not to the extremes of health nuts)

None of these are really strong points, I know. For me it was mostly just an overall feeling of "wrongness" with the type...which I know, doesn't really help you.

As for INTJ, the only things that make me think I'm ISTP instead are that I'm not ruthless, I'm absent-minded, and I don't plan things out in great detail (only in vague terms). Oh and I'm not paranoid or OCD (I kid, I kid).

HTH, though I realize it's pretty vague.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
As for INTJ, the only things that make me think I'm ISTP instead are that I'm not ruthless, I'm absent-minded, and I don't plan things out in great detail (only in vague terms). Oh and I'm not paranoid or OCD (I kid, I kid).

Yeah my best guess would be that your ISTP after that analysis. Not sure, but you're definitely not INTP.

The dead giveaway I notice with INTJ's (after having a couple INTJ good friends and dating a different one), is you always have this feeling their up to something. I always find it really funny, its like their totally oblivious to the fact that they aren't revealing any hints of their motivations... which in turn is a huge hint in itself. Also, they tend to be really intelligent... and their hidden strategic personality gives them a presence that tends to naturally intimidate most people... once again in a way that they are totally oblivious to. I love messing with this obliviousness. But it tends to piss them off if you're not careful... if the joke turns into seriousness. That hasn't happened too often though.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
I wonder how simliar a male would be with regards to 'feelings'. I'd think an ISTP male would be even less likely to show it. How's your brother, the same in that regard?
Due to your amazing analysis, I will go into detail with the two ISTP's I have in my life... both of which I'm pretty close to. One being my brother, and the other a friend of mine for the last 8 years... both male. Hopefully, maybe, this will help Randomnity too, comparing her traits to male ISTP's.

First, my brother. He is a college wrestler, 20 years old, double majoring in Biology and Psychology. On top of that, he is a huge technology nerd. He loves the newest gadgets, and is an active visitor of many techy websites such as download.com, digg.com, etc. He keeps up on the newest technology almost religiously, but is very modest about it, and doesn't look at it any deeper than a hobby... even though many have tried to convince him its his passion.

He has a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years, an ENFP who pretty much wrapped her grip around him before he went to college. They were on and off relationship status in high school, but now they live together. He was very awkward about his feelings when they were getting together, and he still is in many ways. It was so awkward it was just plain hilarious at first, but now he's pretty good about it. He figured his emotions out nicely, and it pretty much is her doing. They have their own language, and it's really funny when he talks to other people with her around, because in many ways he doesn't know how to respond. He's used to talking logical to most everyone in the world, but with her they have a feeling driven relationship. I find it cute, but annoying if I want to talk to him with her around sometimes.

He is a fairly big and intimidating guy, with a wrestling record that is very good... which gives him immediate respect to other athletes... but he is seemingly oblivious to this, and doesn't communicate with jocks past the wrestling mat. He considers them pretty single minded as a whole. In high school, his killer academics and wrestling status gave him this respect that he didn't even really know existed. We had a group of friends in high school of about 8 people, and we never really expanded past that. He was happy with the group of friends, and we entertained each other plenty without having to seek out the rest of the school.

We have similar majors (I'm double majoring in Biopsychology and Psychology, and he's doing Biology and Psychology), so we have very intense conversations when we're together about sciences, neuroscience, etc. It's funny, because he is really good at reciting facts, and I'm a master at the theory. His girlfriend comments about how basically he'll bring something up, and I'll take it to a level he wasn't expecting or really know how to respond to. On the whole though, I'd say he has more overall practical knowledge, and I constantly obsess in the wholes of the theories and understandings. I love it, because I use him intellectually... if I can get a theory past his mind, chances are I'm onto something. He's very hard to convince of anything... but if you do, it means it's about as real as it gets. He admits, however, that he could never do what I do, and he considers it a gift that I can to that... and I consider it a gift he can do that.

Second, is my good friend through high school and college. I knew him growing up, but he became good friends in high school on the track team. He had this very intense drive that I found challenging, and we pretty much went at it. He ended up winning haha. We ended up both being the only two guys to stick it out through all 8 seasons in our class, out of like 20 that started out.

