• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP: do you like mechanical things? (eg: factory)

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
do you find mechanical things so fascinating?
i'm not sure if this is related or not, but do u also like (or find it interesting) to work in a factory-setting?
it doesn't have to be in labor part, but at a higher position such Purchasing manager, or Production manager, or Supervisor, etc
does it intrigue & interest you?
for example: in a furniture factory, do u enjoy to watch & control the production process, for example?

because i don't know,..for me (INFP), i personally find my current factory work so dull/boring , and too-'dry' for me.
so i want to hear the perspective from the ISTPs , and if this job actually corellates with MBTI Personality, or not.
thx.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm, I don't know if I would really enjoy working in a factory, but for the general idea of mechanical things being fascinating, I definitely do.

A job I've always desired to be (not for life, but for some period of time) in is working in snowmaking for a ski area. Outdoors, large machines, with a semi-high danger level....heaven.

Rhadamanthus

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've never worked in a factory, but a factory job would be interesting to me, though, I can't say for sure. However, I would imagine that eventually, one would get bored, regardless of their type or interest.

alicia91

I'm still an ISXP so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer! But factory work would be a nightmare for me. I like work that is more 'project oriented' and while I like a predicatable general routine, I hate boring-sameness. Mechanical things don't really interest me either - I like facts, research, design and hands-on projects (where you are responsible for a finished product). :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I agree with Alicia. This is simply a stereotype of all SPs. Yet since your question is more to the environment than the type of work that you would being doing, it's hard to answer your inquiry without specifics. I think anyone who has actually worked in a factory environment should answer your question, and from that you can determine whether there seems to be a greater proportion of any certain temperament. For me, I have always had an office job, working on projects, investigations, mediations and fact-findings.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
My type is uncertain however I love all things mechanical and electronic. I own a boat, car and at one point a go kart.

Anyway, my secret dream job has always been cartographer. Specifically one who creates nautical charts. I've always been fascinated by maps.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I would hate factory work...though it's very unlikely that it'll ever happen so I guess I can't really know for sure.

I'm not very mechanical, I only learn what I need to in order to get the thing to do whatever I want it to. The knowledge is a tool for me rather than the objective.

FrisbeeLad

MBTI Type
ISTP
do you find mechanical things so fascinating?
i'm not sure if this is related or not, but do u also like (or find it interesting) to work in a factory-setting?
it doesn't have to be in labor part, but at a higher position such Purchasing manager, or Production manager, or Supervisor, etc
does it intrigue & interest you?
for example: in a furniture factory, do u enjoy to watch & control the production process, for example?

I think I'd enjoy that type of work if I were the production manager...not so much the purchasing manager. Generally, I'd prefer NOT to be a manager, but if I were I'd like to be in charge of the "process" of how things are created and the quality of the production lines. I'd be constantly thinking of how the process could be made more efficiently AND better/higher quality. It would be interesting to keep costs down. I think with some of the financial element throw in it would be even more interesting. However, if I were doing the same thing day-in-day-out I would hate that job. If things changed here and there yay!!! I'd also like the troubleshooting side of the production line if things broke down and/or we needed to find a MacGyver type of fix to keep things moving.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
My type is uncertain however I love all things mechanical and electronic. I own a boat, car and at one point a go kart.

Anyway, my secret dream job has always been cartographer. Specifically one who creates nautical charts. I've always been fascinated by maps.

Yes! I love maps--especially old maps.

Factory work = AHHHHH! I think it's really more of an SJ thing than an SP thing. The stability would be good, but I would much rather have some sort of outlet for creativity in my work. I also prefer limited, concrete projects to unending assembly lines.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I like being in a factory, and I like working with engineers. I worked as a chemist at a medium scale facility that made industrial strength detergents. They have these huge mixing vats and a network of pipes to carry the various chemicals. You walk up on the mezzanine and it's really slippery, there's wet stuff everywhere and lots of metal, confined spaces, moving parts, places to fall, weird chemicals, etc.

I might have a different opinion of factories if I had to work in there all the time, but my job allowed me to retreat to all different places within the building -- the factory, the warehouse, the labs, the engineers' testing room, my cubicle, etc.