User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 59

  1. #21
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Hmm....but a lot of the tests and books ask questions about this. The book Nurture By Nature for example lists things that I describe (or my husband would describe!) as high-maintenace (at least to an ENTJ) - "Are sensitive and empathetic; take most things personally, want harmony and affection, want to be praised for their personal contributions and cooperative spirit" versus T - "Are objective and analytical;don't take things personally, want fairness and justice, want to be praised for their independence and achievements"

    I'm definately a F if this is part of the criteria! I'm very sensitive to criticism (will remember it for years), and don't believe in fairness per se - I believe that fairness is relative.



    Aha - that's the problem with typing me. With every type I've thought to be there is something major which I'm the opposite of or just don't ring true.



    Well...when I first started learning about MBTI several years ago I scored as INTJ - but I'm not that cold and rational, and I'm much more socially easy-going (among many other things). So I dismissed the whole thing and revisited it about a year ago and while I find it facinating....I'm obviously having issues 'finding myself!' But the core issue for me with MBTI is that I'm getting conflicting advice about whether do accept what comes 'naturally' _ in my case - bad with money, disorganized, procrastination, etc. or going by what I "do" daily. I've said this before but I'm a huge believer in personal growth and development, figuring out what is working and what isn't and taking steps to improve myself to be the best I can be. I'm VERY future oriented and am always 'striving' for something down the road.



    My age? - I claim to be 40 but I've been 40 for three years now.



    I'm going to study it more thoroughly, but my first reaction was that perhaps I was taking Improvising to mean a slightly different thing. Like if I was to give a big speech at a convention for business colleagues I wouldn't just wing it. I would have it written and practiced at least a couple of times. But I see they mean Improvisor in a much bigger sense and much of it rings very true.

    "?" - you've written a lot of great information that I'm going to spend some time thinking about. Thank you for all your help. I'm very curious about what you said about possibly confusing S and J-ness. Fascinating.
    Might you be an INFJ?

  2. #22
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Hmm....but a lot of the tests and books ask questions about this. The book Nurture By Nature for example lists things that I describe (or my husband would describe!) as high-maintenace (at least to an ENTJ) - "Are sensitive and empathetic; take most things personally, want harmony and affection, want to be praised for their personal contributions and cooperative spirit" versus T - "Are objective and analytical;don't take things personally, want fairness and justice, want to be praised for their independence and achievements"
    The Paul and Barbara Barron-Tieger collection were some of the first books that I purchased on type. I have "The Art of Speedreading", "Do What You Are", "Nurture By Nature" and "Just Your Type". You will quickly outgrow those books if you continue to study the subject. In hindsight, there are many books that I would have not purchased, instead investing in Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi's work. But back on point, Ti dominant types are highly sensitive. In fact the average INTP admits to being HSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I'm definately a F if this is part of the criteria! I'm very sensitive to criticism (will remember it for years), and don't believe in fairness per se - I believe that fairness is relative.
    If you claim to be that way in a healthy state, then you could be a feeling type. However if this makes you feel uncomfortable, then you may be repressing your sensitivity. All introverted thinking types (not Ti) are sensitive. They just attempt to repress or hide it from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Aha - that's the problem with typing me. With every type I've thought to be there is something major which I'm the opposite of or just don't ring true.
    One of my greatest problems throughout the years of attempting to determine my type was to overanalyze sentences, paragraphs and phrases. Until I began reading the matieral's overall theme, I was simply stuck. I don't agree with an entire description of even my favorites, however I do see the similarities and overall theme. Basically I am highly analytical with a need to apply any theory and see immediate results. That makes me a STP and the fact that my energy is focused inward, makes me ISTP. That's the very expedient self-analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Well...when I first started learning about MBTI several years ago I scored as INTJ - but I'm not that cold and rational, and I'm much more socially easy-going (among many other things). So I dismissed the whole thing and revisited it about a year ago and while I find it facinating....I'm obviously having issues 'finding myself!' But the core issue for me with MBTI is that I'm getting conflicting advice about whether do accept what comes 'naturally' _ in my case - bad with money, disorganized, procrastination, etc. or going by what I "do" daily. I've said this before but I'm a huge believer in personal growth and development, figuring out what is working and what isn't and taking steps to improve myself to be the best I can be. I'm VERY future oriented and am always 'striving' for something down the road.
    I don't think you can dismiss INTJ for the reasons stated, in particularly if you have a poor usage of your Te. On the other hand, all types have their stress points. Foreseer-Developers (INFJ) can be stressed from attempts at living an idealistic life, which calls them to withdraw. Conceptualizer-Directors (INTJ) find it difficult to let go when interacting with others. Analyzer-Operators are usually unsettled by powerful emotional experiences and Composer-Producers (ISFP) struggle with nurturing their own self esteem.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    My age? - I claim to be 40 but I've been 40 for three years now.
    LOL… okay, however I have been 40 a few more times than you and I realize that I can easily misuse my auxiliary (Se) in a defensive manner, by limiting my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    ….If I was to give a big speech at a convention for business colleagues I wouldn't just wing it. I would have it written and practiced at least a couple of times. But I see they mean Improvisor in a much bigger sense and much of it rings very true.
    I would prepare not nearly as much as you, but once in the moment I am going to improvise and adapt to the audience. In fact my eyes glaze over when I observe speakers give a speech verbatim from their notes. I just don’t see that as being sincere.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I'm very curious about what you said about possibly confusing S and J-ness. Fascinating.
    Well, I would have to find my post, to a response to Athenian to give you an indication. It’s just my theory, but I gave some sample questions where a NJ may answer to sensing questions and SP to judging questions. One quick example is that SPs can misidentify needing immediate impact and expediency as needing closure. Also SP types can easily see the big picture, which usually correlates with intuitive types and, as opposed to SJ types, we do have our heads in the clouds. Also both NJ and SP types will only appreciate theory if it’s applicable, SPs more than NJs. Good luck but as I have always suggested to introverts, determine your Temperament, then your Interaction Style and you’re home free.

