User Tag List

First 456

I'm going to move the discussion about myself into my original post in the What's My Type forum (which I was using as a journal). I've obviously steered this thread into a much too personal direction.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, I would have liked to see them all in bullet format and/or all in prose format.

I think I have to agree with you on a "Just the facts ma'am" approach. I just wish all type description methods were treated equally.

My Ni tends not to have an attention span long enough to constantly read too many things in the outer world. I often have trouble comprehending text.
    One thing that I usually do is a side-by-side comparison of two descriptions, putting them into a table, listing the sentences in bullet format and going along omitting those part of the descriptions that do not pertain to me. In the end what remains is what I go with.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    One thing that I usually do is a side-by-side comparison of two descriptions, putting them into a table, listing the sentences in bullet format and going along omitting those part of the descriptions that do not pertain to me. In the end what remains is what I go with.
    That works, but it is only accurate to the extent that the profile is thorough.

It might be safer to use a few different profiles from each type to compare. That way, the chances go up that you are getting a fuller description of each type, and therefore more accurate results.

It's strange, but I am so self-critical that I had to compare the "faults" of each type.
    I couldn't recognize myself in the good qualities.

MBTI
    istp

Memo to self, when arguing with an INTJ keep maybe 2-3 books on the subject at hand ready.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    That works, but it is only accurate to the extent that the profile is thorough. It might be safer to use a few different profiles from each type to compare. That way, the chances go up that you are getting a fuller description of each type, and therefore more accurate results.
    I only do my comparision with descriptions that I find thorough, accurate and has a 90% chance of being me. Otherwise, it's quite apparent that the descriptions laced with too many sterotypes and has that boxed in theme to it will get no consideration, let alone my time in making the comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    It's strange, but I am so self-critical that I had to compare the "faults" of each type. I couldn't recognize myself in the good qualities.
    That's not strange. That's being realistic. The average person is just that "average" at best and can vacillate. To maintain the epitome of any type description on a consisten basis, is unrealistic.

MBTI
    ISTP

back to more of the original topic - I'm not really into mechanics at all. I don't care for explosives. I love roller coasters. I think power tools are cool, but I've never used them...I can watch carpentry shows all day long. This Old House is one of the coolest! Trading Spaces isn't my cup of tea though; their styles totally clash with mine.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I thought someone on this forum mentioning that they had read a description of ISTPs that wasn't all mechanical. Anyone know where this might be?

I'm still on the fence between ISTP/ISFP, and I relate very well to both. My thinking style might be more ISTP but the descriptions sound NOTHING like me - mechanical, explosives , dare-devil (OK, I like rollercoasters), and I relate much better to the ISFP descriptions. Or I'm just a mix and should keep the X in that spot!
    I'm definitrely ISTP, but not so much mechanical--partly because I'm not very mathematically gifted. But I do love working with my hands, especially on projects that require creativity & design. I also love music and play three different instruments. I like experiencing new things, too, like going a new restaurant to try food from another culture. And speed. I do like speed: motorcycles, ice skating, roller coasters, horseback riding, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    back to more of the original topic - I'm not really into mechanics at all. I don't care for explosives. I love roller coasters. I think power tools are cool, but I've never used them...I can watch carpentry shows all day long. This Old House is one of the coolest! Trading Spaces isn't my cup of tea though; their styles totally clash with mine.
    AHH! I LOVE This Old House! One of my dream jobs would be to buy up old houses/buildings, have my own team that would fix them up, then sell them. I could watch that show for hours. New Yankee Workshop, too. I wish I had the knowledge, tools, and skill to do what Norm Abram does with wood. I mean, he's like--"Yes. Well, today I'm going to replicate this 18th century whatever." And he does it.

I don't think one needs to be mechanically inclined (although, I suppose I am). It's a vague description. As if everything had to be focused on machines or craft work. You could tool around with just about anything. The underlying thought process is what matters.

I think Bruce Lee was an ISTp, for example, but he focused on tweaking his physique (Not to mention his efficiency in martial arts). If you read the book The Art of Expressing the Human Body (which are just notes on fitness, not martial arts) you'll see that he takes a very mechanical approach to it. He wasn't just a general fitness nut.. It's like he's almost a scientist about it. Really detailed stuff on anatomy and things like that.

But it's interesting that while he was a "mechanic" with his own body, he wasn't mechanically inclined enough to build things himself. "He used to send me all of these designs for exercise equipment," says George Lee, "and I'd build them according to his specs. However, I wasn't altogether foolish," he says with a laugh, "I knew that if Bruce was going to use it, it must be effective, so I'd build one to send to him and another for me to use at home!"