User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INTP/ISFP

ReflecTcelfeR

This thread gives me hope. I appreciate its creation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm not an INTP, but I sure love ISFPs!!

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    i think we feel insecure around thinker types more so than with feeler types. other feeler types would probably see a more serious side of us more often than thinker types. if you'd like to see us more serious and/or intellectual, you have to set the comfortable atmosphere around us first so that we feel less insecure about what we have to say.
    My ISFP (yes update he's an ISFP, not an INFP as I thought) is both serious and intellectual as much as he is silly and goofy. We have amazing, profound conversations...and then we tickle each other and giggle our asses off.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    i think we feel insecure around thinker types more so than with feeler types. other feeler types would probably see a more serious side of us more often than thinker types. if you'd like to see us more serious and/or intellectual, you have to set the comfortable atmosphere around us first so that we feel less insecure about what we have to say.
    Yeah, I think a lot of the times more serious intellectual types come across like they have a stick up their ass, not necessarily intp but the serious intellectual type . It doesn't make for a fun conversational platform.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My experience was similar to spamtar's. SF's are just so hard for me to understand sometimes; NT's just think so very differently than they do. We are very logical, SF's are not logical at all. I remember a few instances that really, really made me angry with her and that I did not understand at all where she was coming from, but she was sticking to her guns and going to challenge me on it - even though, to me, it made no sense whatsoever. I was thinking, "If you're going to challenge me this hard on something, at least be able to present a somewhat logical explanation as to why you feel so stongly about it. And she couldn't. But, she'd still be very angry. One time when she got a puppy, I really liked the puppy. I'd play with him, spend time with him, make sure he had new toys (buy him stuff, etc.) and she became very resentful towards me. OK, I get it, you want me to spend the time with you and show the affection to you. Well, one day we go to the park and this other lady had a dog. I walked the dog over to this lady and started asking questions about the breed of her dog, where she got the dog, etc. After I said goodbye to the lady, my ISFP was giving me a very hard time as to why I even approached this lady that I don't even know (the lady was like 20 years older than me, had nothing to do with the lady looking good). ISFP's don't get very rude - they stay polite, but they still have a way of saying it that you know they're not happy. She was red in the face and saying stuff like, "I thought you were a so-called introvert. Introverts don't approach people and start asking all kinds of questions about their dog. That's not very introvert-like." I said, "I was curious about the dog. I had questions. I was just saying hello and letting the dogs mingle. Uhh, and introverts can do whatever they want. They don't have duct tape over their mouths. They're allowed to talk." She said, "Would you like it if I just talked to random strangers and shared all my personal business with them?" I said, "I didn't share anything personal at all. That lady knows nothing about me - and yeah, I'd have no problem whatsoever if you approached a person with a dog. You should do it more often!" She was just livid. It was so completely out of left field it just baffled me.

And when you get into these spats (INTP/ISFP), it just goes completely haywire to the point to where you don't even understand the ISFP's argument because there is seemingly no logic to it whatsoever. And if there is logic to it, they don't voice it - or don't know how to voice it. So you're just left feeling like a complete jerk because you've angered them/hurt them, but they can't give you any real reasoning as to what you did wrong. I used to tell her, "Arguing with you is like arguing with a cat. It just doesn't work." It seriously feels like the 2 people are speaking completely different languages and the further the argument goes, the crazier it becomes and the further apart the 2 become in their arguments. I appreciated so much about her, I just couldn't imagine myself not being able to sit down (when necessary) and hash things/come to a mutual decision together in a reasonable way that makes some amount of sense.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of the times more serious intellectual types come across like they have a stick up their ass, not necessarily intp but the serious intellectual type . It doesn't make for a fun conversational platform.
    That's just it, from the INTP perspective. Everything for my ISFP had to be fun. Everything was a joke. I'm an NP, so I love to get silly and act a fool. But, sometimes in life (especially romantic partners) there has to be serious discussion about serious topics when serious decisions have to be made. That doesn't mean it needs to be super formal and "stick in the mud". We can sit on the porch in our underwear and talk for all I care, as long as we're able to talk through the issue and reach a good conclusion that works for both of us. I might say something like, "OK, so what are you going to do about "x" situation? It's long overdue and it needs our attention. How should we go about resolving it or taking care of it so that it doesn't grow into a bigger problem for us?" She might say, "Hopefully it doesn't grow as big as your upper lip!" And start laughing hysterically. OK, funny joke. I get it. Hahahaha. But, what about my question?

