User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: "Nerdy" ISTPs

MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8

My sister could be a nerdy ISTP I think? Would you consider Paul Bunyan nerdy?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Well, I never... So you define "nerd" based on fallacy of argumentum ad populum? Democracy is not your friend, my dear.

I know I'm partly nerd but that does not qualify me for the grand honor of "Nerd" worthiness.

I consider "nerd"'s definition dependent on it being a subtrait of being "special". You look at a hundred samples of the world, you notice a slight variance. These digressions forms our several popular but subconsciously derived patterned simplifications of "freak", "nerd", "geek" etc.

When one is noticeably different, in an extreme form centered on one theme(intellect, novelty, obsession etc), one can be considered as fitting for such grand titles. Thus, via the fact that titles originate from intelligent evolutionary innate decision, "Nerd" must cooperatively be defined as so.

The definition of 'extreme', on the other hand, is based on the common denominator of all humans.
    You're overcomplicating it, true to INTP form. Remember when you were on the playground in 3rd grade and certain individuals were just "nerdy" because of the activities they engaged in? They collected worms, or they knew everything about Star Trek at the age of 8, or they sat off to the side talking to themselves while everyone else played sports, etc, etc, etc.

Fast forward to adulthood: those of us on this website are "nerds"! That simple.

*I'm not saying it's bad to be a nerd and I'm not saying the "nerd classification system" is a logical one, but let's be honest, it's pretty freakin' nerdy! Replace "nerdy" with "eccentric" if you want.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Titay?
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Titay?
    Huh?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Sometimes I think I'm a little nerdy. But then, when I meet peoples who are ture nerds, I realize that I'am very a little nerdy, lol.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I have always been a nerd in hiding.

An MIT nerd is different then a RPG nerd. One lives in sci-fi fantasy and one lives in reality fantasy. They do mix, but they are not the same type of nerdiness.
    Absolutely. The MIT nerd is the good kind of nerd.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by GetOffMyBiscuits View Post
    Well, he does hike his jeans up pretty high. And likes plaid, a lot of nerds wear plaid.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

I am a nerd like Quentin Tarantino is a nerd.. a pop culture junkie? And most of my technical know-how is with computers. I can help out in more hands-on things, but I wouldn't call myself a mechanic. I still think I'm probably Se because I share a lot of the action oriented nature and impulsiveness of SPs (among other things), but I could easily be happier talking to an INTP or INFP about a variety of things than some other SPs. In highschool, less so. I went through this phase where I actually did diss some of my nerdier friends, treated them like they barely existed, and played up this too-cool-for-school attitude in general. More than I care to talk about. Hell, I kind of lost dedication to living in my headspace at all.. I had started playing guitar at 13, but I barely gave a crap until later. So I wasn't even that nerdy in an ISP way. Once I wound down, I think I started exploring just a general I**P kind of way of life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

My little sister is an ISFP and might look like a nerd on the outside to strangers because she has a PhD in molecular biotechnology and works in the lab all day infecting cells of the trachea of chicken and turkey with different strands of influenza. She always was among the top of her class in math and helped her class mates with calculus. Her being among science geeks all day wears off and she could tell you a few jokes of the type " a chemist, a physicist and a mathematitian walk into a bar..." Her hobbies are a bit eccentric as well.

But ...and this is a big but... the reason she loves her lab work is because it is hands on research, she loves slicing and dicing cells, using the centrifuge and juggling petri dishes. The theory is just a way to get there. In fact, it worries her that she has become overqualified for practical lab work and might be forced to do more theoretical/paper work in the future And those eccentric hobbies might be eccentric, but they are physical and concrete in nature.

A talent for and/or interest in geeky stuff does not make a nerd in my opinion. Now, my ENTJ brother (marine biologist, major fantasy, role play, dungeons freak, martial arts lover and not a girlfriend in sight at age 25) that´s a geek. But even he is too practical and physical to be a nerd in my book.

Sorry, but the admission criteria of the club should be a bit stricter than that. :P
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    ISTP

I'd say I'm more of a practical nerd. Even though I studied engineering (although I'm taking a break at 4th year), I actually don't like to think analytically much...I'm more interested in the practical things. I build my own computers, and am a long-time member of a video card forum (my most visited forum).

Actually, to be honest, I see myself as a tech geek more than a nerd. Compared to truly analytical MIT nerds that live and breathe algorithms and equations, I am not one at all. Even studying engineering, I still can't relate. Maybe because I actually hate engineering and am studying it for the wrong reasons...