In college, he is a Business Economics major, and ran a bit, now does triathlons somewhat leisurely. He's gonna be an accountant, but has pretty much stated that he isn't going to work in a cubicle his whole life, and it doing this until a more intriguing opportunity comes along. Something that made him hard to type (he agrees he's an ISTP), was he is also very religious, and he is questionably nice to pretty much everyone he meets. He basically mimics their exact behavior on instinct, and has these bursts of real excitement once you touch upon a topic that he actually cares about. He is social in a way that he is a pretty good looking guy, is nice to everyone, and mimics their behavior. This is how he tends to make/keep friends, and it works quite well. Some other of his passions are acting, video games, God, and every sport ever invented. He has no trouble being confident in pursuing any of these passions.

He's had a good number of girls since and in high school... including two long relationships and another he is in right now with an INFP he met at my 21st bday party last year :) . He has a very laid back style and sense of humor coupled with his academics and never-ending athletics... that has no trouble getting and keeping girls. When in high school, I pretty much was the one in our small group of friends that talked to him about his gf at the time, and he never really went deeper than a logical analysis of the relationship. He does the same thing now. He's generally comfortable keeping his emotions with his girls between them and him, but they do exist (differing from my brother, who is very blatant about it... most likely because it's quite literally how he interacts with his gf all the time).

Both of them don't like many of the ISTP pages you'd read about on the MBTI personality profiles, but they both related strongly to this one (murray state), agreeing it was them. With both of them, I immediately connect with their Ti's, which seems to allow my Ne to run pretty wild... which in turn makes them think I'm a lot more aware of the world than most other people I talk to. I feel like I'm always the one controlling the conversation, and I come off more eccentric than normal. This fact alone makes me love to talk to them (aside from family and long friendship), because I can make connections in the moment that I usually wouldn't catch just sitting around thinking.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Here's a brief summary of myself. And I think I fit a lot of the typical ISTP description...

I've always thought of myself as very logical.

I can suppress feelings like no one else. They really tend to get in the way of life. They also lead to pain, which I try to avoid at all costs. I know I come off as a robot to plenty of people, but they don't know me very well and quite honestly I don't care to know them if they don't give me the benefit of the doubt (of having human feelings/emotions).

I don't talk if I don't have anything to say. Many times I think I know too little about a topic to have any decent input, so I keep quiet. If I'm not informed I stfu.

I'm nice to everyone until they annoy the shit out of me or I lose respect for them. After that I play nice until I don't have to anymore. And if they're on my bad side and ask for my opinion on something, I'll be so brutally honest...

When I clash with superiors (so far just teachers in high school and college, no work bosses as of yet) - I tend to argue with them as peacefully as I can and try to force them to see my view, they end up hating me when I'm right. Here's an example...
I had a summer stats programming class on M/W that lasted 2.5 hours per day. It's programming, so we were in a computer lab. We had lecture for about 1 - 1.5 hours on average. Normally teachers let the students leave when there's tons of extra time left with nothing to do. The second Monday of class I was going to leave early, we had about 45 minutes left and I'd already sat around doing nothing for 15-ish minutes. My teacher proceeded to tell me that I had signed up for the scheduled time and that I couldn't possibly leave early in case she had any announcements. May I add that this was a GRADUATE credit course and I was 1 of 2 undergrads in the class of 13? Seriously, if I miss an announcement, my damn fault. If I choose to leave class or not show up? The material I miss is my fault. I tried telling the bitch this in front of the whole class until she let me leave - although I had to promise to stay the whole time for the rest of the semester. Fuck that woman. She hated me after that. I can't say the feeling wasn't mutual.

I'm not very athletic, although my coordination and balance are pretty good.

I like computer stuff - I worked at a help desk for 4.5 years and I'm a programmer now.

I majored in Math/Stats - hated most of the theory, loved the stats part with real life examples.

Everything needs to have an ultimate goal and it must be clear. This is why I fail at girl-logic and manipulation, imo.

I'm really ok with routine. It helps me get things done. If I don't have deadlines, I'm horrible at doing anything.

I hardly stress out. I don't care about most things.

