• I only have a slight inkling I might be ISFP

1 4.76%
First 678

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Can you describe how your F-preference affects you then?

I'm gonna figure this out!!!!

Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!" He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!" He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...

Speaking from when I was a teen, I can relate to the first part. What to do in those situations is hard. I don't know about the okay thing. I know I didn't push for change but I never had much trouble saying no. In fact, I think I took some delight in saying no sometimes. It was always just cruising or my way, I do it my way. And I would just block you from my mind if you got angry. Made me somewhat unteachable and gave me some weird ways of doing things. I also got down on myself for saying no so much, it was my first response.

I have a hard time explaining Fi. I know that I have wanted to keep everything congruent and all of what I do in line with some ethic that I have. That has changed over the years. I am in the middle of really trying to see how that works in action.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Nope.

The bolded part could be a steriotypical male response or an ISTP (for females and males) the fact that he is aware that a hug might be necessary, rather than in hindsight or someone explaining it to him, points to an awareness of people feelings in situations. My ISTP husband is balanced on the T/F functions. However, I don't see him being emotionally supportive either physically or verbally. More cut and dried to the facts of the situation. He usually does not articulate his thoughts so cut and dried because he is aware of hurting people. He tends to be dipolmatic in most situations.

I do like to help people by giving advice (rather than providing comfort ie hugs) but I'm not thinking that I am fixing the problem nor do I think that I have the solution. I just hope that I help them feel better or validate their feelings to that they can look at their problems a little clearer.

I avoid confrontations simply because I tend to take it too personally. Aways have as far as I can remember. I am getting better of distancing the situation from it being all about me-e-e! However, I don't know if this is an ISFP thing or not.
    4w5

Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!"
    Lets see... I am uncomfortable in emotional situations BUT my main reaction is that I want to make the other person feel better. As for what makes the person feel better, I just don't know, but the reaction is still there.

He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...
    I avoid it if I don't see the problem as "a big deal."

Some things that help are are they more personal/impersonal. A lot of times it is hard to see the personal side of isfp. It is more of a sensitivity than an outward behaviour. Also isfp are more behind the scenes, more informative. istp are more chart the course, directive. I can do both but will do behind the scenes first then switch to chart the course if I need to or want to.

I can't or don't want to do the other styles, get things going or in charge.

interactionstyles.
    A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type