• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Extensive ISFP Report

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFP
Personality
ISFPs are found in about 6 percent of the general population. The best name for this type is free spirit,
for they have an intense need for freedom. The simple rural life, life in the wilderness, the interaction,
however, is not as great as that of the type they most resemble the ESFP. So an ISFP may forgo all social
ties of any duration to preserve the freedom to wander. The Lyric, “I was born under a wandering
star…” might capture the s pirit of the ISFP in this respect. The flower children of the 1960’s may have
been largely ISFPs, though the ESFPs also seem attracted to communing with others.
ISFPs also resemble INFPs in needing to achieve intensity of feeling. The focus, however, wi th the ISFPS
is orgiastic, in the sense, demanding of life that it provide the excitement and pleasure of drinking deeply
at the Dionysian well. Not revelry (that is the forte of the ESFP) but experience is what attracts the ISFP
to these kinds of activities. Music, like wine, is incorporated and internalized, and the introverted nature
of the ISFP requires this internalization. There is a reason why the flower become the symbol for what
the flower children wanted: Flowers are warm, alive, sweet, colorful, rhythmic, natural, absolute, needing
no statement, no interpretation – a pure being-in-self.
ISFPs are not articulate. They communicate through action. They do not verbalize their meanings, but,
for example, offer a lovely flower and a smile. Their actions speak of the pastoral and the bucolic.
Career
They do not seek philosophy or science or literature. These are too distant from life for the ISFPs. They
seek, rather, the pounding surf, the river, the forest, the ship, the truck, the racing car , the horse, the
potter’s wheel, the hoist, the bulldozer – some kind of action where they can keep their finger on the
pulse of life.
Home
It is not that people are unimportant to the ISFP – indeed they are – but people are more the framework
for the activities of the ISFP, providing a shadowy background. Perhaps this type is the least understood
of all the types – and yet often the most envied. They are so fiercely independent and insistent that they
live in and for the moment, in action, fully savoring the urges they feel and discharge, that others often
find them difficult to comprehend or understand. Gaugin, perhaps, provides a prototype of the ISFP as
he walked away from his affluent position in society, off to Tahiti to an unknown future, and wi thout a
backward glance!
Midlife
At midlife ISFPs may be subject to strong temptation to follow Gaugin’s lead, to abandon their current
style of life, and sacrifice home, children, and mate for the lure of the unknown bucolic life. The cost of
following this impulse must, of course, be reckoned. If the ISFP has not found in work a source of
pleasure which continues past midlife, he or she may want to opt for an early retirement and enter into a
new career where their need to be close to nature can be satisfied.
Mates
Pursuit of two themes – closeness to nature and artistic activity – places the ISFP quite a distance from
the utilitarian outlook. Yet it is precisely that outlook that seems to attract the bucolic spirit. The
opposite on the N side is the ENTJ “fieldmarshal,” the most militant of all types in his desire to run
things. ISFP is most likely to become a pacifist or environmentalist, and yet also is likely to seek out the
person who is temperamentally suited to tactical leadership, military or otherwise. ISFP is likewise
attracted to the head of an establishment. It is rather doubtful, should an ISFP actually marry an ENFJ
or ESTJ, that there is any intent or desire to change the spouse into a pastoral. Of all types, ISFP is most
likely to “let be” whoever or whatever. It seems more likely that the latter provides a kind of anchorage
to enterprise and to civilization.
Courting
An SP is likely to be compliant and agreeable with whate ver is happening in the sexual sphere. They may
seem quite decisive in sexual choices, but this is apt to be the result of impulse rather than the carefully
thought through decisions that would characterize an NT. SPs can find themselves quickly involved with
another, only to find this liaison a burden; then, they might be puzzled as to how to go about getting
uninvolved. Confrontation is not likely to seem to be the way to solve this problem; rather, absence and
silence are more likely to be the solution of choice. Long drawn-out courtships are not apt to hold the
attention of SPs, oriented as they are by their need for freedom, which includes being able to express
emotions, as they occur. Expressions of deep emotional commitment directed toward an SP are apt to
cause the SP to become restive and to feel trapped. Under pressure, an SP is capable to tactlessness and
even brutality, but once the scene is over, may be quite oblivious to any scars marring the relationship. If
an SP does not meet another’s expectations, he or she is readily willing to “reform,” although it usually
turns out that the promised new behavior doesn’t last long. Generally, SPs tend to have uncritical, happy
dispositions. They live so thoroughly in the present that they are not always reliable in meeting the
obligations of daily life, but the intention to displease is seldom present. An SP may be as quick to anger
as to act, but the anger is likely to pass as quickly as it arises. They can accept positive or negative
comments about their behavior or character with perfect ease, not long bothered by it either. In and out
of the mating relationship, an SP may not bother to sort out priorities, responding to each successive
demand with equal energy. A small crisis may be given as much attention as a crisis of great magnitude;
a claim for attention from a stranger can be given as much attention as a claim from the intimate. This
can lead to some dissatisfaction on the part of a mate. At times the delightfully generous nature of the SP
