User Tag List

View Poll Results: ISTPs are...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome!

39 79.59%
  • ok I guess... whats so good about them?

10 20.41%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Hmmm...

• So worried about being precise, they can totally miss the mark. For example, my ISTP was measuring a kitchen drawer front to drill some handle holes. He was so focused on get the measurements correct to the 1/64th of an inch that he forgot to step back after all the measurements were taken to see if it "looked centered." If he had, he would have noticed that something was out of whack and he needed to recalculate.
    • Getting stuck in a rut (aka accepting things as they are so much that they overlook change... even if it's for the better.) ISTPs do what they do. And the do it very well. And that's pretty much all they do. For example, my ISTP has his routine and he sticks to it pretty religiously. It never occurs to him to look at his routine and see if he needs to shake things up a bit.
    • Living in the moment at the expense of developing any sort of long range plan.
    • Not taking into consideration how their actions / lack of actions affect others.
    • Over thinking things. Did I mention over thinking things. Oh yeah, don't forget over thinking things.
    • When it comes to emotions, my ISTP has a tendency to get into the DLLD (aka The Dreaded Logical Loop of Doom), a term we shamelessly co-opted from MDP2525 on this very forum. In other words, he tries to apply his Ti to "understanding" and "defining" his feelings and this overloads his processor (because you can't understand emotions using traditional ISTP Ti tactics) and thus he gets stuck in the DLLD zone. I think of a robot who is trying to process some sort of logical problem that doesn't have any solution so it gets stuck and can only repeat over and over, "Processing... processing..." It tends to completely blow out his operating systems... so to speak.
    Yes, all of these things are true for my ISTP female friend. Especially the one in bold.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This thread should merge with all the "why doesn't ISTP love me" threads. Plenty of resentment built up on those threads. *timer dings* What do you know - hate is ready.
    ahahahah + 1

Permabanned

Default ok

(yawn)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I guess it makes sense that there would be little hate for ISTPs outside of romantic relationships, since I was almost never involved in any sort of interpersonal scuffles or drama with my friends.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Most of my gripes only have to do with the fact that I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP.

What drives me nuts (personally):

-the SILENCE. I self-disclose only once in a while, and when I do, it's something that's really, really sensitive and well-thought and important to me. Having that met me few words is really tough.

-the fact that nothing holds his attention for longer than 2 minutes. Once he's conquered a project, there's no repeating it. Done and done.

-the extreme dislike of emotional displays or efforts to convince an ISTP of the merit of something they would rather not do can be perceived as an effort to control, which makes getting your own emotional needs met reallllllly tricky.

That said, ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Boring

Too dry

Lack imagination

Robotic

However, there was one ISTP that had a strong crush on me. I befriended him just because everyone else had a crush on him. He was alright.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Most of my gripes only have to do with the fact that I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP.
    You poor thing!

-the SILENCE. I self-disclose only once in a while, and when I do, it's something that's really, really sensitive and well-thought and important to me. Having that met me few words is really tough.
    I think I might have something to say about this, hope it helps. Don't expect an ISTP to instantly give you a well thought-out and enthusiastic response. It will take an ISTP time to figure out the best thing to say, and if they sense that what you said is 'well-thought and important', they might be hesitant to respond for fear of saying something silly or offensive (or they might not have any clue and think it's not important, I don't know your situation). ISTPs are also kinda understated when it comes to emotional things. I might make a comment like "You did well today, I'm proud of you," when somebody who usually has their heart on their sleeve would be all "You're AWESOME! I love you SO, SO MUCH!" Getting a reaction out of an ISTP is sometimes usually like squeezing blood from a stone, nor do they deal really well with 'excessive' displays of emotion.

That said, you shouldn't always be the one conforming to your partner's quirks/expectations. Both parties need to put in some effort, right?

-the fact that nothing holds his attention for longer than 2 minutes. Once he's conquered a project, there's no repeating it. Done and done.
    What can I say, we have a short attention span.
    Although I do tend to come back to things after a while, dunno about your ISTP.

-the extreme dislike of emotional displays or efforts to convince an ISTP of the merit of something they would rather not do can be perceived as an effort to control, which makes getting your own emotional needs met reallllllly tricky.
    Meeting your emotional needs? What's in it for the ISTP? You're so selfish and manipulative! :rolli:

That said, ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.
    Yeah, sure. Whatever.

Last edited by Trepidation; 09-11-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: syntax terrible and I need to really improve my grammar
    Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
    - Duke Leto Atreides

Johari/Nohari
    Because random people I meet on the internet are the best judges of my personality.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP.
    Wow! My ISTP's lifelong best friend is an INFJ. The two of them get along great. However, my gut tells me that romantically this would be a tough match. I think that the way the introversion would interact with this particular pairing would be quite the obstacle to overcome. From my ENFP perspective, I've gotta pull hen's teeth to get anything out of either of your types. So I can't imagine how an ISTP and INFJ would ever grow to the point that communication would come easily.

That being said, I never say never.

ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.
    This has very much been my experience. Take for example the difference in how INFJs versus ISTPs interact with me. I adore them both. But they are like apples and oranges. INFJs touch my soul, so to speak. They get me almost like no other type gets me (except INFPs). ISTPs on the other hand, ground me. They may not always get me, but they do ground me.

I think it's also interesting to note that people seem to adore ISTPs. All people. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about my ISTP. (And, I've known him for 20 years and dated him for 2.) And, on this forum ISTPs seem to be universally adored as well. Perhaps their calm, even-keeled way makes them less overtly offensive than other types.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ISTP

Those few words are very carefully chosen. Achieving the desired result with just the right amount of effort is something very beautiful.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by JFNI View Post
    Boring

Too dry

Lack imagination

Robotic

However, there was one ISTP that had a strong crush on me. I befriended him just because everyone else had a crush on him. He was alright.
    ISTP's are usually full of good cheer I don't think were are boring or too dry at all.