User Tag List

123 Last

Default Any non-mechanical ISTP descriptions?

I thought someone on this forum mentioning that they had read a description of ISTPs that wasn't all mechanical. Anyone know where this might be?

I'm still on the fence between ISTP/ISFP, and I relate very well to both. My thinking style might be more ISTP but the descriptions sound NOTHING like me - mechanical, explosives , dare-devil (OK, I like rollercoasters), and I relate much better to the ISFP descriptions. Or I'm just a mix and should keep the X in that spot!

MBTI
    INTJ

Randomnity wrote about this once at my request:

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The description I find most accurate for me is this one:
    ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

It's long and detailed, and mostly spot-on, unlike the personalitypage and typelogic ones, which only vaguely describe me. I especially like that it doesn't assume all ISTPs are interested in high-risk sports (I think doing anything that has a high risk of killing me is stupid) and fixing cars (doubt I'd fix it if I had one). I also like that it includes female ISTP traits, whereas other descriptions are mostly ISTP male-oriented (though most INTP descriptions are like this as well...probably INTJ too for that matter). I haven't read the other type descriptions there though, other than skimming through INTP briefly.

I also like this one: ISTP because it's written from a first-person point of view, so it's easier to recognize the mindset. It is kinda vague though.
    I really like the idea behind the descriptions at the second link which are compiled from actual quotes with individuals of the type in question. However, I haven't used the site much yet to help people type themselves, so I haven't confirmed if it's really better than the others.

MBTI
    ENTP

I dunno... don't go by the stereotypes though cos if I did then I wouldn't be an NT. I can't stand science.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Thanks that was a great description.

Yep, I'll be careful not to go by the stereotypes, easier said then done though when in some cases they name the type by a stereotype - The Mechanic for instance.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Thanks that was a great description.

Yep, I'll be careful not to go by the stereotypes, easier said then done though when in some cases they name the type by a stereotype - The Mechanic for instance.
    You're welcome, and yeah, I've gone at that particular title too. (I prefer ISTP - The Troubleshooter.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I thought someone on this forum mentioning that they had read a description of ISTPs that wasn't all mechanical. Anyone know where this might be?

I'm still on the fence between ISTP/ISFP, and I relate very well to both. My thinking style might be more ISTP but the descriptions sound NOTHING like me - mechanical, explosives , dare-devil (OK, I like rollercoasters), and I relate much better to the ISFP descriptions. Or I'm just a mix and should keep the X in that spot!
    I like this description.

ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

"ISTPs who do not have technical or mechanical interests often use their talents to bring order out of unorganized facts. This ability can find expression in law, economics, marketing, sales, securities, or statistics."

ISTPs who do not have technical or mechanical interests often use their talents to bring order out of unorganized facts
    I am VERY good at this, I'm also good at bringing order to chaotic situations - seeing the 'real issue' and such. Interesting. (I used to think that this was a J-characteristic)

Edit - thanks "?". No, I haven't been to INTPC (just at Similarminds before coming here). I'm going to have to check out the the gook Gifts Differing, sounds very interesting. Like you I also relate to ESTP, I guess it's because I'm only about 55/45 I verus E, and on some days I actually score as E.

MBTI
    TiSe

Stereotype Alicia. Some refer to mechanics, however it's just my theory that for some reason tool usage (which could be language, ability to write, use a camera, computer or anything that is an extension from the limb) metamorphised into being mechanically inclined. I was asked to compile some information this week at work and because it was sensitive I had to write it down. I hadn't written more than my signature in almost a decade. In fact, I don't sign letters, I use the fonts from the computer.

Or a better theory is that SPs in general like to know the mechanics of doing something in order to do it well and look good when doing it, therefore throughout time it may have changed from having a need to know the mechanics (basic principles) of how something works or doing something well, to being mechanically inclined. As I said this is only my opinion and I have no facts to back that up.

I would not quickly dismiss the Composer-Producer(or ISFP) description. That description reigns true for me equally. Granted, I have merely narrowed my choices to most likely preferring the Improviser (SP) temperament. Much of this is based on Dr. Berens and Dario Nardi’s recent work on revamping the names and tweaking the descriptions of the SP temperaments in order for us to recognize ourselves and eliminate some fallacies by Keirsey. I was able to eventually determine that I was not an NT and understand my reasons for the fallacy. I have also narrowed my choice to most likely preferring Chart the Course interaction style to definitely Behind the Scenes, since I have been able to determine that type looks like in observing my Supervisor. I simply lose it, in his need to control information that hinders my need to get a project completed. I could have an In Charge interaction style, because I consciously know that I am truly dismissing that type due to a single phrase, “gets things done through people”. Yet the ESTP can and does enjoy working independently and autonomously.
    Last edited by "?"; 02-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

The stereotypes don't really fit.

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I have also narrowed my choice to most likely preferring Chart the Course
    Tho I'm not an ISTP, this description fits the way I am when it comes to hobbies, and my preferred way of working.

Analyzer Operator
    ISTP

Actively solving problems. Observing how things work. Talent for using tools for the best approach. Need to be independent. Act on their hunches or intuitions. Understanding a situation. Taking things apart. Making discoveries. Sharing those discoveries.
    I'm a lot more mechanically inclined then I am anything else. I've been taking stuff apart since I was < 4yrs old. I'm good at improvising when something breaks and I need to find a way to fix it. And I'm always trying to teach people how to do it as well. In a lot of ways I prefer the modification side of things. Back when I worked on an MMORPG Dev team I spent most of my time figuring out how things worked, how I could twist unused things to use them in new ways, and how to build new systems that were open ended to further increase what was possible. I always preferred to work alone as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'm a lot more mechanically inclined then I am anything else. I've been taking stuff apart since I was < 4yrs old. I'm good at improvising when something breaks and I need to find a way to fix it.
    Then you do not fit even Keirsey's basic utilitarian v. cooperative style of handling materials. Based on temperament, the average NF or SJ would never consider taking apart their toys. They're just not that utilitarian. They would also rather have a clean vehicle that sometimes run, as opposed to an ugly dirty vehicle that gets them from point A to B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And I'm always trying to teach people how to do it as well. In a lot of ways I prefer the modification side of things. Back when I worked on an MMORPG Dev team I spent most of my time figuring out how things worked, how I could twist unused things to use them in new ways, and how to build new systems that were open ended to further increase what was possible. I always preferred to work alone as well.
    With all due respect, how the did you ever come up with INFP? One thing that I may add is that SPs are not good at improvising, they PREFER TO IMPROVISE as a core value, as much as Theorists (NT) types prefer to know and master something before taking action.