User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    A point of curiosity for me is how these supposed "national characteristics" come to be. In my experience, the MBTI distributions are pretty much the same in every country. (If you'll pardon me for introducing anecdotal "evidence".)

The notion of culture, as most people understand it, is largely poppycock.
    What? You mean that culture doesn't exist? I always thought that if I traveled to Japan I might have trouble understanding their language, but since we're all really the same, then I guess that was just my imagination.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't see a problem with attaching a "cultural personality" to a country.

See, the national personality is not derived directly as the "sum of its parts" where "parts" = individuals.

What contributes to national personality is its actual history, its past and current interactions with other nations and how it fits into the larger world culture/economy, its own economic and political systems, the religious faiths that are prominent, its view and support of science/tech, etc.

Those are the "components" of the national personality, and individuals regardless of type might influence these things over time but usually are forced to conform to some degree.

I would say over the last 50-75 years in the US alone we have see a gradual shift from SJ behavior/attitudes to SP attitudes.

Getting back to Possum (since it's her thread) -- the ESFP reading seems to fit you well, with all of your enthusiasm for your life and openness about sharing it passionately with everyone.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Some of us half breeds who have been away for generations are still incorrigable perfectionsits...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i figure its ok to share since no one i know is gonna put a finger on me. i think i would be way more shy giving my personal details to people i do know.

I'm not too sure about Asians being INTP, I know that alot of school kids lose interest in education, but they continue to struggle on because of peer and parental pressure.

I have only met one INTP, this girl I met in uni who's....out of this world. Her friendster wall is showered with friend's comments like "clever, beautiful" etc. The kind of girl everyone is impressed by. I told her I wish I met her when she was in Singapore - she's one of those silent mysterious people who you have to probe for answers, to which she would patiently and objectively answer, and I'm always amazed by her insight. She told me she was bad at everything in school, and the system always made her feel stupid - she said she was always marked badly during Literature or other humanities subjects. I can actually imagine why, considering the ideas she gave towards "developing media systems" in her research paper gave such radical ideas that a lecturer begged her to stay another year to do her Honours in the course.

So there's very little interest (or time) for school children to be finding out about politics, national issues, or any subject that really interests them actually. Because working towards a "national goal" is a priority, and I remember having to take a course called "Social Studies". Arguably, school, at least, is authoritarian in the country.

During a social studies test, we were given a cartoon of Singaporeans queueing up to reach a buffet table and asked to comment on the country's cultural identity. Now, in that picture I could see individuals pushing each other to get to the food.

So I wrote that Singaporeans are competitive, and afraid to lose to one another even in trivial matters. I got a big fat C.

The answer apparently, which none of my classmates and I could figure out except for one extremely smart fellow, was that Singaporeans were cultured and loved good food. So I said to the teacher... but but...they're pushing each other. And the teacher said "Well you must think more...you cannot simply see what is in front of you."

And the smart fellow turned around and said: If the question is about Singapore, then write everything that's good about it.

The fact that many use their wits to "play along to a system", speaks to me about being molded into a certain characteristic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    What? You mean that culture doesn't exist? I always thought that if I traveled to Japan I might have trouble understanding their language, but since we're all really the same, then I guess that was just my imagination.
    What would you ENTPs do without straw men?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

A point of curiosity for me is how these supposed "national characteristics" come to be. In my experience, the MBTI distributions are pretty much the same in every country. (If you'll pardon me for introducing anecdotal "evidence".)
    Where have you been?

Where have you been?
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Getting back to Possum (since it's her thread) -- the ESFP reading seems to fit you well, with all of your enthusiasm for your life and openness about sharing it passionately with everyone.
    I was going to say that or ENFP. Who else would think to tie a cat too the roof of a car?
    we fukin won boys

Probably not an N. I find it very hard to visualize. In art class, I can only draw still life.

MBTI
    GONE

If you are referring to a 'monoethnic identity' by 'culture' then I agree. It's too easy to stereotype cultures, meaning assuming any and all people from country X is this and only this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I was going to say that or ENFP. Who else would think to tie a cat too the roof of a car?
    ENFPs are way too nice and cuddly to do that.

Original Post
    I went to an international school in Asia, in my 'hometown'. My classmates were extremely priveleged, sheltered, and spoiled not to mention bicultural (or at least educated for a while overseas) so it's hard to say I had a hard time due just to 'cultural' differences or expectations.

i started typing not really knowing what's my point or take on this, but since i have a clearer idea now, i think my question is actually how asians of any personality type cope with social pressure or to collective thinking.