That was so frustrating.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Yeah, that does sound frustrating. I didn't mean that light all the time. Sometimes I am in the mood for that kind of conversation and sometimes I am not. I think it is better to just ask the question and let it sit with me. I will come back with an answer. But that might just be my style, I don't know.

MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Hummm...like my earlier post said I don't have the "can't be serious" issue with m ISFP SO. I also have a good ISFP friend and she and I also have very deep, serious conversations (pretty much every time we talk for any length of time). She is also very helpful in helping me make decisions (yes a P helping a J make decisions) and vice-versa. That being said, she told me that one of the things she values most about our friendship is that she CAN have conversations like that with me and that I respect her opinion. According to her it is difficult for her to do...she is very sensitive to criticism and feeling "dumb" or like her opinions are not respected. Going back to IndyAnnaJoan's post, I think it is very important for an ISFP to feel secure in order to share their opinions and views. I would think (based on my relationships with NT's...well T's in general) that sometimes the T pure logic could be perceived as criticism or condescending to an ISFP even if that is not the intent, causing the ISFP to withhold their opinions.

Maybe?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss

I've been around thinker types my whole life (both Ti and Te). My immediate family are all that way, quite a few friends.. hell even a lot places I've dropped by on the internet. I don't think twice about airing my opinions or whatnot or trying to converse with even hardcore INTP or INTJ-like programmers. I understand them to a point and know that I have been engaging to them with my own thoughts as well. I don't present or write the same way, but I have enough "serious opinions" to work with to be respected enough to communicate at least. I've got nothing to lose and nobody is a threat to me. I could be a T myself, but I've always been on the more sensitive side compared to my family.. both my brother and mother are very stoic types, my dad militaristic and structured. If I am a T, I don't come off as a stereotypical one. What I don't understand is why Fi would make such a drastic difference in assertiveness. Almost every MBTI type gets described with some of level of assertiveness, except ISFPs. It kind of bums me out. Even INFPs have their idealism to fuel them. While ISFPs are supposedly twiddling their thumbs, afraid and never serious about anything. :\

MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I've been around thinker types my whole life (both Ti and Te). My immediate family are all that way, quite a few friends.. hell even a lot places I've dropped by on the internet. I don't think twice about airing my opinions or whatnot or trying to converse with even hardcore INTP or INTJ-like programmers. I understand them to a point and know that I have been engaging to them with my own thoughts as well. I don't present or write the same way, but I have enough "serious opinions" to work with to be respected enough to communicate at least. I've got nothing to lose and nobody is a threat to me. I could be a T myself, but I've always been on the more sensitive side compared to my family.. both my brother and mother are very stoic types, my dad militaristic and structured. If I am a T, I don't come off as a stereotypical one. What I don't understand is why Fi would make such a drastic difference in assertiveness. Almost every MBTI type gets described with some of level of assertiveness, except ISFPs. It kind of bums me out. Even INFPs have their idealism to fuel them. While ISFPs are supposedly twiddling their thumbs, afraid and never serious about anything. :\
    Well if you are an F, you certainly seem to have a well developed thinking side. It's funny though, I do think that my SO and friend do sometimes have difficulty expressing their opinions, but I don't view them as doormats or anything. I view them as non-combative and sensitive, but they have they're thresholds and if you push either to their limit they will either erupt or simply walk away never to be seen again. They are both very independent as well and can become stubborn as goats when they feel overly controlled. Just my personal observations...