• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Things That Break Focus

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I hate it when I'm totally focused on something and I keep getting nagging distractions, like the IM window flashing, etc. It totally breaks my concentration and I can't zone it out like an N might. My concentration feels broken up into a million pieces, with a staccato beat.

Also, I hate it when I'm trying to do something full-speed and I hit speedbumps like slow software, etc. It irritates me and makes me feel like it takes at least twice as long to do something, even if the interruptions only technically take up a portion of the time. It's because I'm always gathering momentum, and if nothing stops me, I end up going lightning speed... kinda scary, actually.

Any other SPs ever feel this way?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Ya I do, it's one of my pet peeves I hate being bothered period by anything.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not an SP but I'm the same way. I don't like interruptions, usually. Once I get into a task, I eventually get into a groove and if I'm interrupted, it can be difficult to re-establish that groove.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I'm making headway with something, it's easy for clingers or other annoyances to piss me off. But I try to tolerate it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe it's an Se dom thing what you describe because I can zone out pretty good sometimes. I call it Tumbleweed Syndrome. No thoughts going through my head. The breeze can blow straight through my ears. :p

Apparently I look like I'm deep in thought because someone always asks me what I'm thinking about.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe it's an Se dom thing what you describe because I can zone out pretty good sometimes.

Interesting! If I get bored, I doze off in meetings, but I can't say that I'm zoned out. I might be thinking of things that are actually "interesting" to me, but never really just unfocused thought that is non-specific to my immediate goings on. I like to be on top of my immediate goings on, so if it is anything of any significance I will at least give it my "B" game, which precludes "zoning out." :laugh:

I call it Tumbleweed Syndrome. No thoughts going through my head. The breeze can blow straight through my ears. :p

I'd fucking pay HUGE money to have that shit go on in my head! :doh: Most of the time if I am not paying attention to what is going on around me, it is because I am obsessing over something else. When I have meditated, I got as close to "having breeze blow straight throguh my ears" and it was kick ass. It was actually way better than a Red Bull. I felt totally invigorated the rest of the day. But, by default, I'm a busy motherfucker, and the person that has seen me stand still is a rare bird indeed... :newwink:

Apparently I look like I'm deep in thought because someone always asks me what I'm thinking about.

No one EVER asks me what I am thinking about because I tell EVERYONE exactly what is on my mind ALL THE TIME. :ranting: :yim_rolling_on_the_

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe it's an Se dom thing what you describe because I can zone out pretty good sometimes. I call it Tumbleweed Syndrome. No thoughts going through my head. The breeze can blow straight through my ears. :p

I've seen this with my ISTP. It's nice and mellow and chill and hard to believe because it really does look like you're in deep thought. If you're used to hyperactive or high strung people, it can take some getting used to.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I have meditated, I got as close to "having breeze blow straight throguh my ears" and it was kick ass.

Halla...you know what's strange? I cannot meditate. I don't like it. In order to relax I have to beat the crap out of myself with some activity. My body has to feel a bit fatigued in order for me to feel really relaxed or rejuvenated.

Giggly...If I think about it, it probably starts off as us thinking about something and then we slowly stop thinking so our face stays that way. LOL...IDK...

KDude

I'm chill/recreation/fun seeking. Anything other than that is a distraction. I'm really busy and focused when it comes to not being busy and focused. I missed a 137 days my first year of highschool. It hasn't improved much since.

Sunny Ghost

I hate it when I'm totally focused on something and I keep getting nagging distractions, like the IM window flashing, etc. It totally breaks my concentration and I can't zone it out like an N might. My concentration feels broken up into a million pieces, with a staccato beat.
totally can relate. a friend of mine was having a serious convo with me the other day. but i had such a hard time focusing on her words because she was standing opposite of her kitchen window at dusk. the sun was shining orange between the blinds and distorting her face in my mind. i just kept focusing on the sun on her face and how they created these lines.

however, other times... i'm completely undistractable. i suppose it depends on whether i'm focused internally or externally. if focused externally, then i can be distracted by other external factors. but if i'm focusing on something internally... i can be kind of lost in a bubble.

xNightBlade7

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've seen this with my ISTP. It's nice and mellow and chill and hard to believe because it really does look like you're in deep thought. If you're used to hyperactive or high strung people, it can take some getting used to.

I've been there before, just staring off in to the distance, feeling the wind and sun on my skin...nothing going on in my head-just experiencing. People usually walk up to me like mentioned, and ask what I'm thinking about. When I say "nothing" it goes one of two ways, the other person just says, "Alright," and that's that or they just nag me for 5 minutes saying, "No really, you can tell me, what were you thinking about?" *facepalm* <------Probably one of the most annoying things someone can do-not take what I say at face value.

As far as the OP goes, any kind of noise/sight/touch distracts me. Like you said, flashing notifications. Things like, blinds waving back and forth, light flickering, birds chirping etc.