(what is his is yours and what is yours is his to give away if the impulse strikes) troubles mates of
differing perspectives.
SPs love to receive and give gifts. Not only is the SP temperament likely to give the extravagant gift, but
the SP will especially appreciate having an audience to witness the effects of this exuberant generosity. A
mink coat could well appear under the Christmas tree even though there might be only minimum
necessities in the closet. SPs often express sexual attraction through bringing gifts to those they want to
please. The transaction involved is what is stimulating to the SP; the pleasure of playing Santa Claus in
and out of season is what delights him. The receiver’s reactions of pleasure and surprise and the
reactions of the other witnesses are what count for an SP.
Sex
Whether Extraverted or Introverted, Thinking or Feeling, male or female, an SP may present the image
of a bedroom virtuoso, a sexual superman or superwoman who voices an avid interest in
experimentation. The details of the experimentation, however, are usually left for others to provide. SPs
seem to enjoy talking about sex, may have an extensive repertoire of ribald sexual stories, and love to
hear details of sexual activities of all types. Modern novels, which focus on sex, tend to describe the SP
more than any other type. SPs are more responsive than others to tactile, auditory, and visual sexual
stimuli, which are concrete, real, and graphic. Symbolic stimuli (e.g., poetry) do not have the same power
to excite the SP they might other types.
The attitude that living is to be enjoyed applies to sex as well as work, play, or sleep. Variety in all things,
including sex, is likely to appeal to an SP. An SP can become sexually excited by expressions of conflict
as well as of lust and love, and perhaps will find quarreling, tears, and anger – whether these emanate
from themselves or their mates – sources of stimulation. Horror movies, disaster and war films, pictorial
presentations of the cruel, the terrifying, the graphically erotic may excite an SP. The slow-moving love
story is less likely to have appeal, eliciting impatience in the SP to get on with it. The larger-than-life love
goddess or sexual superhero performing on the screen can titillate an SP, who in the hedonic style is ever
seeking excitement and adventure. Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were clearly not SPs; in fact,
the two pairs of lovers and their styles of loving may appear to an SP to be rather pitiful.
Interpersonal
Although SPs give an impression of being extremely alert, their realism in accepting whatever exists at
the moment can lead them into being oblivious to differences between quality and quantity of
relationships. Whoever and whatever happens to be there is likely to be accepted, and in this process the
SP may not differentiate between a person, for example, who is capable of great loyalty and a person who
is only “passing through.” An SP also is, at times, not alert to potential dangers in relationships. This
can lead female SPs particularly into involvements, which might be unwise. SPs truly do often rush in
where angels fear to tread – sexually, socially, and, at times, economically. For an SP, living may be feast
or famine. They may be good providers today, but spendthrifts tomorrow. Money, like sex, is to be used
and enjoyed. SPs do not tend to attach much priority to saving for a rainy day, sexually or financially, as
might an SJ; rather, time, money, and energy might be used to explore the newest restaurant, the newest
fashion, the newest companion, and the newest car. Buying new gadgets or acquiring new acquaintances
to tinker with might well fascinate an SP for hours, until interest is turned elsewhere.
Social
SPs are usually energetic propagandists for their own personalities, and sexually they promote
themselves well, whether extraverts or introverts. They are very likely to obtain the mate of their choice
in a whirlwind courtship. If the SP’s mate does not project onto the SP unrealistic expectations, the
relationship can develop into an satisfactory, active way of life. If the SP is expected to be someone he or
she is not, disappointment may be in store for both. Given a reasonable degree of compatibility in sexual
rhythm, SPs are not apt to dissolve their relationships with selected mates. Unlike the NF, who is
haunted by his lifelong romantic quest for the perfect love, the SP is not inclined to fantasize that another
choice would have been all that much different.
Domestic
As a homemaker, the SP female tends to find outlets for her hunger for action through arts and crafts.
Her home tends to be filled with various projects in various stages of completion. Clutter is acceptable to
the SP. She may get heavily involved in gourmet cooking for a time, and then move on to an avid interest
in weaving or pottery. Color is likely to be abundant and strong. Plants are apt to be set about the
rooms in profusion. Drop-in guests are sure to be welcome almost any time and the SP female is not apt,
as would the SJ, to be put off-balance by a less-than-guest-ready home. She is more likely to share
cheerfully and freely whatever is there, pushing aside current projects to make seating or eating room.
The SP mother is likely to be very much in charge of her children. She is not subject to the notion that
she ought to be of service to her children; not does this mean she is subject to guilt, wondering whether
she is doing the “right thing” or whether she did the same things as other types. She does what seems
right at the moment and that is that. More often than not, she expects and gets obedience, although she
also allows her children a great deal of autonomy. She cannot be conned by her children and does not
allow them to rule her. It is, perhaps, easier for the SP mother to allow others to participate in the
raising of her children than it is for other temperaments. When her firstborn goes to kindergarten, for
example, the SP mother is apt to take it in her stride in a way other types may not.

