• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs: Unsure of your type?

Unsure of your type?

• Total voters

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
On behalf of AyoitsStepho: Rent is now due. Pay up immediately.
Sincerely, the PayorDie Collection Agency.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On behalf of AyoitsStepho: Rent is now due. Pay up immediately.
Sincerely, the PayorDie Collection Agency.
Thank you ma'am! I was afraid I'd have to wake up early just to retrieve the rent, but you made it possible for me to sleep in! :D

Sure!

*Slaps Walking Tourist with the pimp hand before handing his dues to ayoitsStepho*

Thank you sir. Do come again.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm jumping in here (praying not to get slapped).

I'm trying to decide if my eldest son is ISFP or INFP.

Super laid back, fun to be with, makes little to no demands, cool in crisis (or in just about anything), charming slacker with an intensely sharp and quick wit (making humorous remarks is almost irresistible), hates conflict, rarely displays negative emotions or denies feeling them, denies having needs or wants, great mechanical skills, shows care by service, loves music and the outdoors/water, great athletic skills, content to be lazy, daydream, and generally waste time. Also is so detached from his feelings that he's not even sure what he wants or what his preferences are...otherwise I'd just have him take a test.

I can't decide and it's driving me nuts. I've had several ISFP votes. Agree or disagree?

Thanks everyone.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
You're welcome. It's my pleasure!!! (not to mention the glee of my evil twin, who is an ENTJ)...:D:devil:

Thank you ma'am! I was afraid I'd have to wake up early just to retrieve the rent, but you made it possible for me to sleep in! :D

Thank you sir. Do come again.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Super laid back, fun to be with, makes little to no demands, cool in crisis (or in just about anything), charming slacker with an intensely sharp and quick wit (making humorous remarks is almost irresistible), hates conflict, rarely displays negative emotions or denies feeling them, denies having needs or wants, great mechanical skills, shows care by service, loves music and the outdoors/water, great athletic skills, content to be lazy, daydream, and generally waste time. Also is so detached from his feelings that he's not even sure what he wants or what his preferences are...otherwise I'd just have him take a test.

I can't decide and it's driving me nuts. I've had several ISFP votes. Agree or disagree?

Thanks everyone.

My immediate thought is ISFP. That sounds pretty much like me. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh.. I actually live in San Antonio. I wouldn't mind El Paso though. As for functions, I think I've explored different sides of myself over the years. Yet, some of that stuff characterizes me more with some people. It's weird. I have a friend who chastises me, for example, like I'm "holding back". Not because he expects extroversion from everyone, but he thinks I'm something else. Others might see things too that I don't think I ultimately live up to either. What I mean is, there's probably more Se or Fe to me than I'd let off by saying I'm just INFP. Maybe that's normal.

Not to question your self-typing, but being you're a type 4 who once identified with ISFP....

I notice the majority of regular ISFP posters on this board identify as enneagram 9. Any thoughts on how a being a 4 would alter how an ISFP comes across?

I'd see an e4 ISFP & e4 INFP being difficult to tell apart, perhaps even moreso than an e9 ISFP and e9 INFP.

Considering some of the stereotypes associated with N & S (and Fi), 4s may seem "N" to people who don't know better. They're often described as idealistic, empathetic, imaginative to the point of being impractical & detached from "the moment", and often interested in abstract and intellectual things - which is how many would describe NFs.

Review some of the 4 descriptions below, and tell me whether it sounds more stereotypically ISFP or INFP:

FOURS said:
They also create their own "personal story" filled with myth and metaphor and live it out as though it were as real as reality itself. Indulging their imagination to live out their emotional states and allow themselves to feel intensely is necessary to feel true to themselves. Part of their disdain for the ordinary has to do with feeling a need to amplify and intensify their feelings as ordinary experiences rarely satisfy them. Hence fours often find practical matters difficult.

...fours can be very devoted and supportive. They can be deeply empathetic and very in tune with their partner's emotional states.

They indulge in amplifying their feelings at the expense of having a handle on the mundane aspects of real life. Their "difference from others" and self-absorbedness pushes them away from others enough to cultivate difference-based ideal self-images they can't achieve.

Once they accept the entirety of who they are they won't have to depend on amplifying their emotional states to live out an idealized persona they can never be. With a more authentic self-perception comes increased self-love without losing their insight and creativity and what makes them "them". They will be able to experience the joy of living in the present without being chained to the past.

When Fours withdraw, they immerse themselves in their own mental landscapes where they are free to cultivate and analyze their feelings. In the realm of fantasy, Fours are not constrained by the mundane considerations which are the plague of everyday life; the inner life can thus become more real than the outer.

...they tend to interpret reality at least as much in terms of its symbolic content and emotional resonance. John Keats, a Four, expressed this well when he stated: “I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart’s affections and the truth of the imagination.”

KDude

I really couldn't say why some ISFPs are 4's. For me, personally, it isn't Ni or Ne that makes me a 4 exactly. It's life events..all of the stuff that's pretty real. And I don't mean real as in Se.. just real. I hate disclosing all of it though. It's not everyone's business (I don't have anyone in mind when I say that. It's just that being that confessional in an open forum isn't my thing).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really couldn't say why some ISFPs are 4's. For me, personally, it isn't Ni or Ne that makes me a 4 exactly. It's life events..all of the stuff that's pretty real. And I don't mean real as in Se.. just real. I hate disclosing all of it though. It's not everyone's business (I don't have anyone in mind when I say that. It's just that being that confessional in an open forum isn't my thing).

Right....that's exactly the point. Enneagram is more about subconscious motivations rooted in early "woundings", not cognitive function, even though there are some observable correlations to MBTI. Which is why an ISFP may be a 4, but because of some stereotypes, they may test as or people may see them as an INFP.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I don't see myself as a e-type 4 at all. I'm either a 7 or a 9. (I'm the indecisive type because I can't seem to decide which one is right...)

KDude

It's OK. Sometimes I feel 4, 1, 6.. even 8 and 9 at times o_O

4 kind of covers most of it though (and can behave like those other types, from what I've read.. except 9).

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Thanks everyone.

First off, how old is he? I would say ISFP instead of INFP. Have you looked at ISTP?

wolfy

awsm

Thanks everyone.

I vote isfp again. Just to open it up for fun, could be istp too.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He is 17. ISTP has crossed my mind a few times. I didn't look at it closely because I was hung-up on the 'daredevil' stereotype. I need to examine it better.

I didn't know if ISFP were likely to conceal their emotions. He almost never shows any strong emotions or what many label 'negative' emotions. Outside of early childhood, I've only seen him cry twice and it was really brief. Perfect person in a crisis. When I was pregnant with #3, my water broke while we were grocery shopping. I told him what happened and he just took the grocery list (thank goodness we were almost done), and quickly helped me to finish the shopping without missing a beat.

Very comfortable in his body and he is a natural athlete. Loves watching wrestling and football. Great reflexes.

Very responsible but almost never takes initiative on anything.

He has no idea of what he'd like to do, so I don't have a career choice to give me a clue. He wants to do something "outdoors".

I appreciate the feedback. It's kind of funny--some types are harder to pin than others...I have already figured out two of his other siblings (I have another one with a big question mark over his head but it'll have to keep 'til he's older).