  3. #23
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    You're discounting the personality trait behind it then. The point of the sleeper is to hide whats on the inside. It's basically a shell in which one hides the true nature behind. On the outside it's basic, and plain ordinary looking. Hidden tho is the true nature, that fire inside that is not shown to just anyone and only comes out when pushed showing that you do actually in fact have teeth and will bite back harder then they could have imagined.
    Hey no argument here. If you are comfortable with INFP, then okay. In fact, your thoughts confirm my constant arguments of the horrific stereotypes in typing. I actually relate equally well to the Composer-Producer (ISFP) description, and have been doing some self-analysis of whether as a male, I tend to appear more direct than informative.

  4. #24
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Hey no argument here. If you are comfortable with INFP, then okay. In fact, your thoughts confirm my constant arguments of the horrific stereotypes in typing. I actually relate equally well to the Composer-Producer (ISFP) description, and have been doing some self-analysis of whether as a male, I tend to appear more direct than informative.
    I can take a bit of the ISTP, and INTP stereotypical traits, but I'm largely INFP at my core

    The Stereotypes are good for a general guide line, but they can't fit everyone to a T.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  5. #25
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Hmm....but a lot of the tests and books ask questions about this. ....
    Want to try a new test?

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post130412

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    This was a really difficult test! There were several questions which I didn't know how to answer because none of the options fit, nevertheless, I made my best attempt. Usually I don't score this strongly on introversion nor so strongly feeling.

    Results
    Introversion (I): 13 versus Extroversion (E): 2
    Sensing (S): 7 versus Intuition (N): 7
    Thinking (T): 2 versus Feeling (F): 15
    Judging (J): 5 versus Perceiving (P): 5

    Making your MBTI code:

    I X F X

  7. #27
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    This was a really difficult test! There were several questions which I didn't know how to answer because none of the options fit, nevertheless, I made my best attempt. Usually I don't score this strongly on introversion nor so strongly feeling.

    Results
    Introversion (I): 13 versus Extroversion (E): 2
    Sensing (S): 7 versus Intuition (N): 7
    Thinking (T): 2 versus Feeling (F): 15
    Judging (J): 5 versus Perceiving (P): 5

    Making your MBTI code:

    I X F X
    Did you know that you could check more than one box for each question?

  8. #28
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Let's take a close-up look at all the questions,
    if you have the time to work on this.
    Once we've helped you discern what exactly they're asking you,
    you can go take the test again, and hopefully get more definitive results!

    You're allowed to check 2 boxes under each question.
    For question #1, I could honestly check all 3 boxes, but I had to leave one out.