Sunny Ghost

hmm... i feel that some of the stuff that was written in general for all SP's aren't adequate. i think ISFP's are a bit different in sphere's of love than written here. and same goes for the sphere of how quickly we may bounce from negative comments. Fi get's hurt pretty easily, and doesn't always heal very quickly. i've also felt as though i mirrored INFP's a bit more in the realm of love, and i thought this common of ISFP's.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
hmm... i feel that some of the stuff that was written in general for all SP's aren't adequate. i think ISFP's are a bit different in sphere's of love than written here. and same goes for the sphere of how quickly we may bounce from negative comments. Fi get's hurt pretty easily, and doesn't always heal very quickly. i've also felt as though i mirrored INFP's a bit more in the realm of love, and i thought this common of ISFP's.

Agreed....The romance stuff seems off....Especially

".....Horror movies, disaster and war films, pictorial presentations of the cruel, the terrifying ..... may excite an SP."

Not this one.

Sunny Ghost

^but that's just for the first half. where is the second half from? i agree with a lot of the stuff that relates directly to ISFP's. not so much with the SP stuff though.

KDude

The freedom loving, wandering aspect is sort of the nail in the coffin of me being an ISFP. I don't have an intense need to wander. I have a need for space, quiet, mental freedom, options, avenues of exploration... all of that good stuff. But to wander around? Very unappealing.. I like to know what I'm doing, what I'm getting into, who you are, who I AM even... haha. I'm not annoying or overt about it, but it's all there. I make a lot of quick forecasts of things, or test the logical veracity of them beforehand.. In a sense, I'm kind of negative, since I shoot down a great deal of things before directly experiencing all that they have to offer. And it's because of intuitive leanings, where I see how it seems like this or that, etc..

In one sense though, I envy people who can be that carefree. Seems like someone who truly lives like that would be very adept in the "real world". Where they'd pick up tons of friends, skills, see new places.. new countries even. That character from Forrest Gump comes to mind? Jenny. Except she was a flaky, heartbreaking bitch.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am not... um... err... ahh... inarticulate!!!
Horror movies... ick...
nope. not me at all.

KDude

I like stylized horror.. Or something goofy. Tim Burton or Bram Stoker's Dracula comes to mind (actually all oldschool horror classics.. Frankenstein, werewolf flicks, etc). Zombie movies to an extent. As with anything, it needs a good story first. Not into horror for it's own sake (None of gets me nervous or anything... It doesn't do anything good or bad).

Sunny Ghost

The freedom loving, wandering aspect is sort of the nail in the coffin of me being an ISFP. I don't have an intense need to wander. I have a need for space, quiet, mental freedom, options, avenues of exploration... all of that good stuff. But to wander around? Very unappealing.. I like to know what I'm doing, what I'm getting into, who you are, who I AM even... haha. I'm not annoying or overt about it, but it's all there. I make a lot of quick forecasts of things, or test the logical veracity of them beforehand.. In a sense, I'm kind of negative, since I shoot down a great deal of things before directly experiencing all that they have to offer. And it's because of intuitive leanings, where I see how it seems like this or that, etc..

In one sense though, I envy people who can be that carefree. Seems like someone who truly lives like that would be very adept in the "real world". Where they'd pick up tons of friends, skills, see new places.. new countries even. That character from Forrest Gump comes to mind? Jenny. Except she was a flaky, heartbreaking bitch.

Well, if I remember correctly, me and you are both 4w5's, right? I'm sure you could say that when you were younger you were much more carefree, and most likely to a dangerous and unappealing, pushing the boundaries point of carefree. I think me and you both learned the hard way, that being THAT carefree gets us in to trouble and no where that appealing in the long run. And so we've learned to turn our eagerness for wandering into a desire for calm, quiet, knowledge and understanding. However, I think this makes us unique for ISFP's. I've known other ISFP's that never reached a calm like I have. Or at least, have yet to... I still yearn to take off and wander, but I've learned to calm myself down, think things through and not jump on every impulse. A few years ago, however, that was difficult to do.

Also, I think when Fi is hurt and damaged, it's capable of turning it's hurt inwards or outwards. A good ISFP friend of mine is flaky, self absorbed and selfish. He rarely thinks about others, and is more concerned about protecting his own feelings and motives. It's hard to imagine an ISFP this way, but it's possible in unhealthy ISFP's.

I recall reading once, that ISFP's are naturally cynical as well. Which is funny, as we're also bubbly types. I suppose it's the derives from the ISFP's nature to look at things from all perspectives. We can see good and bad in the same thing, person, idea, whatever.