• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP lifestyles.... do you combine quality and frugalness?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
What do I look like, a mind reader?:alttongue:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd describe myself as a minimalist. I wouldn't say I'm frugal. I spend money where I need to spend it. My road bike cost me a grand and I didn't bat an eye at spending that money. I spent $250 (on sale from $500) on a silk lined, black wool trench coat that I adore that will last a lifetime of winters. I don't regret that at all. I've paid $250 for my leather boots that I wear all the time. I beat those suckers up. I will pay for quality and craftsmanship. Items that I either use regularly or have a distinct purpose are worth investing in. The rest can be tweaked with. I won't pay more than $20 for sunglasses. (I break or lose them too easily) I don't buy real jewelry (who can tell?) and I won't buy name brand just because it's name brand.

The fact is, I just don't need that much to be happy. In fact, the less I have the happier I seem to be so I'll stick with that.

Bev

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I have actually managed to repair a few things over the years, I'm glad to say, but I'm sure my efforts in that department pale in comparison to what you ISTPs can do! I also once built a table to put between a counter and a dryer to make a space for my first painting easel. I used a rectangular piece of plywood and attached four approximately 1" square lengths of wood for the legs. Guess how I attached the legs? I hammered in a ton of nails from the top of the plywood directly into the stick of wood placed below each corner of the plywood. Each corner probably had 10-12 nails in it. It looked a little strange but the table held together. :laugh:
Well as long as it holds its all good!
And I usually spend more money when I know I'm getting a good deal.I bought a great long leather coat out of a charity shop for £23. Its in perfect condition and will last for ages!

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd describe myself as a minimalist. I wouldn't say I'm frugal. I spend money where I need to spend it. My road bike cost me a grand and I didn't bat an eye at spending that money. I spent $250 (on sale from $500) on a silk lined, black wool trench coat that I adore that will last a lifetime of winters. I don't regret that at all. I've paid $250 for my leather boots that I wear all the time. I beat those suckers up. I will pay for quality and craftsmanship. Items that I either use regularly or have a distinct purpose are worth investing in. The rest can be tweaked with. I won't pay more than $20 for sunglasses. (I break or lose them too easily) I don't buy real jewelry (who can tell?) and I won't buy name brand just because it's name brand.

The fact is, I just don't need that much to be happy. In fact, the less I have the happier I seem to be so I'll stick with that.
That's really nice! I think INFJ's can be that way, too. I get happy over the simplest things sometimes, like discovering there's another Jolly Rancher left in a bag that appeared to be empty. :)

Well as long as it holds its all good!
And I usually spend more money when I know I'm getting a good deal.I bought a great long leather coat out of a charity shop for £23. Its in perfect condition and will last for ages!

Yay for improvised construction projects!

The coat sounds like a great find. :) That reminds me of something.... my dad wants to live to be 100 yrs. old, and he was recently trying to figure out how many pairs of shoes he would need to buy now to last him until then, haha. He's quite a character.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
uh, I have a "bang for the buck" mentality. Conjunct with a strong desire for conservation of energy/resources.

More stuff = more time applied to maintaining. So, I keep it simple...as humanly possible.

Think it has more to do with what I value in life? Stuff isn't important, although I enjoy my few toys of choice.

I'd rather spend money sharing life experiences with people I enjoy vs. accumulating stuff.

ZtX

MBTI Type
ISTP
I will pay for quality and craftsmanship.

This.
I will not pay for crap, and I'd rather not own something than own something of inferior quality, if I am to use it a lot. And quality isn't measured by looks. My pickup truck is 20 years old, rolled with black color and would probably survive Armageddon. The only improvement I could imagine would be to switch the engine for a diesel-powered one.
I'm all for not buying stuff that'll end up on the landfill when it breaks. Stuff should a) not break easily and b) be fixable when it does.

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
Most of the time I am value oriented, when it comes to most thing. Though when it comes to hobbies and interests, I may stretch a bit and lean towards quality more than value. I do this with hi-fi audio a lot. I don't mind splurging on high end products if I know I can appreciate the difference in quality and the enhanced experience from that quality.

But for most things, I find that going the value approach is most satisfying in terms of quality vs price. It's a balanced and well though out approach (since I do a lot of research before I buy most things).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Same. I'll only buy something if it's of a high enough quality for me. I kind of hate cheap shit, so I'd sooner wait and save for the better stuff.

To answer the OP directly, I know a couple of ISTJs who do things exactly as you've described.

I am like that...I'd rather spend the money once on an expensive joint that will last long, than have to buy multiples of a cheaper version for immediate satisfaction.

I don't think I'm frugal. I spend money on things that matter (to me). Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi

jixmixfix

Permabanned
hahah yeah I would say I save my money to buy bigger things than smaller things as well.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This.
I will not pay for crap, and I'd rather not own something than own something of inferior quality, if I am to use it a lot. And quality isn't measured by looks. My pickup truck is 20 years old, rolled with black color and would probably survive Armageddon. The only improvement I could imagine would be to switch the engine for a diesel-powered one.
I'm all for not buying stuff that'll end up on the landfill when it breaks. Stuff should a) not break easily and b) be fixable when it does.

See.... this is why everyone should have at least one ISTP in their life. What other type would own a truck that could survive Armageddon? ;)

Last edited:

turtile

MBTI Type
ISTP
If I buy something I'm going to use a lot over time, I always save for a high quality product. Take a knife for example. I could buy one for $20 that isn't very sharp and will probably loose its blade quickly or I could get one that is $100 that is very sharp and will hold its blade. Of course I will buy the more expensive one. I could have five knives for the same price as one high quality knife but what is the point of owning five knives that make cutting a long annoying project? I'll save time with the high quality knife. It will allow me to to work better and will probably far outlast all five of the cheap knives.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
One thing that I notice is that I don't like to follow trends, or the "best new thing". I would rather buy a car that is more efficient on gas than a huge pointless SUV. Damn I never really saw the point of owning an SUV to begin with.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Got Mud?

0.jpg

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One thing that I notice is that I don't like to follow trends, or the "best new thing". I would rather buy a car that is more efficient on gas than a huge pointless SUV. Damn I never really saw the point of owning an SUV to begin with.

I had to get one to be able to transport large paintings. Some paintings are as large as 5' x 3'! I really don't know how else I could transport something that large and keep it out of the elements in the process. The problem is, though, that I'm stuck driving a large vehicle that uses too much gas, when I'd much rather be zipping around in some manual-transmission sports car that gets better mileage! :)

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That sucks I would say to just buy a car with a huge trunk hahha.

Well, when I was looking at cars for my son, there was a Honda (Accord or Civic) that allowed you to open the back of the trunk up into the passenger area. Maybe something like that could work!

tooltime

MBTI Type
istp
"ISTP lifestyles.... do you combine quality and frugalness?"

Depends on what is needed and what is wanted.

As far as stuff you want........If you know how to repair things and shop around, you can get more of what you want vs. buying only the best brand new. I have a truck and a econo car, both purchased used but dependable models to begin with. Paid cash, and low insurance cost too on used cars. This is only a good option if you can make repairs yourself. Works for me. Saves a lot $.