• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Do you ever just not want to think?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I get like that when life is as crazy as it is right now.

I don't wanna think about what I gotta do, I don't even feel like thinking about what's going on right now.

I just wanna chill.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I totally sympathize with that... sometimes there's nothing better than kicking back with a really stupid movie and some pizza and just zoning out and not stressing things :)

E

Epiphany

All the time! I figured this would be more of a problem for intuitives than sensors.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Thinking is the cause and solution to all of life's problems.

And so is beer.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Totally, whatever. I almost thought you might catch my repetitive blunder before I edited it, hah, which demonstrated just how much I'm not thinking.

All the time! I figured this would be more of a problem for intuitives than sensors.
Hah! :laugh: It's definitely not a problem, it's just something I don't want to do right now, so I just won't. Catch my drift?

In fact I'd say it's easier sometimes for me to not think about stressful situations.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get like that when life is as crazy as it is right now.

I don't wanna think about what I gotta do, I don't even feel like thinking about what's going on right now.

I just wanna chill.

You are not alone...

Many STPs I have interacted with have stated this to be an issue; especially ESTPs. Our brains "plot" or "scheme" or whatever you wnat to call it. We are hell bent and determined to make htings happen in our lives, preferably with as little effort as possible in order to result in maximum gains. So, our minds must run a myriad of background processes, and the net effect of it is that our brains never really "turn off." :shock:

I am not kidding you, this is such a problem for me, I have laid awake at night thinking, plotting, scheming, dreaming, conceptualizing, etc. since my early tennage years, and I am now 36. I didn't get an Rx for insomnia until my late twenties. The sad thing is, that I LIKE THE WAY MY BRAIN WORKS, but my body is a wreck if I allow it to run on its normal schedule, and do not force it to reconcile with my physical body, which also has very many demands of it each day. It is a very tricky balance for me to maintain, and for my STP kin as well, but I know of few that would change our wiring even if we did have the chance.

Please tell me, Sir, is the xNTP experience similar?
If so, how do y'all cope with it?
Are you OK with it?
Does it ever get in the way? :thinking:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Got to hate how your mind chatters while you want to sleep. Thereby making you unable to sleep because of it.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Many STPs I have interacted with have stated this to be an issue; especially ESTPs. Our brains "plot" or "scheme" or whatever you wnat to call it. We are hell bent and determined to make htings happen in our lives, preferably with as little effort as possible in order to result in maximum gains. So, our minds must run a myriad of background processes, and the net effect of it is that our brains never really "turn off." :shock:

I am not kidding you, this is such a problem for me, I have laid awake at night thinking, plotting, scheming, dreaming, conceptualizing, etc. since my early tennage years, and I am now 36. I didn't get an Rx for insomnia until my late twenties. The sad thing is, that I LIKE THE WAY MY BRAIN WORKS, but my body is a wreck if I allow it to run on its normal schedule, and do not force it to reconcile with my physical body, which also has very many demands of it each day. It is a very tricky balance for me to maintain, and for my STP kin as well, but I know of few that would change our wiring even if we did have the chance.
Oh yes. This, too.

I'm always over-analyzing EVERYTHING. It's like the whole childhood game of, say when you're playing hide-and-go-seek, "Will they run up and find me right when I pop out and blaze a trail toward home base? Or maybe they're on the other side of the house. Or maybe they're waiting for me around the corner! Do they think I'm just going to sit here forever, or that I'll make a dash for it? Maybe they figure I'll run, or maybe they'll know I'm thinking this and figure I'm too smart to just reveal my location and therefore are spending their energy elsewhere. Or maybe they know I'm thinking THAT and figure I'm smart enough to use the opportunity to just make a break for it and are waiting around the corner for me. Of course, who would waste all that time and energy when they could be looking for the others instead?" and on, and on, and on, and on, ad infinitum. :laugh:

That's literally how I thought as a child, and it has carried over into adulthood. Every interaction I have with others is judged through that constantly shifting paradigm, weighing scales, observing and (sometimes) over-analyzing every minute nonverbal cue of my "opponent." I've been known to think a little too hard about things in the past but subsequently pared it down and now I think I'm pretty good. It all has to make sense in context, of course.

Also, my mind is a multi-tasking beast. I don't know what it is, but it's like it HAS to be running several programs at once, which I flip back and forth between spontaneously as needs arise. My priorities are constantly shifting, and I'm constantly debating which move to make next. "Should I email this person now, or give myself some time to think and show them I'm just disinterested enough to not be sweating the small stuff?" "I need to stop by and get some stuff at my place, but should I go home first and THEN to my girlfriend's place who knows when since I'm so easily distracted, or just get her to swing me by real quick (with some bonus makeouts since her parents are at her place)!?"

Sometimes I get jammed, though, and my memory kinda goes kaput. Like today at work, one of the dispatchers was gone and all six lines were literally lit up like Christmas lights. At one point three of them still hadn't been answered. It was a mad rush, and at the end I was kinda dumbfounded, just like, "Wtf was I doing...? I remember this one thing but I feel like there was something else..." As it turns out, though, I didn't miss anything, hah.

I honestly have no problem falling asleep, though. I used to in my younger days, but these days I just get waaaay too sleepy. Like you've said before, Halla, we go full-force and sometimes we just collapse. For me that's every day. :rofl1: Sometimes working 50 hours a day and a couple of classes with loads of homework (one of them crammed into half a quarter because it's online)... good god, man. And every weekend has been pretty packed since I don't even remember when...

Please tell me, Sir, is the xNTP experience similar?
If so, how do y'all cope with it?
Are you OK with it?
Does it ever get in the way? :thinking:
Dude, life gets to you, too, hah.
They're INFP, but you're right, I hear NT's have a real time of it, too. As far as being analytical, that is. Emotions keep NF's up.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ALL. THE. *$&%^$. TIME.

At least I'm more conscious of the fact that I over-analyze than I used to be. But most of the time that doesn't stop me, hell no.

The last time I felt like I was overcome with pure sensation was a gig I went to a while ago. (they were such a cool young band who I'd already seen a few times...and a short time later they decided to break up. :( ) I had a couple of drinks on a largely empty stomach, which made me a little giddy. There were a lot of cute guys there, which also made me a little giddy ;) And finally, the music...I felt so high and thoughtless in the best possible way...it was beautiful. I crave more of those moments.

Not that I don't want to be deep, serious and emotional. I am INFJ, after all. ;) but sometimes I wish I could switch off both "think" AND "feel" at will for as long as I need to to recover.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting the impression, from the N and S responses on this thread, that the SPs have a somewhat easier time switching off "think", but wonder if it's an appropriate thing to do, or what leads up to them feeling that way, etc.

The NFs are more like "YESSSSSSSSSSS...I want to switch off 'think'...but I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah. It would be such bliss at times to be able to turn off my brain with a switch instead of going over what I still need to do, who said what to who and to resolve the mess it caused, why someone is likely to respond to me the way they did, or worse: what's the meaning of life, where do we come from, am I doing the right thing atm, should I be following a different journey, which decision is the best :banned:

Seriously, someone shoot me *has a migraine*

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Of course.

But that IS how I ended up a single dad at age 22. :blush:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Under stress I LOVE to think, that's when my problem solving comes out. But it's probably not thinking in the MBTI sense, more like just turning things over in my head untill a solution jumps out.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thank you for this testimony Halla. Because I relate on this and I was wondering if I was not INFJ. The over-thinking side is even more marked when I'am enforced to care about problems in the future or peoples, value judgmement. That enforce me to care about things I'm not naturally comfortable with (especially the "future'" part actually") and that make me mad because I just want to profit of thepresent moment and deal with what matters to me in the present moment (including relationships). I hate when I'am enforced to be project oriented. I'am really comfortable with short-term issues, but future planning make me mad. It's relyed with my enneatype, the 6. I'm constantly involved in self-doubt and compulsive "yes but", "what if" thinking. This is when I must deal with the future, but when I can be just focused on the present moment, it's liberating.

I just stop thinking,
and act
and
feel

free
Saut%20a%20l%27elastique.jpg

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I try not to think when I play music. Thinking makes my reactions slower, and just gets in the way most times. but I'm still thinking when I don't think...it's just a more instinctual form.