    Just share with us what you're thinking or feeling as you read each one, or at least the ones that are confusing you.


    1. Do you like your room to be primarily:
    (a) a private sanctuary
    (b) an organised work area
    (c) a place to entertain friends

    2. Do you tend to base your decisions on:
    (a) experience
    (b) emotions
    (c) hunches and instincts

    3. Are you more uncomfortable with:
    (a) making decisions
    (b) breaking rules
    (c) making rules

    4. Do you feel uncomfortable with:
    (a) unfinished business
    (b) having to finish a work in progress
    (c) working on a project alone

    5. Do you have:
    (a) an organised perspective on life
    (b) a broad perspective on life (you are part of a wider picture)
    (c) a deep perspective on life (you look beneath the surface of what goes on)

    6. do you tend to think about:
    (a) possibilities
    (b) actualities
    (c) aspects of your life

    7. After watching a film, do you prefer to:
    (a) discuss the film critically
    (b) discuss what you enjoyed about the film
    (c) imagine what could have happened after the film

    8. When working on a project, is it most important that you:
    (a) work hard
    (b) finish the work before it's due
    (c) hold back finishing to ensure you have the all facts.

    9. When you are depressed or upset, do you:
    (a) spend some time by yourself
    (b) distract yourself by helping others
    (c) go out and see some friends

    10. Do you value your:
    (a) common sense
    (b) imagination
    (c) decisiveness

    11. If you are in charge of a group, would you:
    (a) be firm, but fair
    (b) be uncomfortable
    (c) be persuasive

    12. If you are romantically interested in someone, do you:
    (a) seek some kind of resolution
    (b) see what happens
    (c) fantasise about what could happen, however unrealistic

    13. At a party do you:
    (a) interact with many people and enjoy it
    (b) leave early if you aren't enjoying it
    (c) observe what happens with interest

    14. On TV do you watch primarily:
    (a) soaps and dramas
    (b) science fiction (e.g. 'X Files', 'Star Trek')
    (c) nothing in particular - you prefer to go out

    15. Do you believe in:
    (a) the facts
    (b) justice
    (c) being humane

    16. Do you prefer:
    (a) being in full control of your life
    (b) enjoy doing lots of different social activities
    (c) let life happen - go with the flow

    17. Would you prefer to have:
    (a) many friends
    (b) a few, close friends
    (c) opportunities to help your friends

    18. Do you like your house to be full of:
    (a) options - a variety of things to choose from
    (b) useful things
    (c) interesting and imaginative things

    19. Is your room usually:
    (a) scrupulously tidy
    (b) comfortably anarchic (you know where everything is)
    (c) practically arranged

    20. When looking at a piece of art, do you generally:
    (a) just like or dislike it without reasons
    (b) look at it as possible inspiration
    (c) assess it

    21. Are you interested in:
    (a) what happens around you
    (b) your reactions to what happens around you
    (c) the possibilities offered by what happens around you

    22. When thinking about the future, do you:
    (a) prefer not to plan ahead
    (b) think what could realistically happen
    (c) speculate as to what could possibly happen

    23. When one of your friends is upset, do you:
    (a) offer sympathy
    (b) offer objective advice
    (c) offer a plan of action

    24. If something needs doing (a report; the washing up) do you prefer to:
    (a) have a system for dealing with it
    (b) do it as soon as possible
    (c) do it when it has to be done (not at all, if possible)

    25. In your spare time, do you like to:
    (a) conserve your energy for when you need it
    (b) read books or watch films
    (c) be physically active

    26. Do you think of yourself as:
    (a) practical
    (b) ingenious
    (c) decisive

    27. Do you think people would accuse you of:
    (a) being closed off
    (b) being too ruled by your principles
    (c) being swayed by your values

    28. Would you like your friends to see you as:
    (a) devoted
    (b) flexible
    (c) helpful at organising things

    29. Do you think your friends see you as:
    (a) sociable
    (b) down-to-earth
    (c) someone who knows when not to interfere

    30. Do you live in:
    (a) the present - what is in your life
    (b) the future - what could be in your life
    (c) the past - what was in your life

    31. Do you like to be able to:
    (a) help your friends
    (b) understand your friends
    (c) have fun times with your friends

    32. Is your usual strategy:
    (a) plan ahead
    (b) analyse and implement
    (c) adapt as you go

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Thank for helping Mom! No I didn't realize that I could pick more than one option.

