User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: watching people

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Question watching people

people watching has always been one of my favorite ways to kill time... I enjoy watching how the other people move, what they seem to be up to, how they interact with others and their environment and such... people are interesting and they are all rather different from one another

I've been told several times lately though (I've had more time to people watch lately!) that I have the tendancy to watch people in a disturbingly predatory manner... like a lion would watch gazelles from the tall grass... sitting rather still in an out of the way location (It's shadier there and the sun burns me! ) and just watching, not spacing off or anything

Worse yet, I watch people that I'm talking to in the same way... watching for body language, changes in inflection and such because that's where most of the communication occurrs. Most people don't realize this, but a few do... they tend to shift how they are standing and modify how they move once they catch on to the fact that they are being watched

I can't help it... it's how I naturally watch people! I was wondering... is this a type thing in a way? Just curious!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

one of my favourite activities. watching and observing behavior.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    people watching has always been one of my favorite ways to kill time...
    What are you, a senior citizen?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nope... a sociology degree holder with no outlet for my education
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

nope... a sociology degree holder with no outlet for my education
    I'm watching you, watching them, watching me, watching you...

Who watches the watchers?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

probably a security camera somewhere

I tend to look at those as well...

I like watching people too.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

figsfiggyfigs

lol, you're so cute!

I do that too, actually I love doing it, esp at airports. Something about the frantic commotion, and the expression of remorse, sadness, excitement, regret, and everything else between. You want the perfect place of true expression, watch people at the airport. Just don't get arrested for looking suspicious

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    lol, you're so cute!

I do that too, actually I love doing it, esp at airports. Something about the frantic commotion, and the expression of remorse, sadness, excitement, regret, and everything else between. You want the perfect place of true expression, watch people at the airport. Just don't get arrested for looking suspicious
    I'll be at the airport tomorrow! I'm doing it. And snapping pics. I particularly like what some people think up for hair styles. Normally, I like to watch from far away, because if I engage in communication I have trouble maintaining eye contact and thus, can't actually watch what they're doing.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I've been told several times lately though (I've had more time to people watch lately!) that I have the tendancy to watch people in a disturbingly predatory manner... like a lion would watch gazelles from the tall grass... sitting rather still in an out of the way location (It's shadier there and the sun burns me! ) and just watching, not spacing off or anything
    The intensity with which you watch is directly proportional to your desire to understand your subjects, and learn from them. This is not predatory, it is professional!

I can't help it... it's how I naturally watch people! I was wondering... is this a type thing in a way? Just curious!
    It's definitely an ESTP thing!

One time, my friend Jack (ESFP) and I were at the bar (outdoor) of a really nice hotel in Deerfield Beach, FL. We were buzzed to say the least.

Off to our right were these three guys. One of them was a really small guy, but he was so incredibly animated, he was hilarious, probably one of the most entertaining people I've ever watched from afar. The two dudes he was talking with tried to stop talking to him like three times, but they couldn't because he was so damn funny. Jack and I were cracking up to ourselves, watching from the other side of the pool deck. The only reason the two guys were able to escape was because a nice looking group of girls walked by and guess who started entertaining them? A classic, classic people watching moment. I'll never forget it. It was 100% positive. Everyone was smiling and laughing, you can't get better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    I'm watching you, watching them, watching me, watching you...
    Holy Jee-Willickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Who watches the watchers?
    The Uber-Watchers?!

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    Good tip! Especially about not getting arrested!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro