• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP lifestyles.... do you combine quality and frugalness?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes...I buy craftsmen tools because they are quality, but not expensive. If I need the higher quality I will spend the money. I bought me a $150 soldering iron because I got tired of the cheap $15 radio shack ones. I have my eye on a $600 smoker because its easy to use. Money has never been a big deal to me and I like quality, but how much I am willing to spend is dependent on how much I have. The more I make the more I am willing to spend on quality vs being frugal.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'm not sure how to phrase this, but here goes...

The ISTPs I know seem to have a knack for having quality in their lives in the midst of a somewhat pared down, cost-saving lifestyle. For example, one of my friends makes miniature works of art using high quality hand-ground pigments and knows lots of interesting amazing people, yet I don't think he makes a lot of money, he lives in a one-bedroom apartment, and he uses a bike to get around the city instead of owning a car. Is this approach to life something that other ISTP's relate to? If so, what is the mindset that leads to this type of lifestyle? I'm genuinely curious because I think I'll be living a more frugal life in the future and would like to figure out how to do it in style! :)

Im not an Istp but I enjoy the challenge of being frugal and not sacrificing quality. I have a knack for it

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
If I buy something I'm going to use a lot over time, I always save for a high quality product. Take a knife for example. I could buy one for $20 that isn't very sharp and will probably loose its blade quickly or I could get one that is $100 that is very sharp and will hold its blade. Of course I will buy the more expensive one. I could have five knives for the same price as one high quality knife but what is the point of owning five knives that make cutting a long annoying project? I'll save time with the high quality knife. It will allow me to to work better and will probably far outlast all five of the cheap knives.

Opinel:
OpinelKnife_open.jpg

Mora:
Frost%20Knife.jpg

~$15 each, respected for their blade quality, durability, and simplicity.

I get the point you're making, just stabbing holes in your argument for fun.

tayto

Not an S ;) But I really relate to the above. I get an adversarial thrill buying generics and off brand, escpecially for the things that I KNOW are exactly the same thing but in different packaging. I hate watching advertisement, I hate the idea even more of paying for it. Seriously, Quaker Oats or Storebrand, can there really be a difference in oats? Some generics are really inferior, though, like kitty litter. You'll suffer for cutting corners on that. Mostly, figuring this stuff out is trial and error.

I had a frugal moment this weekend. I decided for supper that I really wanted to make myself Udon noodles with tempura. I was without a strainer and also without something to sift the tempura flour with. I noticed no a Youtube video that a lady was using a large wire strainer for both the noodles and sifting. I made a $6 purchase and I had it all covered.

I wonder if the evil market researchers are aware of this trend. I hope they don't catch on. I hope they all fuck off and die.

tayto

I saved money on an electric whisk. I attached a twisty straw to the end of my electric drill.