User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default ISTP lifestyles.... do you combine quality and frugalness?

I'm not sure how to phrase this, but here goes...

The ISTPs I know seem to have a knack for having quality in their lives in the midst of a somewhat pared down, cost-saving lifestyle. For example, one of my friends makes miniature works of art using high quality hand-ground pigments and knows lots of interesting amazing people, yet I don't think he makes a lot of money, he lives in a one-bedroom apartment, and he uses a bike to get around the city instead of owning a car. Is this approach to life something that other ISTP's relate to? If so, what is the mindset that leads to this type of lifestyle? I'm genuinely curious because I think I'll be living a more frugal life in the future and would like to figure out how to do it in style!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm more on the side of frugality than quality since I'm a broke student but when I have more money I'll lean more towards quality things. I do spend a lot more on food than I need to, because I like delicious things. I tend to not buy things until I can afford a high quality one - where that matters. Especially furniture.

I'm not sure what kind of mindset leads to it; I've always been conscious of costs. I just know that money is a fixed resource and I want to get the highest possible value for my money (which includes not spending it immediately).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    when I have more money I'll lean more towards quality things. I do spend a lot more on food than I need to, because I like delicious things. I tend to not buy things until I can afford a high quality one - where that matters. Especially furniture.

I'm not sure what kind of mindset leads to it; I've always been conscious of costs. I just know that money is a fixed resource and I want to get the highest possible value for my money (which includes not spending it immediately).
    Same. I'll only buy something if it's of a high enough quality for me. I kind of hate cheap shit, so I'd sooner wait and save for the better stuff.

To answer the OP directly, I know a couple of ISTJs who do things exactly as you've described.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

IPs in general I think tend to be the most frugal of types. Their hobbies tend to be of most importance them, rather than their wealth, status or tidiness.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm more on the side of frugality than quality since I'm a broke student but when I have more money I'll lean more towards quality things. I do spend a lot more on food than I need to, because I like delicious things. I tend to not buy things until I can afford a high quality one - where that matters. Especially furniture.

How do you decide where quality matters? Is it just a matter of personal preference or perhaps there are certain things that everyone values quality in?

Here is an example of me trying to make a decision concerning cost- I was trying to decide which brand of blue corn chips to buy today- both had the same nutritional profile but one was a dollar more expensive. However, I've gotten the less expensive brand before and found that the bag rips easily because the material is so thin, so I decided that perhaps it's better to pay an extra dollar to get the brand that has a rip-free bag. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I frigging really don't know how to make decisions like this as I'm just not practical. It's hard to know what's important. It becomes even more relevant, of course, when you need to buy more expensive items like a car or an appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Same. I'll only buy something if it's of a high enough quality for me. I kind of hate cheap shit, so I'd sooner wait and save for the better stuff.

To answer the OP directly, I know a couple of ISTJs who do things exactly as you've described.
    I've noticed what seems to be a particular dislike of cheap stuff on the part of ISTPs. When I read someone's post online and they refer to something as "crap", my ISTP detector flag goes up! It's interesting that you know ISTJs who fit the description, too. I'm pretty sure my friend is an ISTP, though... he has that laid-back sexy vibe going on. Also, there was an ISTP who posted briefly at Typo C awhile ago who fit my description. He was into a simple lifestyle which included living in a 400 sq. ft. apartment and he didn't have a car. I think part of me is fascinated by that. Tiny houses are interesting, too. http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    IPs in general I think tend to be the most frugal of types. Their hobbies tend to be of most importance them, rather than their wealth, status or tidiness.
    I think this is a stretch. In the first place, what does the importance of hobbies over other things have to do with frugality? If someone valued "tidiness" over hobbies, how would that make them less frugal? One could be frugal or wasteful when managing any aspect of their life. In fact, you'd think that valuing hobbies more would lead to a less frugal existence, since the hobbyist would likely be less hesitant to drop extravagant amounts of money on their interests despite going over-budget or using credit. In the second place, I would guess (from both stereotypes and direct experience) that STJs are the most generally frugal.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

Well, I think there is a difference between pursuing one's passions in the more minor/artful ways of life and being another Richie-Rich businessman. The more artful way may not be frugal in respect to the hobbies, but it demands less spending in general if it doesn't generate as much income as the more ambitious route would. Ambition is often thought to accompany luxury.

MBTI
    XXFP

I try to balance cost vs quality.

I like quality stuff, but I tend to buy what I can used, or I repair stuff, or I build stuff to save $.

I rather have a few nice things than a lot of junk. I'm slowly getting rid of all my stuff and just keeping the stuff I need. With more money in my pocket I'm starting to replace old wear items with more quality ones.

So more in line with your question, what is the mindset here?

I guess my mindset is "how well will this serve it's purpose?" Keep in mind, disposable stuff has value, too. I can understand the value in something which will simply wear out quickly but that doesn't need to last a long time anyway. But I desire quality more than anything else.

So something I'm going to use a lot should be durable and depending on application modular to suit my changing needs. However, if I'm going to only need something once, then I don't care if it's junk so long as it does its job.

For instance, I buffed my car a while back. I had a choice between cheapo buffers up to $200 buffers.

So I considered: what is my purpose?

My purpose was to get something that would work as an experiment and probably be about twice a year max.

So I bought a $30 one. It's garbage. The motor was smoking while using it. But it buffed my car just fine. I'm sure it will blow in another 3 hours of use. That's two buffs for $30. Fine by me. If it's not totally dead, than it will see more occasional use.

If I had more money, I'd buy a better one based on principles such as less in landfill, easier to work with, not chinese (ie higher build quality), noise, etc.

In this case, I don't care. Things that get regular, consistent use, quality matters more (car, computer, selected clothing, footware, tools like wrenches that I will have forever, etc.)
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think this is a stretch. In the first place, what does the importance of hobbies over other things have to do with frugality? If someone valued "tidiness" over hobbies, how would that make them less frugal? One could be frugal or wasteful when managing any aspect of their life. In fact, you'd think that valuing hobbies more would lead to a less frugal existence, since the hobbyist would likely be less hesitant to drop extravagant amounts of money on their interests despite going over-budget or using credit. In the second place, I would guess (from both stereotypes and direct experience) that STJs are the most generally frugal.
    Well I was responding also to what the OP said about their friend being very messy, because part of what I am trying to say is many people are not frugal because they spend a lot of money on upkeep and progress. I suppose an IP may spend a lot of money on hobbies, but generally when you say frugal it implies frugal in a standard of living, rather than hobbies. In general, someone who lives in a small box with everything bought from a yard sale and possessing no luxuries but who spends all their money on flying lessons would probably be considered frugal.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    ISTP

Shop around, be cunning and learn how to repair stuff seems to work :-)