    1. Do you like your room to be primarily:
    (a) a private sanctuary - yes
    (b) an organised work area - yes
    (c) a place to entertain friends - yes

    Why does it say 'room?' Do they mean my overall home, my bedroom? Which room? I find this impossible to answer without more information. OK, when pressed I'll remove #2

    2. Do you tend to base your decisions on:
    (a) experience - sure. For example, it's been my experience that the EggMcmuffin is grizzly, so I'll order the Sausage McMuffin.
    (b) emotions- Yes. My son is stressed at school and I let him have an extra sick day because I feel sorry for him.
    (c) hunches and instincts - I have a hunch that a couple of people on the committee aren't doing what they are supposed to so I'll make some follow up phone calls.

    Again, all of the aboive.

    3. Are you more uncomfortable with:
    (a) making decisions
    (b) breaking rules
    (c) making rules

    I'm not in the slightest bit uncomfortable with any of them. But I guess I don't want to end up in prison so I wouldn't break any major laws.

    4. Do you feel uncomfortable with:
    (a) unfinished business
    (b) having to finish a work in progress
    (c) working on a project alone

    What is the difference between a and b?

    5. Do you have:
    (a) an organised perspective on life
    (b) a broad perspective on life (you are part of a wider picture)
    (c) a deep perspective on life (you look beneath the surface of what goes on)

    A & B. I have certain big goals in life that I take steps towards. I tend to work backwards from the goal and make it into logical steps. But these are only for the biggies. I get too stressed if I have too many organized goals so other parts of my life I like to be less organized about and just let it happen.


    6. do you tend to think about:
    (a) possibilities
    (b) actualities
    (c) aspects of your life

    A & B. I tend to look at the NOW, then look at what I want it to BE, then figure out my path to get there.

    7. After watching a film, do you prefer to:
    (a) discuss the film critically
    (b) discuss what you enjoyed about the film
    (c) imagine what could have happened after the film

    A and B equally.

    8. When working on a project, is it most important that you:
    (a) work hard
    (b) finish the work before it's due
    (c) hold back finishing to ensure you have the all facts.

    B & C - just depends what it is. If it's something that I dislike I tend to just get it done and submitted. If it's something very important or significant then I tend to spend more time on it and ensure that I have everything - I might even ask for an extension.

    9. When you are depressed or upset, do you:
    (a) spend some time by yourself
    (b) distract yourself by helping others
    (c) go out and see some friends

    a & c - First I will do a, then once I've processed what is going on, I'll start calling my friends

    10. Do you value your:
    (a) common sense
    (b) imagination
    (c) decisiveness

    None of the above really. Sure I think I have great common sense. Am I imaginative - sure? do I value it? only if it has a purpose and leads to something tangible.

    11. If you are in charge of a group, would you:
    (a) be firm, but fair
    (b) be uncomfortable
    (c) be persuasive

    Maybe c. I don't mind leading at all, actually I kind of like it. I love input from the people I'm leading but at the same time I think I have decent persuasive skills.

    12. If you are romantically interested in someone, do you:
    (a) seek some kind of resolution
    (b) see what happens
    (c) fantasise about what could happen, however unrealistic

    All of the above. If I was single it would be a combination of a & b. Now that I'm married it definately C.

    13. At a party do you:
    (a) interact with many people and enjoy it
    (b) leave early if you aren't enjoying it
    (c) observe what happens with interest

    Eh..none really. I will immediately find familiar faces and strike up converstations and enjoy myself.

    14. On TV do you watch primarily:
    (a) soaps and dramas
    (b) science fiction (e.g. 'X Files', 'Star Trek')
    (c) nothing in particular - you prefer to go out

    None. I only watch HGTV, A & E, reality TV shows like Survivor, Super Nanny, some movies (comedies, mysteries, thrillers) and some news

    15. Do you believe in:
    (a) the facts
    (b) justice
    (c) being humane

    A & C. I like to know the facts but I'll always be humane. I could never put someone on death row for example.

    16. Do you prefer:
    (a) being in full control of your life
    (b) enjoy doing lots of different social activities
    (c) let life happen - go with the flow

    A & C. Again, some BIG things like doing a good job raising my kids, having career goals, etc. are A. But I let a lot of other things just happen. Totally depends what it is.


