RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm both.

I'm a nerd in that I'm: A computer science major, I spend a lot of my time playing with computers/playing games, I'm pretty anti-social/socially anxious, and I don't actually hate math. I also have a habit of having random electrical projects/fixing electronics, like how I currently have a half-built solar panel on my desk and just replaced the LCD screen in my blackberry tonight. I also have no interest in any type of substance that affects my state of mind (Caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol included).

I'm not in that I'm: Someone who thinks jumping off cliffs on skis is a good idea, hikes to insanity, enjoys motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATV's, Jetskis, and anything else that has the potential for being interesting to ride/drive. (Like mountain bikes), am a good enough machinist that I can pretty much do anything in a metal shop.

Basically, it comes down to: I like pushing my body and abilities to see what is possible in whatever it is I want to do. Whether it's seeing if I actually CAN hike 14 miles with 9300ft of elevation change in a day, or if I can learn Russian quickly, I put a lot into what I do.

No one is really all that perfect nerd or "cool" guy, although in their public image, they sometimes might be.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Let's face it: In the grand scheme of things, if you polled 10,000 random people, being a "member of a psychology website which classes people based on 16 archetypes" is, well, pretty nerdy.
    You mean... I'm a... nerd?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    XXFP

The thing is, the same skill set that is used in nerd activity can be just as easily be used in cool or macho activities.

For instance, take the following step by step run through of solving a problem.:

- there's a problem!
    - observe
    - analyze (mull over observations)
    - form a conceptual understanding or refer back to prior knowledge

at this point you have a choice between:

- form plan of action, or just start tinkering
    - work through problem

and

- gain insight and understanding.

That same skill set could be applied to finding a way to cook dinner, figure out how to climb a rock wall, defending yourself in a fight, drift through a turn, build electronics, do chemistry problems, and figuring out how to beat an opponent in dungeons and dragons, or in a war.

Maybe this whole concept is too broad to really be useful. I mean, that's how everyone solves problems. Meh. I'm thinking out loud and not editing it.

I guess I'll add that the difference between "nerd" and "macho" activities is generally related to how much stress or anxiety the person doing the activity has to endure (or face off) to complete it, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

EDIT: And nerd activities are generally defined by the level of abstraction required to relate to it.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I'm both.

I'm a nerd in that I'm: A computer science major, I spend a lot of my time playing with computers/playing games, I'm pretty anti-social/socially anxious, and I don't actually hate math. I also have a habit of having random electrical projects/fixing electronics, like how I currently have a half-built solar panel on my desk and just replaced the LCD screen in my blackberry tonight. I also have no interest in any type of substance that affects my state of mind (Caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol included).

I'm not in that I'm: Someone who thinks jumping off cliffs on skis is a good idea, hikes to insanity, enjoys motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATV's, Jetskis, and anything else that has the potential for being interesting to ride/drive. (Like mountain bikes), am a good enough machinist that I can pretty much do anything in a metal shop.

Basically, it comes down to: I like pushing my body and abilities to see what is possible in whatever it is I want to do. Whether it's seeing if I actually CAN hike 14 miles with 9300ft of elevation change in a day, or if I can learn Russian quickly, I put a lot into what I do.

No one is really all that perfect nerd or "cool" guy, although in their public image, they sometimes might be.
    Makes it really hard to connect with "NERDS" on every level. Ever ask a nerd if he wants to help you swap out a turbocharger. Or replace shingles on a 2 story house in the dark with a thunder storm rolling in and look forward to it. Lay in the mud on the side of a road changing an oil filter the dealership put on wrong for someone else and enjoy it just because you get to lay on the side of the road changing something in the mud while cars fly past you.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    You mean... I'm a... nerd?
    Yep. And a cute one too.
    Oh, its
    You

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yep my dad is one of them. His favorite pastime is trolling computer hardware/software forums.
    Likes Zeno liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Let's face it: In the grand scheme of things, if you polled 10,000 random people, being a "member of a psychology website which classes people based on 16 archetypes" is, well, pretty nerdy.
    Well, I never... So you define "nerd" based on fallacy of argumentum ad populum? Democracy is not your friend, my dear.

I know I'm partly nerd but that does not qualify me for the grand honor of "Nerd" worthiness.

I consider "nerd"'s definition dependent on it being a subtrait of being "special". You look at a hundred samples of the world, you notice a slight variance. These digressions forms our several popular but subconsciously derived patterned simplifications of "freak", "nerd", "geek" etc.

When one is noticeably different, in an extreme form centered on one theme(intellect, novelty, obsession etc), one can be considered as fitting for such grand titles. Thus, via the fact that titles originate from intelligent evolutionary innate decision, "Nerd" must cooperatively be defined as so.

The definition of 'extreme', on the other hand, is based on the common denominator of all humans.

MBTI
    INTP

My husband is a truly nerdy ISTP (I initially judged him INTP - like me - but when I thought of how it annoys me that he always refers to article numbers instead of product names/descriptions I finally realized what was "wrong" with him...!). His favorite hobby is to work - with computers, both software and hardware (me, I hate the hardware stuff...).

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

My ISTP buddy is a HUGE gamer. When he and the xSTP were at work all they'd talk about was WoW. xSTP eventually quit, though. I did, too. Real life beats games every day, in my opinion. You can get a 1,000,000 gold but that does nothing for you in real life unless you're a cheater.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]