I feel like many people put themselves in their own circumstances and they victimize themselves all too often.

I feel more sorry for animals than people.

I don't really have a problem moving away from people or having them move away from me. I'm so unattached... It makes me pretty bad at networking, but it's made it easy to move to a new city after graduating from college. I feel kinda mean saying it, but I don't miss most of the friends I made. I didn't miss my friends from high school much either after I moved.

I get along much better with men than I do with women. We just have more in common most of the time.

I like some video games, but not super complex ones. I really like simple (linear) ones like Mario or Sonic best. I also like Diablo 2 a lot although I've never beat the game in spite of having started it at least 4 times.

I have no religious attachment, I was brought up atheist surrounded by Catholics - and boy did they manage to piss me off a bunch of times by telling me I *HAD* to believe in something. (I don't HAVE to do anything, thanks!)

I hate talking about religion, politics and money.

I like learning while I work. Once I reach a plateau - it becomes so freaking boring.

I have a really dry sense of humor and I don't really think it's particularly funny most of the time. I don't think it's very funny when other people crack dry jokes either.

When you piss me off, it's best to leave me alone. For a long time. I'll get over it eventually.

When I was little I always wanted Hot Wheels, but they were meant for boys, so I never asked for them.

Sometimes I'm a thrill seeker. Skydiving, some travel adventure, going under LSU in the blocked off tunnels in the middle of the summer with friends...um, sometimes it's just a night of heavy drinking, which I don't do very often.

After I've spent time with a lot of people I take time afterwards to "recover" and be alone. Honestly, I could spend a lot more time by myself at my apartment, but then people might think I'm weirder than I am... Yes, I care about what other people think about me. I definitely have a superficial streak.

In the past I was all about the functionality of clothes, but since I've had to get a real job and stuff, I've put a little more effort into dressing nicely. I'm all for comfort, although I have some stiletto heels now :p

That's what I've got for now...
MC

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I only know one ISTP female, and she fits the profile you'd expect.

-She's not very emotional, and doesn't talk about feelings.
-Good at mechanical things, as she's taken all the woods classes, and during robotics season, works in the metal shop with the rest of the team. (That includes using the machines well).
-Smart, but doesn't show it off.
-Doesn't seem to care much about how she's dressed, and has dyed blue streaks in her hair.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Continuing a bit from my last post (that turned out a lot longer than I thought it would)...

I'm pretty messy around my apartment. When I lived with other people I kept the common area neat and my mess was in my room. Once I started living alone, the mess crept into the whole apartment.
Sometimes I'll get so sick of the absence of floor space that I go nuts and clean like crazy, all in one day. It gets messy again within a week or two.

I'm good at starting things up, but not executing and finishing them.

I almost always say exactly what I mean - regardless of the connotation involved with the wording. Seriously, take what I say at face value. I hate it when people try to read into what I say.

I like to do some things over and over again. For instance, I could watch a movie a few times in a row if I really like it. I can sometimes watch a movie 4 times in a week and still like it. The obsession wears off eventually and I get hooked on something else.

I like driving long distance. It gives me time to think about stuff. Everything, really.

I've shaved my head twice, both times I had long hair beforehand.

I'm really good with directions and maps. I actually really like looking at maps of places I plan on going.

When I wake up in the morning, I almost always know where I am. None of that lost feeling, even if I go to bed wasted/trashed in a place away from home.

The end.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Although I'm a guy, I couldn't resist posting a reply as I see a number things that remind me of myself

I almost always say exactly what I mean - regardless of the connotation involved with the wording. Seriously, take what I say at face value. I hate it when people try to read into what I say.

My dad (bless his heart) does this all the time and it annoys me to no end. Also, my old boss and I hated each other for this reason. He, ever the sneaky prick, always tried to obfuscate the meanings of his answers. Much to his chagrin I would be right there to cut through his BS. After a time I actually got a perverse thrill from calling him on his BS :devil:

I like driving long distance. It gives me time to think about stuff. Everything, really.

Thankfully my job (system/network admin) has given me the opportunity to drive all over NY state. I love an open highway.

I'm really good with directions and maps. I actually really like looking at maps of places I plan on going.

