• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] STP Survey -- Humor Me, Wouldja?!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, I consider myself a cross between ISTP and ISTJ, so here goes:

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)
I quite enjoy doing nothing. I'm a very laid-back person. Doing nothing is better than doing work.

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?
I hate most physical activity, but I always feel great afterwards.

3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?
I would probably be bored to death, but I really don't know what I'd do to change it.

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?
Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy when I'm under extreme stress. I have all these thoughts racing in my head and I get very angry.

5. What happens mentally when you're confronted with protracted monotony?
I get annoyed and restless.

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?
I'd probably have to say it translates slowly to physical stress. I am able to take stress up to a certain point, but then I get very irritable. I often go away to a place by myself and freak out, but if I'm forced to be around people, I will probably just be very hostile toward them.

7. Do you have 'internal dialogues'? What does the internal voice say to you?
All the time! Since I don't like sharing my feeling with others, I often have "conversations" as if I'm speaking to someone I know whenever I feel overwhelmed by my feelings.

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)
It depends on the situation, but I would probably get into a big yelling fight with them.

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?
I don't understand the question. =/

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?
I have never been in a relationship yet.

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?
I don't know.

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?
I don't mind doing what other people tell me.

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?
I get very angry.

14. How important is stability? Is there such a thing as "too much" stability?
I've never thought of that before. No, I don't think there's a such thing as "too much stability."

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?
I don't really have any strong bonds with anyone, but loyalty is very important to me.

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?
It depends on the situation. Most of the time, I try not to express anything I feel.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks again, everyone. I can never get too much data on the subject.

The main character is an ISTP with a very high N.

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
Male ISTJ
Female ESTJ
Male ESFP
Male ISFJ
Male xNTJ (hey, Met, you mind I'm profiling you for the part? lol)
Male ESTP

I believe I posted the questions in other forums too (I could use the same input from SFPs and STJs). I've started patterning some of you wily folks for certain characters.

As to the questions being too non-specific, how might I alter the questions? I'm a bit at an end as how to proceed, but I would very much like to accommodate.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
Male ISTJ
Female ESTJ
Male ESFP
Male ISFJ
Male ESTP

I believe I posted the questions in other forums too (I could use the same input from SFPs and STJs). I've started patterning some of you wily folks for certain characters.

As to the questions being too non-specific, how might I alter the questions? I'm a bit at an end as how to proceed, but I would very much like to accommodate.
I've been married to an ISTP for 26 years and I have a 19 y. o. ISTP son. I'd be glad to answer your questions if you still want any more input about ISTPs.

How old is your main character?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, Mom!! *waves* :)

Please do give your input! The character is roughly 20 years old.

phoenity

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
Male ISTJ
Female ESTJ
Male ESFP
Male ISFJ
Male ESTP

Maybe a hypothetical situation of the character from your story, as opposed to a broad question that, as you can see, elicited a wide range of responses. But I wouldn't want you to give your story away!

I just didn't understand where you were going with most of the questions, so I wasn't sure how to answer without seeing the bigger picture. I guess it's my P - I'd rather not make a decision with so few details.

It looks like you got plenty of responses already though.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd be more than happy to explain a little about him if it helps?

His name is Ray. He's the second of three boys, the eldest (an ISTJ) being away from home, and the youngest (an ISFx) being in Ray's care. The youngest brother stopped talking after their mother left and hasn't spoken since.

Both parents are gone - mother left, father travels for work and is a terrible drunk. It's 1954. Ray works as a mechanic in a very small town that's slowly collapsing and where nothing happens. He uses what money he can spare on his car - an old hopped-up Ford flathead. He has a big group of male friends that he grew up with. They drag race on the weekends.

He feels as if his mind is dying a slow death. The lack of stimulation, the death of the town, the going-nowhere feeling, the isolation and inability to grab the life he envisions.

Ray's incredibly smart, edgy, curious, angry and has a dark streak a mile wide. He creates his own trouble to stop the brain death.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'd be more than happy to explain a little about him if it helps?

His name is Ray. He's the second of three boys, the eldest (an ISTJ) being away from home, and the youngest (an ISFx) being in Ray's care. The youngest brother stopped talking after their mother left and hasn't spoken since.

Both parents are gone - mother left, father travels for work and is a terrible drunk. It's 1954. Ray works as a mechanic in a very small town that's slowly collapsing and where nothing happens. He uses what money he can spare on his car - an old hopped-up Ford flathead. He has a big group of male friends that he grew up with. They drag race on the weekends.

He feels as if his mind is dying a slow death. The lack of stimulation, the death of the town, the going-nowhere feeling, the isolation and inability to grab the life he envisions.

Ray's incredibly smart, edgy, curious, angry and has a dark streak a mile wide. He creates his own trouble to stop the brain death.
Perfect!!
You have captured the essence of ISTP!! :yes:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hi Pink! :hi:

This will be about my son unless I state otherwise.

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)
My son says "Skateboarding IS my life."

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?
Physical activity is his way of thinking thoughts and feeling feelings. His job is roofing. He loves it and enjoys the challenge of working in below freezing temperatures and running up a ladder - no-handed- with a 100-lb package of shingles on each shoulder. The other day he belittled someone else's job because in his mind "manual labor" is "real" work. When he's angry he skates or punches a punching bag. When he's emotionally distressed (when a girl breaks up with him) he goes silent and lays around for a day.

3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?
He and his friends drive 2 hours to go skateboarding in a big city... they're street skaters. He organizes his friends together to make videos which include fake guns, fake blood, swords, etc. He makes small bombs out of gunpowder and blows up small inanimate objects... those are all things he does for fun and excitement.

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?
I don't know... I think the reaction is more physical. He used to get stomach aches constantly in the 5th grade because his teacher was too hard.

Can't help here... sorry.

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?
I think it's slow. Physical outbursts of stupidity... like slamming things, kicking things, "accidentally" breaking things.

don't know

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)
Oh man! Here comes the LOGIC POLICE! When he gets fed up... he will confront us and tell us how irritating we are or that we're being illogical or hypocritical. He thinks drugs and alcohol are "stupid". btw: ISTPs hate conflict. They don't like being around disharmony and will leave the premises.

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?
They don't have a "second-best" problem the way we perfectionists do. They are always satisfied with their best attempt. (Lucky stiffs) I don't know that they chase self-actualization. That's more of an NF thing. I know that they enjoy life better when they turn whatever they are doing into some form of "fun". Even roofing in 5 degree weather is "fun" if you are doing it with friends who know how to joke around and cut-up.

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?
They're very loyal. They usually are the ones who get dumped. (My 2, I mean) Rejection can get them to leave. (btw: they're both gorgeous) One thing I noticed my son do that my husband also used to do is he gets "soft" with a girl. His voice softens; his mannerims soften. So when he answers the phone, I can tell if it's a girl or a guy on the other end, just by the way he says "hi"... or "hey" in this case.

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?
Halo 3 :smile:

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?
They're very accepting and non-controling. They like to be neat and tidy. They're not control freaks. Living on someone else's terms is hard for them and they're always looking for a way to be their own boss and live the lifestyle they want.

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?
Fairness is extremely important. What's done for one should be done for the other... regardless of extenuating circumstances.

Stability is unnecessary for happiness... though as humans go, everyone needs some stability. Yes, too much predictability and stability in life can be boring.

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?
I'd say one of their leading qualities is loyalty. It's all about keeping both sides of the ledger even. If they owe you, they remember it, and if you owe them, they remember it... forever! Payback is not beneath them. They almost can't help themselves. It's all about fairness.

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?
They hate illogical hypocrisy. For instance... he pointed out how a classmate says she cares about the environment yet drives an SUV to school every day less than a mile. In his mind, if she REALLY cared about the environment, she would stop driving the gas-guzzling SUV and walk to school.

One more thing I wanted to point out... both of my ISTP men are first and foremostly very charming. They have a way of making people smile or laugh. They set people at ease. They're excellent with little sarcastic one-liners... sometimes being inappropriate with them and accidentally offending people. They're effervescent when they're comfortable. Of course, they're shy and quiet at first.

btw: my son and his friends... none of them have girlfriends, most of the time

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
re: BTW: I hear you. When I was seeing my ISTP, he was possibly the most charming person ANYONE had ever met when he wanted to. Sometimes I could see it turn on and off. He had big wolfish eyes, and this tiny flicker would pass through them when the switch was flipped. It was important to him to be pleasing to those around me. Pleasing = funny, aware, good conversation, etc.

He wowed my best friend and her mom immediately, and then took down an older protective friend who had been eying him suspiciously. In a few moments she was telling me "Keep that one. I mean it." My jaw was hanging open.

Unlike your guys, he was a broken person and had a habit of using his charm against people. He didn't care to be around me when he was doing something rotten because I could see through him.

phoenity

re: BTW: I hear you. When I was seeing my ISTP, he was possibly the most charming person ANYONE had ever met when he wanted to. Sometimes I could see it turn on and off. He had big wolfish eyes, and this tiny flicker would pass through them when the switch was flipped. It was important to him to be pleasing to those around me. Pleasing = funny, aware, good conversation, etc.

He wowed my best friend and her mom immediately, and then took down an older protective friend who had been eying him suspiciously. In a few moments she was telling me "Keep that one. I mean it." My jaw was hanging open.

Unlike your guys, he was a broken person and had a habit of using his charm against people. He didn't care to be around me when he was doing something rotten because I could see through him.

What do you mean using it against people?

As in, he had a well-developed Fe, and knew how to use it skillfully to be manipulative and get what he wanted?

:whistling:

:doh:

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I tried answering this a few times, but got bored. :cheese:

Yes. I get bored easily. It took me a while to realise that, but it’s usually because I’m also good with coming up with things that entertain me. I don’t necessarily have to be doing much, so long as it’s entertaining to me.

I love being active. For me, it’s not something I do alone though. I’m involved in various sports and activities, all of which involve or allow for large amounts of interaction between people. I’m not that person you see jogging alone at 7 in the morning. Other people are my motivation, even if I enjoy the physical activity immensely. I love being active though. Makes me feel alive.

I need some variety. Without it I start to feel trapped, and when I feel trapped into doing or being something I don’t want, I feel physically ill. Then again, I don’t want endless choices, because then I’d never make any decisions, never get anywhere. But I need to mix things up a bit. So I can do routine, as long as there is room to play. But after extended periods of time I become moody and mildly depressed. I start snapping at people and become immature in relation to taking the blame, acting responsibly, etc.

See the last two sentences from above. I feel the need to escape. I like control where I’m concerned. Other people can do what they want, as long as I’m free to do the same. If I’m under a lot of stress, especially over time, I’m breaking free. If I’m in a dark enough state of mind, then others’ wellbeing may not concern me when I ‘break free’.

Similar to above. I take control and escape. Basically, I find something to do, and if there’s nothing to be found, I make something. I guess I’m pretty stable, but if I wasn’t being reckless and destructive is a path I’d probably take.

Generally slowly. I think a number of people think I have a really short temper, but that’s because before then I’ve done the whole ‘bottling up emotions’ thing and the ‘they didn’t mean to, they don’t realise’ thing and the ‘take a deep breath’ thing. So the seventh time the guy behind me on the bus kicks my seat he’ll receive a death glare or an ill-tempered complaint and probably think I’m a bitch because of it: he didn’t get a warning! Some people who know me well can pick up on the difference between expressionless-angry-looking and actual angry. Then again, a lot can’t.

I have internal monologues, and I’m the one who’s speaking. I reason out things in my head. I explore ideas. It can be standard or random.

If I’m walking down the street and make some quick judgement about someone because of their shoes or whatever, I’ll correct myself, reason things out and tell myself they probably have a perfectly valid reason for wearing such unbelievably hideous shoes. Basically, if my thoughts can be expressed in words, then that’s my internal voice. I can offer myself up conflicting ideas and potential reasons for things, but it’s still me, not someone else.

It depends entirely how and to the degree that their irresponsibility is affecting me, or others. This is one of those ‘too vague’ questions.

I can be a perfectionist, but if I’m really not making any progress I tend to just stop and be satisfied with what I’ve done. (Or I get bored with what I’m doing and find something else to do.) It’ll have to do, because it’s not getting any better. Some people tend to aim for, and only for, the best option. And if they don’t get there, then it really is catastrophic. I like to cover all my bases. If I do enough to prepare for any situation so that it doesn’t completely suck, then I can improvise when I find out what’s happening, and make the best of that, that I’m able. I rarely regret decisions, because I know that I’d do it the same way again, that it was the best option given all the information and how I felt at the time. So I rarely find myself in a position where I’m unsatisfied with everything.

I find that some people tend to linger on things more than I do. I’ve had times in my life, for months, where I was in a situation that sucked. I dealt with it by just getting on with it. It was what it was, I was in no position to change it. I accepted it, and kept going.

I haven’t really been in a relationship long enough for it to become a dead-end. But I’ve been put in similar situations with close friends. Usually I give people the benefit of the doubt, a few times more than they deserve, and then I just sort of... disappear. I avoid them. I’m not really into conflict for the sake of conflict. If someone else wants it, then bring it on. Otherwise I just try and avoid it, keep it polite, keep it impersonal. I leave when it’s beyond no longer fun. When I’m getting way less out of it than I’m putting in. When there’s no hope, in my eyes, for salvaging it.

What do you mean by ‘mental pursuits’ exactly? I like maths, mostly because I like solving the problems presented. Actually, yeah, problem solving. I like puzzles. It doesn’t even have to be a real problem. Figuring out the best or most efficient way to do something, and then doing it. This is another question I find too vague.

I can get a bit obsessive about being in control when it concerns me in a way that matters. People should be free to do as they wish (within reason). I get irritated when people but in on other people’s rights and whatnot, as well as when they try to control me. I want to be able to do as I wish, so long as I’m not impacting on anyone else’s ability to do the same. Would I rather die on my own terms? Depends on how dire the situation is. I have gone out of my way to prove a point to people who were being selfish, etc. But I’m not being absolute about it. It depends on how constricting someone else’s terms are.

I become angry. Physically, I don’t know. I do get the urge to physically wipe the smile off some people’s faces, so to speak, but I restrain that for obvious reasons. I guess that’s just a response to wanting to be able to fix things: to make them fair. The closest I’ve ever been to all out hate was when people were being unfair.

Stability is important – to a degree. If you don’t have enough, then you’re always struggling with things, and not able to enjoy life. If you have too much, I guess that’s when things become boring and start to stagnate. Anywhere in the middle is good.

Mentally? Stimulated, I guess. Pumped. Same goes for physically, I think. Loyalty is extremely important on a person to person level, and it’s kind of difficult for me to define clearly. It’s kind of a support thing. I help them out, am there for them, and want the same. It hurts when it’s disregarded, not reciprocated or taken for granted.

Injustice. Hypocrisy. People being unbelievably illogical. Selfishness. Stupidity. Double standards. People taking advantage of others. Self-absorbed people. People who can't even help themselves.

I usually seethe quietly because, mostly, speaking out doesn’t achieve anything. Often the people causing it don’t care or don’t realise, and certainly most don’t want to know.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
TY, again, everyone! :)

What do you mean using it against people?

As in, he had a well-developed Fe, and knew how to use it skillfully to be manipulative and get what he wanted?

Oh yes. He could be quite the snake. Sizing people up immediately then determining what he wanted to do with them. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes utterly rotten. He was a drug addict and seemed to be able to use that addictive/addicting aspect of himself to "handle" people. My ISTP bff instantly hated him in that "I know what you are and what you're doing" way.

phoenity

TY, again, everyone! :)

Oh yes. He could be quite the snake. Sizing people up immediately then determining what he wanted to do with them. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes utterly rotten. He was a drug addict and seemed to be able to use that addictive/addicting aspect of himself to "handle" people. My ISTP bff instantly hated him in that "I know what you are and what you're doing" way.

Oh please share. I want to hear your perception of utterly rotten.

I'm no angel myself. That's why the behavior sounded familiar. When I was much younger, much more selfish, and lacked morals and values...

Does that make me a bad person as well?

In my defense, I never hurt anyone - emotionally or physically. No one ever knew what I was up to. I figured it was only wrong if I got caught, otherwise I was innocent. I realized the error of my ways on my own, and decided that wasn't who I really was, and didn't want to be that anymore.

What kinds of drugs was he addicted to? Was it real addiction? Or just had no real desire to change?

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
You suckered me into it.

Most of the time it is important to have something engaging to do. It's hard to say what that engaging activity might be - I might make it up or just stumble upon it.

A strong one. Some days are more active than others. However, touching on why I said "most of the time" above, some days I might do only slightly more than nothing. These days keep you just as sane as the high action days.

There is always something to do. Everywhere. I lived in the city but also spent time in the country growing up.

Make something up to do. Fix something. Break something. Use something for an unintended purpose. Get better at using something for it's intended purpose. Make a game.

Routine won't kill you unless you "have" to follow it. Then the point of the routine becomes lost. I can do the "same thing" over and over, because every time I do it, it IS different, and I am a different person than I was when I did it the last time.

To get variety/avoid routine I might just follow a whim. Get an idea, just do it, no real planning. Go ____. Race. Fix. Learn.

I get angry. Irritable. Eventually, I'll internally tell myself to stop whining and find a way to make it interesting.

A good default activity is to ask "what have I not noticed yet." It's weird how effective this is - you just start noticing things you didn't before, all you have to do is prompt yourself to do so.

I might forget to tell myself to stop whining if provoked. That distracts me.

"I'm bored." > ---daydream--- > "I wish I wasn't here." > ---think about what got me here--- > "I'm bored" > ---daydream--- > ---notice that I'm daydreaming--- > ---come up with something to do

Don't know.

I might make a judgment or think something through with "my" voice.

Tell them they are deadbeats. Resent the fact that they are "in control" over me and they can't control themselves. Ignore it. Leave.

What?

I try to go for the option that will provide what I want. If I can't get it, I change what I want. If I find myself unhappy with that situation, I try again.

Don't know.

Existentialism is moderately interesting, although discussing it is incredibly boring.

Meditation is great, though I don't know if that fits into your idea of "advanced mental pursuit" or not. Does for me.

I like to be in control. Don't screw with my space. Last bit, don't know.

Very important.

Mentally, I make a judgment of why I think something is unjust and the attachments I have that are influencing my judgment.

I usually get angry. If I feel like I can "take the hit" better than somebody else, I might take their place or otherwise confront the asshole.

If you're too stable, you'll be like a tree that cracks and splinters in a hard wind. Bend.

Don't know. I'm moderately ashamed of this.

I'll get back to you on this, too many questions...sleep.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Hey, guys :)

Questions!

not my daily life persay, but I definitely like to have the option of activity

Err... :shock:

I would either find something to do, create something to do, or gtfo of dodge :yes:

First ignore, then seek to ease the stress, then seek to remove myself from stressor

See question 3

Does the WTF face and agitated tone of voice count? :huh: Reckless behavior comes standard. Outburst are few and far between but memorable

Yes. Think "WonderYears"

I care not. Unless it effects me directly

/ Self contained

Err. :party::newwink:

Define dead end relationship. I view all relationships a transient. Some last longer than others, but all good things much come to an end, no?

Practical shit. Yes. Too a degree. Why not.

Very. Manditory. Ideal. Pointless. Potato PotAto

Important enough. Depends. Depends.

Necessary evil. Yes.

Same as anyone else? Very. Hard to pin down in a concise fashion...

Hypocrisy among other things. Depends. Depends.

Ok. 16 questions is way more than enough. Thanks again, guys. :)

Only 'cause it was you Pinky...

Unique

In all serious though in "character mode" and "extremely exaggerated ESTPness" all you need is Bart Simpson

That kid is 110% E though lol

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...Routine won't kill you unless you "have" to follow it. Then the point of the routine becomes lost. I can do the "same thing" over and over, because every time I do it, it IS different, and I am a different person than I was when I did it the last time.

I really like this response. It speaks to the concept that we are constantly evolving, which I believe. Nice! :thumbup:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I really like this response. It speaks to the concept that we are constantly evolving, which I believe. Nice! :thumbup:

Thanks. If one thinks they are "doing the same thing" over again, then they aren't paying attention. Something is always different.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I got an ISTP to answer, and his permission to post.

Here he is:

Arg, ok I'll fill out the survey, it beats doing work.

> Questions!*
>
> 1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)
>
Yes, if I just sit around it feels like such a waste. Not every day is hyper productive, but I always try to get *something* done.

> 2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?
>
I'm not sure what this is asking. I do feel good mentally during and after physical activity.

> 3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?
>

What inactivity? There are things to do anywhere. I would work on my home, I would build things and fix things, tinker with cars, bicycle around, play with fire, blow stuff up, I really don't think I'd be bothered much. The only things that might bother me a bit are the smaller choice of friends for physical interaction and a limited selection of interesting places from which to buy parts and supplies for projects, then again I order most of that stuff over the internet now anyway. I'm not bothered by routine, I shake it up every once in a while but normally enjoy it.

> 4. What happens /mentally/ when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?
>

The gears start turning, I start thinking, mapping out solutions, either fixes for the stress, or a creative outlet to distract me from it. I work well under stress, it's a great motivator. Necessity is the mother of invention.

> 5. What happens /mentally/ when you're confronted with protracted monotony?
>

I spend the time thinking, imagining, planning, dreaming, there's always some project in the works. If a computer is nearby, the internet offers a virtually unlimited source of things to browse, if there's a book or magazine I can read that. If I'm stuck doing a boring activity, music helps immeasurably.

> 6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?
>

Very rarely. I get irritable from time to time, but I usually put the stress towards something productive, or withdraw somewhat into thought.

> 7. Do you have 'internal dialogues'? What does the internal voice say to you?
>

I talk to myself in my head, but I don't have a conversation with myself or some unidentified random voice. From time to time I'll mentally rehearse something I need to say to someone, or drill something into my head.

> 8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)
>

Hard to say, I've never been in that situation. Knowing myself, I would probably make a carefully placed snide remark or two, and if it continued I would just withdraw and avoid being around them. I've been around long enough to know I can't fix people, and I lack space in my life for those in the grip of substance dependency, even if they're family.

> 9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?

Virtually everyone has to be content with 2nd best, or 10th best, or 50,000th best. No matter how good one is at something, chances are someone else is better, it's a fact of life. Why dwell on it? I gain satisfaction in doing the best I can at whatever it is. Quite often it's better than most, and that's good enough, that's not to say I'm not always trying to be better though.

>
> 10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?
>

Until I either can't stand it anymore, or something comes along that is obviously much better suited, but even that is not always obvious. I don't particularly like change, I don't like the unfamiliar, I don't like the end. I'm prompted to stay in it out of habit and familiarity, and I am loath to throw something out when I am unsure if I will ever find anything better or even as good. A bird in the hand is worth two on the bush.

> 11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?
>

The mental pursuits I find most attractive are those that involve fixing and creating things, understanding how things work and go together, and understanding the physical world around me in general.

> 12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?
>

Control over myself and my environment is very important, control over others is not something I have much interest in. I would definitely rather die on my own terms than live on someone else's.

> 13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?
>

It's hard to put a quantitative value on this. It's important, but my physical reaction depends on my logical determination of the effectiveness of the physical actions available to me.

> 14. How important is stability? Is there such a thing as "too much" stability?
>

Very important, I don't feel I can have too much stability.

> 15. How do you feel -- first /mentally/, then /physically/ -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?
>

It's a pleasant feeling for sure, I like to explore their mind and understand everything I can about them. Physically I enjoy closeness with them. Loyalty is very important to me, I am loyal to others because I want them to be loyal to me.

> 16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?
>

Rudeness, blatant stupidity, disregard for how one's actions negatively affect the lives of others. Violent, dangerous people, senseless waste, self destruction, greed, irrational behavior, and cigarette butts. What I do to express it depends on the options I see available and what positive potential effect I see in them. I can't fix the whole world, sometimes the best I can do is avoid the parts of it that I don't enjoy and focus my energy on those that I do.

Last edited:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
And I never answered 16

What excites your contempt and how do you express it (something like that)?

Not a lot really. Contempt is seeing someone else as inferior based on some traits/actions. I try to avoid that sort of thing. Even if it's an action I wouldn't take, I try to see people on my level, and get angry at them in the same way I'd get angry at myself if I did the same.

----------------------------

Ha something boring's ISTP friend. Devil, thy name is Procrastination.

Arg, ok I'll fill out the survey, it beats doing work.

Sounds like you pressured him into it SB.