    17. Would you prefer to have:
    (a) many friends
    (b) a few, close friends
    (c) opportunities to help your friends

    I'd like to have many friends if I had the time, but I don't so I'm happy to have a few, close friends.

    18. Do you like your house to be full of:
    (a) options - a variety of things to choose from
    (b) useful things
    (c) interesting and imaginative things

    A - Options. B is a close second. I get bored easily.

    19. Is your room usually:
    (a) scrupulously tidy
    (b) comfortably anarchic (you know where everything is)
    (c) practically arranged

    B

    20. When looking at a piece of art, do you generally:
    (a) just like or dislike it without reasons
    (b) look at it as possible inspiration
    (c) assess it

    A & C. I might be inspired to create a piece of art, but I'm generally not inspired by OTHER's artwork even if I think it's interesting.

    21. Are you interested in:
    (a) what happens around you
    (b) your reactions to what happens around you
    (c) the possibilities offered by what happens around you

    A & C. First a then followed by C. The neighbor's babysitter just quit - how inconvienent for them. Hmmm...perhaps I can hire her?

    22. When thinking about the future, do you:
    (a) prefer not to plan ahead
    (b) think what could realistically happen
    (c) speculate as to what could possibly happen

    C. then immediately followed by b which tends to put a damper on things. Wow, wouldn't it be great if my daugther could get into med school and become a doctor...she is so smart and hard working...........but she hates blood and guts so it ain't going to happen.

    23. When one of your friends is upset, do you:
    (a) offer sympathy
    (b) offer objective advice
    (c) offer a plan of action

    All, but I'll say C mostly. I'm known for taking apart problems and solving them piece by piece.

    24. If something needs doing (a report; the washing up) do you prefer to:
    (a) have a system for dealing with it
    (b) do it as soon as possible
    (c) do it when it has to be done (not at all, if possible)

    I have no idea. Just depends on what it is. If pressed a & c

    25. In your spare time, do you like to:
    (a) conserve your energy for when you need it
    (b) read books or watch films
    (c) be physically active

    None. I prefer to lunch with my friends and shop.

    26. Do you think of yourself as:
    (a) practical
    (b) ingenious
    (c) decisive

    A.

    27. Do you think people would accuse you of:
    (a) being closed off
    (b) being too ruled by your principles
    (c) being swayed by your values

    I don't know. Not a.

    28. Would you like your friends to see you as:
    (a) devoted
    (b) flexible
    (c) helpful at organising things

    Completely depens on the situation or issue.

    29. Do you think your friends see you as:
    (a) sociable
    (b) down-to-earth
    (c) someone who knows when not to interfere

    C

    30. Do you live in:
    (a) the present - what is in your life
    (b) the future - what could be in your life
    (c) the past - what was in your life

    B. But it's strongly influenced by A

    31. Do you like to be able to:
    (a) help your friends
    (b) understand your friends
    (c) have fun times with your friends

    A and C

    32. Is your usual strategy:
    (a) plan ahead
    (b) analyse and implement
    (c) adapt as you go

    Ahh....I don't know. I do all of the above. Because I'm future oriented and break down my goals I'm obviously planning some things ahead. This tends to be for my major life goals, but more most things it might be B. Sometimes C for less critical things.

    I repeated the test twice using my answers and once I got ENFP and the next time ESFP (couldn't choose all three options so I changed it around). Why am I coming out as E?

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Well, I think the ISTP description at the Murray State website is quite unbiased. However, I really hate the fact that some of the type descriptions are written in list while others are written in prose.

    As for me, I am always stuck between INTJ and ENTP. I do not think that my dominant function is Ti -- I tend to express ideas first and question the logic of them later. And many times, my ideas tend to be half-baked and lack a follow through as I come up with another idea, which also lacks a follow-through and so on -- that seems to be an ENTP trait.

    But based on the Cognitive Functions test, I constantly score high on both Ne and Ni.

    EDIT: I also hate the way some descriptions pigeonhole N's as being avid readers. I actually don't like to read that much (or at least long texts) because I have a short attention span. I do, however, like to write (and read) my own ideas.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP Description
    By Poki in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM
  2. [ISTP] Wiki project - ISTP description
    By Randomnity in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
  3. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. [ISTP] ISTP Description
    By JustDave in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO