First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I'm not good at starting conversations or introducing myself to people. But if placed in a situation where a conversation is taking place, I am usually friendly and open to talk about whatever. Especially if I get to tell funny stories or talk about how awesome I am.
    it's weird. i'm opposite of this.

i used to be incredibly shy, but over the years i've learned to be very friendly upon meeting others. so, at first i come off quite social and friendly, making it a point to introduce myself to others and make light jokes. people find me quite charming right off the bat.

however, the next time i meet you, i might be a bit more aloof. much more quiet. or keep it on the same friendly level as the first time.

but if it comes down to actually sitting down and chit chatting, i'm a bit more closed lip. i'll tense up in these situations if i'm not very familiar with you.

and for me, familiarity takes running into you about 50 times first, slowly getting to know you. haha.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I tend to let someone else speak first so I can get an idea of what they are like before jumping in. Once I feel comfortable I have a habit of being a chatterbox. Actually, my husband thinks something is wrong when I'm not talking. On New Year's Eve we went to one of his friend's party.... I knew two people there... By the end of the night I had talked to the majority of the people there, and even ended up getting a hug from one of the girls before we left... I think that was some weird pregnancy bond thing since we are both pregnant.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

getting my isfp to talk about anything non-mundane (or especially, emotional) is like getting blood from a stone. Occasionally it happens, though. Even with mundane things, he's not exactly a chatterbox. He's not an exceptionally good listener, either. He's usually either doing something, looking at something, or thinking of something rather than being interested in conversation.

I'm like this with people I don't know well too (he's like that with everyone/most people, I think) but he comes off as silently friendly (I think) and I often come off as aloof. Perhaps the T/F.

note: I'm not saying this is "typical" but it's a data point, anyway.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    getting my isfp to talk about anything non-mundane (or especially, emotional) is like getting blood from a stone. Occasionally it happens, though. Even with mundane things, he's not exactly a chatterbox. He's not an exceptionally good listener, either. He's usually either doing something, looking at something, or thinking of something rather than being interested in conversation.

I'm like this with people I don't know well too (he's like that with everyone/most people, I think) but he comes off as silently friendly (I think) and I often come off as aloof. Perhaps the T/F.

Not exactly a chatterbox is true in my case. It really depends on the person whether I'm talkative or not. Even with some of my siblings, I'm not that talkative. It's like you really do have to draw blood from a stone. With people I do end up talking a lot to, it all draws down to how willing the person is to continue forced interaction with me.

But really, the general idea is I'm just not that talkative, especially in real life.

I usually do listen when someone is speaking to me. But if I find you boring, going on and on about something, or the topic isn't so interesting to begin with, I'll most likely be thinking about something or looking out "into space."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    I usually do listen when someone is speaking to me. But if I find you boring, going on and on about something, or the topic isn't so interesting to begin with, I'll most likely be thinking about something or looking out "into space."
    Unfortunately I'm this way too.... I have a really hard time staying attentive if I find the subject matter to be boring.... Can make some classes really difficult to pay attention in. At least my husband is learning when to stop talking about gas prices and why they are ridiculous.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

nah, not the T/F thing. i've had many people tell me during my life that they thought i was a bitch upon first meeting me... and it was because i was either shy or aloof. and i'm a feeler! this is why i suppose i compensate now a days and make it a point to be friendly and outgoing upon first meeting someone new. it's when i progress past that point with someone that i may become aloof again, until i get to know you really really well. and there are very few that will make it to that point with me. I can vary anywhere from extremely chatty to extremely untalkative. I suppose it depends on my level of comfort as well as how much I'll feel the need to talk (guilt, insecurity). I'd say I used to be much quieter, but I think I've developed a bit of Fe and do alright most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    Not exactly a chatterbox is true in my case. It really depends on the person whether I'm talkative or not. Even with some of my siblings, I'm not that talkative. It's like you really do have to draw blood from a stone. With people I do end up talking a lot to, it all draws down to how willing the person is to continue forced interaction with me.

But really, the general idea is I'm just not that talkative, especially in real life.

Guilty. I'm bad about tuning people out if they go on for too long. Each person is allotted only so much time to speak before an interjection of some sort is required... and some people really push it. It's not my fault they don't follow social etiquette. Psssh. Psychic vampires. But yeah, if someone talks for too long, my mind will retreat elsewhere. I might try to fight it at first... but other times it won't even occur to me that I'm drifting far away. When I come back to, I'll either feel a need to run away from the person or feel guilted into paying close attention.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

lol maybe he just doens't want to talk about emotional things with you :P

It is kind of surprising though that my ISTP brother actually seems to operate with more ease when there's one of those intense emotional bonding moments between us. I sort of just freeze up out of being overwhelmed by emotion. It's kind of weird. There's seems to be a flip sometimes in our relationship where he acts more like the feeler and I act more like the thinker.

Btw mundane is disgusting. Revolting. Horrible. I hope I never go on about mundane things.

ETA: I love your avatar
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post

Guilty. I'm bad about tuning people out if they go on for too long. Each person is allotted only so much time to speak before an interjection of some sort is required... and some people really push it. It's not my fault they don't follow social etiquette. Psssh. Psychic vampires. But yeah, if someone talks for too long, my mind will retreat elsewhere. I might try to fight it at first... but other times it won't even occur to me that I'm drifting far away. When I come back to, I'll either feel a need to run away from the person or feel guilted into paying close attention.
    Case in point?

thinking of you

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    Case in point?
    well... we were asked about communication, weren't we?
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    lol maybe he just doens't want to talk about emotional things with you :P

It is kind of surprising though that my ISTP brother actually seems to operate with more ease when there's one of those intense emotional bonding moments between us. I sort of just freeze up out of being overwhelmed by emotion. It's kind of weird. There's seems to be a flip sometimes in our relationship where he acts more like the feeler and I act more like the thinker.
    i think one of the problems with Fi is the need for authenticity and being genuine. sometimes speaking our emotions aloud will cheapen the actual emotion... like they'll come out sounding faking and not genuine. so even though someones an Fi, doesn't mean talking about emotions will be an easy task.
    -John Green