• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Do you ever just not want to think?

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My ISTP husband cannot turn his thinking off. He tends to worry and ponder the 'what ifs...'.

I on the other hand, know when it's time for sleep (and don't disturb me or else!). :)

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
ALL. THE. *$&%^$. TIME.

At least I'm more conscious of the fact that I over-analyze than I used to be. But most of the time that doesn't stop me, hell no.

Not that I don't want to be deep, serious and emotional. I am INFJ, after all. ;) but sometimes I wish I could switch off both "think" AND "feel" at will for as long as I need to to recover.

Exactly, I feel the same way.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Under stress I LOVE to think, that's when my problem solving comes out. But it's probably not thinking in the MBTI sense, more like just turning things over in my head untill a solution jumps out.

I was going to say something similar to this. It's not so much "thinking" but acting on honed instinct. It's freeing to be in stressful situations and pulling the rabbit out of your hat without even knowing how you did it.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I was going to say something similar to this. It's not so much "thinking" but acting on honed instinct. It's freeing to be in stressful situations and pulling the rabbit out of your hat without even knowing how you did it.
What do you mean, "without even knowing how you did it"? I'm always fully cognizant of the steps I took to kick something's ass.

But if you mean the mystery of where the instinct to perform such an epic feat came from, I wholeheartedly agree. :D I like to keep that aura of mystery alive and well. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Wouldn't it be easier if you tried to manage life in such a way that you don't ever want not to think about its possible developments (i.e. in such a way that you don't have to worry excessively about them)? That's what I try to do, because I really dislike hindering my own thought-process because I don't some imagined scenarios.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Wouldn't it be easier if you tried to manage life in such a way that you don't ever want not to think about its possible developments (i.e. in such a way that you don't have to worry excessively about them)? That's what I try to do, because I really dislike hindering my own thought-process because I don't some imagined scenarios.
I'm too impatient to think about possible developments, and I don't really have the capacity for it. I'm too caught up with what's going on now for any of that to have room in my brain.

I'm aware of obligations, etc, things I said I'd do, but sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything about any of that cuz it gets a bit stressful, and I'm all about reducing my stress level. :newwink: :D

Cbelle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I believe that every type has felt this at some point. I know I have, often, and especially when I'm in pain.

G

Glycerine

hahaha, I have told several Thinkers that I didn't want to think... I just want to relax and talk without having to think deeply about everything I say. They were like "WTF, What? Do you EVER think....? :rofl1: Much of what I say on here is fluff and I could care less.

wolfy

awsm
I sometimes have a thing with thinking and being flooded with some emotion and thinking on that. I just let it flow through me and don't try to stop it, I don't always express it either.

I also can get caught looking at something from angles. My mind gets consumed looking for something. Looking at leverage and the way to do something.

Sometimes if I am angry at something somebody has said or done my mind moves back to deal with it and I can't break from it.

Sometimes my mind gets caught up in a project that I am enjoying and it pulls me in again and again.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I sometimes have a thing with thinking and being flooded with some emotion. I just let it flow through me and don't try to stop it, I don't always express it either. I just let it flow through me.

I also can get caught looking at something from angles. My mind gets consumed looking for something. Looking at leverage and the way to do something.

Sometimes if I am angry at something somebody has said or done my mind moves back to deal with it and I can't break from it.

Sometimes my mind gets caught up in a project that I am enjoying and it pulls me in again and again.
Interesting.

That last one is thoroughly SP, the first is NF, the next NT, then SJ. :thinking: I wonder what this can mean...

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i did a lot of drugs to not think.
then i did a lot of drugs to think.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
here is a test from the other day...

shrug.

You're reaching one step closer toward being a sex god. That's what my friends and I called people are perfect of balancing every aspects of their cognitive functions, and thus become XXXX. :D

KDude

I'd say I prefer it over.. getting involved with the outside (or whatnot). Even if it's negative, I like to work through it.

Funnily though, I go to sleep quickly at nights.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you guys ever feel guilty about NOT thinking?

I mean, if you're on a train or somewhere else sedentary, I can't just relax and daydream/listen to music. I've ALWAYS got to do something stimulating, like play chess or other games on my phone. Or read (and never junk like magazines/fiction...stuff like science or philosophy), write, etc.

Every time I try to relax, I end up doing math calculations in my head, or thinking up mechanical inventions, rotating/inverting 3D objects in my mind, etc. Kind of defeats the purpose!

If I don't, I feel like my mind is dying. :shock: But yet I suppose it's relaxing.

Do you SPs ever get that too? Or do you have the ability to just LET yourselves relax mentally?