User Tag List

123 Last

Default ISFP's and communication

'' Tend to be quiet and reserved, and difficult to get to know well. They hold back their ideas and opinions except from those who they are closest to. ''

My way of communicating and getting to know people is by comparing myself to them by stating facts about myself or asking them questions about themselves to see if we have mutual interests and views on things
    i'm pretty open and usually become friends with someone right away

i don't know if i feel comfortable anymore with sharing so much about myself so fast

so if ISFP's do not like to state their ideas and opinions then what sort of things do you talk about with people you like to spend time with?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

what's your type, liya?

i pretty much do the same... state facts about myself, joke around, try and connect or help using my own experiences as a frame of reference.

the things that are a bit more difficult to talk about with others are my ideals on society and the world, politic or religious views, etc. it really just depends on how comfortable a person makes me feel though. with some, i'm more apt to share and with others i'm completely closed lip.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

not sure either infp or isfp
    i'm still stuck on the sensing vs intuition part

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

i had the same problem, but ultimately ISFP was more fitting a description for me.

though not all ISFP's are artist, and some INFP's are...
    are you more likely to draw or focus on visual sensations/stimuli... or write prose, find the proper words and have more philosophical pursuits?

also, some people get stuck on... well, i can't be an ISFP, because i am concerned with the world outside myself, or like to read, or enjoy philosophy and am spiritual, etc. thing is, ISFP's do these things as well. but it's to a different degree than with INFP's.

and same vice versa... well, i can't be an INFP, because I enjoy drawing and can find inspiration in visual sensations/stimuli. but it's to a different degree than the ISFP.

ISFP's have a tendency to be more spontaneous, impulsive, live without considering the consequences (ex. take off middle of the night to drive hours away to the mountains to watch a sunrise, though they have to work in the morning. it might be an extreme example... but i did this and have other examples of similar behavior.) they are also often considered child-like, are very playful and silly at times. sometimes perceived as not taking life seriously. (though it's definitely not the case.) also, though we may feel very strongly about our ideals, ethics, or spiritual or philosophical pursuits, we often have a hard time defending our opinions to others, or explaining them out clearly. this often leads to us feeling inferior or dumb, making us insecure.

INFP's on the other hand, are typically more restrained and come off much more mature. they can be goofy and theatrical at times, but don't compare to the ISFP's level of playfulness. they are more likely to consider the consequences of their behavior. (i.e. tend to be less spontaneous. will be mindful of the fact they have to work in the morning, and therefore will not go out to a party and drink the night before.) they tend to be great with their words, and can write the most beautiful poetry, or will clearly explain out their ideals or philosophy's on life.

any of that help?
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

ISFP girlfriend fits this. Pretty cagey with most other people. Is a balancer or peacemaker in group conversation. Does better with one on one. Likes to talk alot when when are alone. On telephone does most of the talking with me and most of the listening for everybody else. Usually when they chose to talk alot then she is secure with the people she is talking to.

I don't know if this is similar to other ISFPs but she will often change the subject in mid conversation with little or no segue. Doesn't both me too much but some people get pissed off by this habit.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ISFP girlfriend fits this. Pretty cagey with most other people. Is a balancer or peacemaker in group conversation. Does better with one on one. Likes to talk alot when when are alone. On telephone does most of the talking with me and most of the listening for everybody else. Usually when they chose to talk alot then she is secure with the people she is talking to.

I don't know if this is similar to other ISFPs but she will often change the subject in mid conversation with little or no segue. Doesn't both me too much but some people get pissed off by this habit.
    yeah... it's almost like a built in ADD. i'd like to chuck it to auxiliary Se... but often times i'll just go off into my own head and become unaware of where the conversation around me might have moved. (short attention span.) then i pop back into conversation with something completely random, breaking the entire flow of the original conversation. my ex used to get so angry with me, and never pointed it out until we had already been dating a couple of years. every time after that, he'd be sure to call me out when i did it.

ooh, a possible other way to tell is... my INFP ex used to get annoyed when i used words like "like" or "um..." he said it dumbed down my entire point and often would help me to work on this. i'm making assumptions about both ISFP and INFP here... but i feel as though it makes sense, with ISFP's having an inferior Te and INFP's being sort of perfectionist when it comes to wording.

and same here, i have a tendency to be more of a listener than a speaker. INFP's are introverts as well, but are a bit more comfortable around people and speaking than ISFP's. however, when we're comfortable with someone, we can be very very talkative.
    -John Green

I'm probably more of a talker than listener, or at least am pretty even. I break conversations with random tangents a lot as well. Things remind me of things... and I tend to just say what feels right in the moment. Seems to go down alright.

Quote Originally Posted by liYA View Post
    '' Tend to be quiet and reserved, and difficult to get to know well. They hold back their ideas and opinions except from those who they are closest to. ''
    I would think both INFPs and ISFPs would be similar in this respect. Example: I think I'm a little bit more open to talking and joking in general than my INFP friend (she is more reserved), but neither of us really opens up right away to people in terms of our beliefs or things we hold dear.

In terms of INFP vs ISFP though, I'm not sure holding back your ideas until you trust someone is specific to either.

My way of communicating and getting to know people is by comparing myself to them by stating facts about myself or asking them questions about themselves to see if we have mutual interests and views on things
    i'm pretty open and usually become friends with someone right away

i don't know if i feel comfortable anymore with sharing so much about myself so fast

so if ISFP's do not like to state their ideas and opinions then what sort of things do you talk about with people you like to spend time with?
    I like to hear about things the person knows about. Like my roommate, the antiques dealer, I love it when he shows me a rug or something that he just got and tells me about how it is made, and different types of dyes and the names of different parts of the rug and things like that. Or if the person is from another part of the country or world, I like to hear about what is different and the same from here, food, weather, transportation, people, phrases. I like when we tell stories about funny things that happened, like before we knew one another or about our families. I am always interested in people's families.

I also have certain friends, whom I'm closer with, where we talk about things like God or spirituality, about things that we're afraid of, or things that make us sad. You can't talk about that kind of stuff too much though, or it gets depressing.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

'll just go off into my own head and become unaware of where the conversation around me might have moved. (short attention span.) then i pop back into conversation with something completely random, breaking the entire flow of the original conversation.

I break conversations with random tangents a lot as well. Things remind me of things... and I tend to just say what feels right in the moment.

Sounds like me^^

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not good at starting conversations or introducing myself to people. But if placed in a situation where a conversation is taking place, I am usually friendly and open to talk about whatever. Especially if I get to tell funny stories or talk about how awesome I am.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel