• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Is Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill an ISFP?

KDude

Fair enough. I understand what you mean now. That said, I don't necessarily want to be liked as a byproduct of type. That's still a pretty big difference. I appreciate closer connections though.

I disagree that there could be that dramatic of an angle on her type. Lets say I've shifted my understanding of MBTI to just humbling myself towards people like Quenk (who helps author the official MBTI manuals btw) or seeing actual examples of types. It's not my system, so whatever.

wolfy

awsm
It really just amused me that people saw isfp that way, I think isfp are pretty friendly but you can see how that can work to an isfp's advantage too. At least on a forum, it is just amusing. See what I mean? It is more of an observation of how people think than anything.

There is always some angle from someone. That is how I see these type threads evolve.

I see myself as isfp over istp because of a people orientation. I see myself as an esfp with a governor on. I was thinking about the heart disease thing you brought up on the way to work. I was in a really good mood, my heart was racing. I wondered if I'd meet an early demise.

KDude

I'm getting off the point here, but if you see differences in yourself with a lot of typical ISFP descriptions, yet don't type as T because you're mostly cool to people, you should look into socionics. I think I suggested it once. There are still big differences with ISFps.. if you say you're people oriented then you are more ISFp probably, but anyone who's got a smile or something isn't an F. The colder ISTp that people are probably more used to is just a logical subtype. The sensory type is the more laid back, even stylish or artistic out of the two, which could get them confused with Fs.

[ISTp-S]
Aesthete, disposed to obtaining pleasant sensations. Is considerably more gregarious than the initial subtype. More optimistic, but less operational. Sybaritic epicure. Dresses with taste, chooses clothes that emphasize their good looks, selects clothes according to colour. The sensory subtype is modest and non-demonstrative, constrained and polite, obstinate and uncompromising in regards to upholding their interests. Give concrete, logical reasons, rather than far-fetched ones, when explaining themselves. From time to time become thoughtful and isolate themselves from friends in order to plunge into their problems. Restrained in dialogue, they are laconic but at times try forcing a smile if they feel that there is intensity in the conversation. Dress with taste, like original, but modest, items of quality; watch over their health and figure: an aesthete. Enjoy manual labor, they are careful, laborious, patient and persistent; if in business will tirelessly improve production – material or intellectual – though sometimes they require a change of employment. Gestures tend to be graceful and lazy, smooth and thus confident in exact movements. Gait appears a little bit weakened and elastic; do not like feeling rushed but, at the same time, are not sluggish; may seem a little bit haughty.

[ISTp-L] Outwardly businesslike, a little severe, cold and unapproachable. A realist and skeptic, distrustful of novelty. Will always avoid useless matters, due to pragmatic nature. Very dynamic and technologically effective, Can extract the maximum of benefit even from tools. Their production is always foremost and will stand up to any competition on the market. Clothing is restrained, conservative, and they prefer a sporty, technological style.

The logical subtype prefers to maintain a distance. Are very independent and proud; act for their own convenience. In conversation may become ironic but can also become affable and interested if shown sympathy/respect from the interlocutor. When they become aware of having had offended someone they show regret, soften themselves and apologize calmly. Behind their external inaccessibility lies vulnerability; are impatient and mobile, love constant changes and new impression, are active, efficient and careful. Disdain discomfort in all situations and are therefore prone to correct/repair/adapt everything for the sake of convenience. Reliable and punctual, are exacting towards themselves and others; they behave with cold advantage but still may become emotional. Their behaviour is unpredictable and characterized by unexpected transitions from cold contemplation to active action. Gestures are impulsive, resolute. Gait: fast, measured.

wolfy

awsm
Okay, I'll look into it. Thanks. I'd choose the S variant in those two. I did read up on socionics a while ago and the istp description resonated. In MBTI, the best argument for me being istp over isfp was when I was told I was probably istp over isfp because of a tendency to get technical in training. I'd built a lot of technical know how in one field and tend to get technical in things I like. There is that, and then there is the people orientation, the entertainer inside of me. So those are the two things that clash when trying to decide I think.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
looks like this discussion is coming along well :) but it make more sense if we factored in Enneagram to this. Beatrix Kiddo to me seems almost certainly 8w7 which is going to make her motivations and actions quite different than more common ISFP 9s 6s and 4s. an 8w7 no matter what the MBTI type, will usually have the fiery guts and determination typically associated with ENTJ. also, even if the Bride was an assassin her whole life, it is likely she was unhealthy psychologically much of the time and was controlled and used by Bill, much like the way a pimp uses a hooker, this, combined with the need for strong rational abilities (in this instance, Te and Ni) would have led her to develope her 3rd and 4th functions rather unaturally.
PS: given this information, it's possible she was really a 2 and 8 was her point of stress, but I think this is less likely

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFP seems plausible to me on some function theory level, but that's about the end of it. When I was typed ISFP for awhile, I had to read that ISFPs are the type that are most inclined to get heart disease from the stress of not confronting situations enough in life. That they even have less assertiveness than INFPs (this is in Quenk's book btw). It sounds rough. It wasn't me at all. They seem a lot more gentle in retrospect. And I don't change my own type because I want to be more "butch" in some fantasy/wishful thinking way. I'm a sensor, after all.. so I will talk about reality. I'm not proud of it, but I've been thrown in jail for assault, I have fought people who had knives (admittedly, after running around for awhile), I never killed 88 guys and a schoolgirl with a samurai sword, but I have come out on top against 4 assholes. It's safer to say that people who generally would solve their problems this way, and seem ISP, are ISTPs. No matter how many friendlier qualities they have. I'd like to retype Fi for some of those reasons myself, but I give up. Could it be that ISTPs can be human beings too? :cool:

I don't know who Quenk is and thus can't fully appreciate your source on INFPs not being assertive, but I am an INFP and I have never met anyone more assertive than me. (I've met people more talkative, pushy, aggressive and argumentative, but not more assertive). INFPs are very picky about what is correct and will (usually in a friendly manner) communicate to people if something isn't up to their standards. It's not an "I have to get my way" type of thing, but I hate it when things could be done better and aren't simply because "they've always been that way" or someone is afraid to say something. I am constantly looking to make sure everyone's needs (mine first of course :newwink: ) are being met, and I will always speak up if their is a way for everyone to get what they want.
I would also disagree with your thinking that a tough ISP who solving problems in such a way would usually be an ISTP. when loved ones are murdered/harmed or certain values are violated, Fi is EXTREMELY vengful and may be the most merciless of all the functions when pushed into this sort of "judgement mode". when you combine this with assassin training skills, shadow functions Te and Ni, being Enneagram 8w7 and being a mother who's lost her child, her behavior (exaggerated by theatrics as it was) was completely understandable.

KDude

She isn't just concerned with protecting people. That's my point. Anyone can protect their families, unless they're a coward. My point is that she was who she was for a lot of other additional reasons (the movie doesn't get into it, but I doubt having a violent career outside the law had any benevolent motivation).

An 8w7 ISFP is pretty much impossible. It sounds nice, but it doesn't happen. I could try to even pay one, but they wouldn't be able to consistently be that. A counterphobic 9 or 6 going into some 8 mode, maybe.. but it'd probably be explosive, temporary, and far more irrational than how she acts.

Sunny Ghost

ISFP seems plausible to me on some function theory level, but that's about the end of it. When I was typed ISFP for awhile, I had to read that ISFPs are the type that are most inclined to get heart disease from the stress of not confronting situations enough in life. That they even have less assertiveness than INFPs (this is in Quenk's book btw). It sounds rough. It wasn't me at all. They seem a lot more gentle in retrospect. And I don't change my own type because I want to be more "butch" in some fantasy/wishful thinking way. I'm a sensor, after all.. so I will talk about reality. I'm not proud of it, but I've been thrown in jail for assault, I have fought people who had knives (admittedly, after running around for awhile), I never killed 88 guys and a schoolgirl with a samurai sword, but I have come out on top against 4 assholes. It's safer to say that people who generally would solve their problems this way, and seem ISP, are ISTPs. No matter how many friendlier qualities they have. I'd like to retype Fi for some of those reasons myself, but I give up. Could it be that ISTPs can be human beings too? :cool:

i don't agree with the bolded. i dated an INFP, plus knew a few others... i was much more assertive. perhaps it was upbringing... but depending upon the situation, i don't hold back. i refuse to be walked all over. this always bothered my INFP exboyfriend.

also, i can be quite vengeful and nasty if someone hurts me or a loved one enough. perhaps not in a calculated way. but i can be mean and nasty if it's called for.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Beatrix Kiddo is a straight-up ISTP and Quentin Tarantino is an ESTP. I think, though, that Uma Thurman might be an ISFP IRL, so perhaps it's her own personality that's making you (the OP) get ISFP vibes?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It's funny though how people can never really tell who the ISTP is. I could say though that beatrix is probably an ISTP that has gone mad, or an ENFJ gone mad. haha. I know terrantino is defiantly an ENTP though it seems so obvious if you watch his interviews he's always enthusiastic when explaining concepts.

KDude

It's funny though how people can never really tell who the ISTP is.

I would like to say the same thing about ISFP, but I didn't create MBTI.. so I gotta accept that there's some truth to the descriptions. It also helps that both INFPs and ISFPs who more sure of their type basically reflect those descriptions.

On a sidenote, I remember that one mma thread where I was trying argue that Gina Carano may have been ISFP.. and you were like, nah ISTP. I think we came to some compromise that she was ISXP.. But I'm starting think she is ISTP too (along with myself). She's lighthearted and all that, has spiritual beliefs, but at the same time, she loves the feeling of knocking people out. I'm not convinced anymore that I could get an ISFP to say something like that. Not casually at least, where they're laughing about it.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I would like to say the same thing about ISFP, but I didn't create MBTI.. so I gotta accept that there's some truth to the descriptions. It also helps that both INFPs and ISFPs who more sure of their type basically reflect those descriptions.

On a sidenote, I remember that one mma thread where I was trying argue that Gina Carano may have been ISFP.. and you were like, nah ISTP. I think we came to some compromise that she was ISXP.. But I'm starting think she is ISTP too (along with myself). She's lighthearted and all that, has spiritual beliefs, but at the same time, she loves the feeling of knocking people out. I'm not convinced anymore that I could get an ISFP to say something like that. Not casually at least, where they're laughing about it.

Gina Corano has gestures of someone who is more "T" when you look in the interview, but there are plenty of ISFP fighters in MMA as well it's just I don't get that "F" vibe of her when I'm watching her talk in interviews, she seems to feel socially awkward at times. I can relate because I hate when people talk about my personal life I just get on the defense most of the time. If you want to see what an ISFP fighter looks like, if i were to guess Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort. Vitor Belfort is a pure ISFP to me, he's really passionate and motivated emotionally, which is something I admire from ISFP's. Don't be so gullible ISFP they can be tough dudes. :) Mike Tyson is another badass ISFP, watch his film documentary he's a sensitive but very fierce person. On another note I remember reading those "L" and "S" descriptions before when I was looking into socionics, is that where you got them from?

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Gina Corano has gestures of someone who is more "T" when you look in the interview, but there are plenty of ISFP fighters in MMA as well it's just I don't get that "F" vibe of her when I'm watching her talk in interviews, she seems to feel socially awkward at times. I can relate because I hate when people talk about my personal life I just get on the defense most of the time. If you want to see what an ISFP fighter looks like, if i were to guess Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort. Vitor Belfort is a pure ISFP to me, he's really passionate and motivated emotionally, which is something I admire from ISFP's. Don't be so gullible ISFP they can be tough dudes. :) Mike Tyson is another badass ISFP, watch his film documentary he's a sensitive but very fierce person. On another note I remember reading those "L" and "S" descriptions before when I was looking into socionics, is that where you got them from?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It is still a cause, her cause. It doesn't have to mean anything to anyone but you. But it needs to mean a lot to you. That is the way I see it. It isn't hard to see violence and aggression as aspects that push people to type t over f. Why is Spike Siegel t over f? People just run down a flow chart of stereotypes till they box you in. Like an egg rolling down a series of conveyor belts.

I think I am f over t because I do stand up for things. Things I believe in. And on the other hand I tend not to for things I don't feel anything for, no matter how logical it would seem to. Why would t be a more stubborn and pissy type of trait than f? That doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

The way I see it, it just comes down to whether you are someone who is more analytical, and base your decisions on logic vs someone who is more sensitive who bases their decisions on how they are feeling at the moment. The problem with "f's is that they tend to be more subjective when considering things while "T's" tend to be more objective.

KDude

I believe ISFP can be tough, but not in the same ways. Less inclined to objectify people, for one.. Something like that would trickle down to a lot of subtle behavior. Even the humor is different.

Gina's socially awkward, I agree. She's also one of the few celebrities that I can specifically find saying she likes to get downtime away from people, that it drains her, and that she doesn't live "outward". So definitely an introvert at least.

I don't think Tyson is SFP.. a bipolar STP imho. I mean, he literally is bi-polar, grew up abused, was wrongfully imprisoned, has had a daughter die in a tragic accident, and believes in Islam, which might have helped him develop values he didn't originally have. I think plenty of STPs can be sensitive. Depends on their life circumstances. If he remained calm and stoic after all of the shit he's been through, there'd be something even worse wrong with him.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I believe ISFP can be tough, but not in the same ways. Less inclined to objectify people, for one.. Something like that would trickle down to a lot of subtle behavior. Even the humor is different.

Gina's socially awkward, I agree. She's also one of the few celebrities that I can specifically find saying she likes to get downtime away from people, that it drains her, and that she doesn't live "outward". So definitely an introvert at least.

I don't think Tyson is SFP.. a bipolar STP imho. I mean, he literally is bi-polar, grew up abused, was wrongfully imprisoned, has had a daughter die in a tragic accident, and believes in Islam, which might have helped him develop values he didn't originally have. I think plenty of STPs can be sensitive. Depends on their life circumstances. If he remained calm and stoic after all of the shit he's been through, there'd be something even worse wrong with him.

Tyson is a good example of an ISFP who had a hard life. I wasn't sure of his personality type until i watched his documentary. He looks like an ugly, cold person but actually he's a sensitive guy who appreciates aesthetics and beauty to a great extent. He said he was picked on as a kid and bullied by people. He seems to be the type who either can be a very soft or very hard person. I think he's an "F' because of how sensitive he is towards criticism as well. he feels constantly misunderstood by people, and is constantly being screwed over by his management his wife, his family etc. You should check out his documentary it came out two years ago, he's a total ISFP IMO.

KDude

I'll look it up. I don't think growing up hard means anything though. I would point out Dwayne Wade as an ISFP (maybe INFP) athlete who had an equally hard life, but talks about it in a Fi way, where he didn't give in to any harsher lifestyle in the ghetto. It wasn't because he had better parents than Tyson either. Wade's mom was a crack addict. Tyson had a mom who actually worried about him. Yet, even without a good family, Wade seemed to know what was right for himself. While Tyson created more utilitarian rules for his survival. Consider this too... he got arrested 38 times before he was even 13. And not all of it was fighting. He was mostly a thief. I used to steal things myself, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and judge him.. but that's just ridiculous. There's no Fi in that.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The thing is Tyson actually ends up getting teary eyed and begins crying during the documentary. I don't really see an ISTP getting as emotional as he is I mean I've seen ISFPS get really emotional from personal experience. I'm also not exactly sure what Fi has to do with being a moral person, considering morals are an abstract concept even for humans to understand my guess were that tyson's Fi was not even fully developed at 13.

KDude

Fi generally has much to do with some kind of moral system. Indirectly at least. Fi weighs positive and negative choices according to an inner standard or aesthetic. The same feeling that leads a stereotypical INFP poet to weigh their words, and a stereotypical ISFP artist to have a feel to blend the right notes or colors, are the same type of inner feelings at play in a social context too. It's as sophisticated as Ti principles, just on some other paradigm. Not just about emotions. And when I say moral, I mean that their feelings would more than likely remind them what kind of choice carries integrity for themselves and often, harmony with others. Many are type 9, so this is even more the case there. I don't think it's impossible for one to have some screwed up "value" that allows them to rob people and live out some lifestyle like Tyson had, but it's not conclusive enough for me just say "Oh yeah, that's so ISFP."

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I honestly think Tyson is a good person deep down, and just because he's committed immoral behavior in the past doesn't indicate whether he is ISFP. The way i see it, he's really a sensitive misunderstood human being, and not the animal the media plays him out to be.