If I could be anything in the world it would be a cartographer. Especially one who creates nautical charts.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Hmmm ok. I'm still trying to work that out myself, cause I've had a hard time choosing ISTP over INTJ and INTP.

I wonder if you've looked at Cognitive Processes yet? This is an INTJ site which goes into the CP for INTJs. However for INTJs it may only seem like, the wise man who made it created a chart below for ALL Types so they could pattern in their own CP but make use their own descriptions by following along (assuming they know what Introverted Feeling/Thinking etc is) and know themselves well enough. Try it and it may help.

This fits me perfectly as well:

Surprisingly quite a lot of similarity there.

So, I'm definitely I and T (those are pretty easy to tell in most people anyway, I think). And I'm definitely not ISTJ. So that leaves INTP, ISTP, INTJ.

Some things that made me think 'not INTP' for me:

-didn't relate to the posts of other INTPs
-not socially retarded/antisocial/rejecting society (I'm generalizing here, people!)
-no sense of ostracization from society
-not interested in discussing irrelevant philosophy (see: any of SWs posts)
-interested in applying theory to real life
-relate strongly to the ISTP/INTJ "chart the course" interaction style rather than the INTP's "behind the scenes" (Interaction Styles)
-not particularly "think outside the box"-ey....usually it's not needed to solve the problem
-I tend to go with my instincts rather than thinking things through in detail
-I'm pretty into sports (doing, never watching) and eating well, staying healthy etc (though not to the extremes of health nuts)

None of these are really strong points, I know. For me it was mostly just an overall feeling of "wrongness" with the type...which I know, doesn't really help you.

HTH, though I realize it's pretty vague.

I don't think off of that, even if vague, that you're an INTJ. I'm going to take a bet on ISTP but I'm just being lazy in not explaining....INFJs can do that like INTJs too....just tell you what they 'know' but not explain how they 'know' as sometimes they don't know 'how' they know :doh:

INFJs and INTJs are like Twin Cousins, from twin parents who married someone who looks like their twin sibling when it comes to Cognitive Processes. I see it as with my mom and her twin bro. They are opposite in every way (from height, disposition/character) but married their "twin mirror sibling" in every way plus had children...2 girls for her + 2 boys for him + even matching kids to nearly aging one after the other's one unknowingly, living side by side Toronto/NYC + other creepy matches...such as mine and my sis' behaviour similiar (INFJ/INTJ) to my male cousins (?/?) being different yet similiar. Us being more 'open' like mom but not POV-wise, them being more 'strict' like their dad (don't know POV-wise as we're not close anymore).

The only difference INTJ/INFJ is the INTJ Te/Fi then Fe/Ti vs INFJ Fe/Ti then Fi/Te. I found this hilarious as I thought my sis an INFJ b/c we "mind-link" on an excessively regular basis (coming to the same ideas + popping them out at the exact time...the difference is sometimes she is HARSH whereas I "seem" more "nice").

As for ISTP, as my lovely best friend is, she may have Ground Zero for her bedroom but she is WICKEDLY GREAT at "charting the course" as am I and my little sister. When we all three work together, we get it all mapped out and surge quickly. Sometimes it's just difference of POV which can stall but if we've already agreed on something before hand, it's like magic~ if ISTP friend doesn't just listen to "us" and logically shreds other's for disagreeing with us, as "We're right, you f*ing morons!" which then gets my much younger sis into "logically" restraining others + unnerving them with her cold response as opposed to the firey one of my friend while IIIIII mediate, play nice until so upset no one is playing nice (including sis/friend) or the "other group" is so erroneous + ignored my logical points nicely stated for them to understand we're right (they're wrong!) that I shred into their he/art too.

We all three then become charting Monsters crushing the wrongness of others. I rescind into guilt first that I didn't help anyone (even sis/friend) but reacted in bias for sis/friend, sis gets mad she "reacted" into anger b/c of best/f (+ me) and didn't leave the morons alone, bestfriend gets mad she was mad b/c of the morons. Best/f recovers fast ("W/e"), sis next ("Never again") and me last ("Must try to help more!!")

Which seems more like you of my INTJ sis and ISTP bestfriend?