User Tag List

First 34567 Last

your resident asshole

Well, I consider myself a cross between ISTP and ISTJ, so here goes:

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)
    I quite enjoy doing nothing. I'm a very laid-back person. Doing nothing is better than doing work.

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?
    I hate most physical activity, but I always feel great afterwards.

3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?
    I would probably be bored to death, but I really don't know what I'd do to change it.

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy when I'm under extreme stress. I have all these thoughts racing in my head and I get very angry.

5. What happens mentally when you're confronted with protracted monotony?
    I get annoyed and restless.

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?
    I'd probably have to say it translates slowly to physical stress. I am able to take stress up to a certain point, but then I get very irritable. I often go away to a place by myself and freak out, but if I'm forced to be around people, I will probably just be very hostile toward them.

7. Do you have 'internal dialogues'? What does the internal voice say to you?
    All the time! Since I don't like sharing my feeling with others, I often have "conversations" as if I'm speaking to someone I know whenever I feel overwhelmed by my feelings.

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)
    It depends on the situation, but I would probably get into a big yelling fight with them.

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?
    I don't understand the question. =/

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?
    I have never been in a relationship yet.

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?
    I don't know.

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?
    I don't mind doing what other people tell me.

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?
    I get very angry.

14. How important is stability? Is there such a thing as "too much" stability?
    I've never thought of that before. No, I don't think there's a such thing as "too much stability."

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?
    I don't really have any strong bonds with anyone, but loyalty is very important to me.

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?
    It depends on the situation. Most of the time, I try not to express anything I feel.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Thanks again, everyone. I can never get too much data on the subject.

The main character is an ISTP with a very high N.

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
    Male ISTJ
    Female ESTJ
    Male ESFP
    Male ISFJ
    Male xNTJ (hey, Met, you mind I'm profiling you for the part? lol)
    Male ESTP

I believe I posted the questions in other forums too (I could use the same input from SFPs and STJs). I've started patterning some of you wily folks for certain characters.

As to the questions being too non-specific, how might I alter the questions? I'm a bit at an end as how to proceed, but I would very much like to accommodate.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
    Male ISTJ
    Female ESTJ
    Male ESFP
    Male ISFJ
    Male ESTP

I believe I posted the questions in other forums too (I could use the same input from SFPs and STJs). I've started patterning some of you wily folks for certain characters.

As to the questions being too non-specific, how might I alter the questions? I'm a bit at an end as how to proceed, but I would very much like to accommodate.
    I've been married to an ISTP for 26 years and I have a 19 y. o. ISTP son. I'd be glad to answer your questions if you still want any more input about ISTPs.

How old is your main character?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Hi, Mom!! *waves*

Please do give your input! The character is roughly 20 years old.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Secondary characters:

Female ISTJ
    Male ISTJ
    Female ESTJ
    Male ESFP
    Male ISFJ
    Male ESTP

Maybe a hypothetical situation of the character from your story, as opposed to a broad question that, as you can see, elicited a wide range of responses. But I wouldn't want you to give your story away!

I just didn't understand where you were going with most of the questions, so I wasn't sure how to answer without seeing the bigger picture. I guess it's my P - I'd rather not make a decision with so few details.

It looks like you got plenty of responses already though.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'd be more than happy to explain a little about him if it helps?

His name is Ray. He's the second of three boys, the eldest (an ISTJ) being away from home, and the youngest (an ISFx) being in Ray's care. The youngest brother stopped talking after their mother left and hasn't spoken since.

Both parents are gone - mother left, father travels for work and is a terrible drunk. It's 1954. Ray works as a mechanic in a very small town that's slowly collapsing and where nothing happens. He uses what money he can spare on his car - an old hopped-up Ford flathead. He has a big group of male friends that he grew up with. They drag race on the weekends.

He feels as if his mind is dying a slow death. The lack of stimulation, the death of the town, the going-nowhere feeling, the isolation and inability to grab the life he envisions.

Ray's incredibly smart, edgy, curious, angry and has a dark streak a mile wide. He creates his own trouble to stop the brain death.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd be more than happy to explain a little about him if it helps?

His name is Ray. He's the second of three boys, the eldest (an ISTJ) being away from home, and the youngest (an ISFx) being in Ray's care. The youngest brother stopped talking after their mother left and hasn't spoken since.

Both parents are gone - mother left, father travels for work and is a terrible drunk. It's 1954. Ray works as a mechanic in a very small town that's slowly collapsing and where nothing happens. He uses what money he can spare on his car - an old hopped-up Ford flathead. He has a big group of male friends that he grew up with. They drag race on the weekends.

He feels as if his mind is dying a slow death. The lack of stimulation, the death of the town, the going-nowhere feeling, the isolation and inability to grab the life he envisions.

Ray's incredibly smart, edgy, curious, angry and has a dark streak a mile wide. He creates his own trouble to stop the brain death.
    Perfect!!
    You have captured the essence of ISTP!!

MBTI
    INTJ

Hi Pink!

This will be about my son unless I state otherwise.

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)
    My son says "Skateboarding IS my life."

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?
    Physical activity is his way of thinking thoughts and feeling feelings. His job is roofing. He loves it and enjoys the challenge of working in below freezing temperatures and running up a ladder - no-handed- with a 100-lb package of shingles on each shoulder. The other day he belittled someone else's job because in his mind "manual labor" is "real" work. When he's angry he skates or punches a punching bag. When he's emotionally distressed (when a girl breaks up with him) he goes silent and lays around for a day.

3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?
    He and his friends drive 2 hours to go skateboarding in a big city... they're street skaters. He organizes his friends together to make videos which include fake guns, fake blood, swords, etc. He makes small bombs out of gunpowder and blows up small inanimate objects... those are all things he does for fun and excitement.

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?
    I don't know... I think the reaction is more physical. He used to get stomach aches constantly in the 5th grade because his teacher was too hard.

5. What happens mentally when you're confronted with protracted monotony?
    Can't help here... sorry.

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?
    I think it's slow. Physical outbursts of stupidity... like slamming things, kicking things, "accidentally" breaking things.

7. Do you have 'internal dialogues'? What does the internal voice say to you?
    don't know

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)
    Oh man! Here comes the LOGIC POLICE! When he gets fed up... he will confront us and tell us how irritating we are or that we're being illogical or hypocritical. He thinks drugs and alcohol are "stupid". btw: ISTPs hate conflict. They don't like being around disharmony and will leave the premises.

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?
    They don't have a "second-best" problem the way we perfectionists do. They are always satisfied with their best attempt. (Lucky stiffs) I don't know that they chase self-actualization. That's more of an NF thing. I know that they enjoy life better when they turn whatever they are doing into some form of "fun". Even roofing in 5 degree weather is "fun" if you are doing it with friends who know how to joke around and cut-up.

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?
    They're very loyal. They usually are the ones who get dumped. (My 2, I mean) Rejection can get them to leave. (btw: they're both gorgeous) One thing I noticed my son do that my husband also used to do is he gets "soft" with a girl. His voice softens; his mannerims soften. So when he answers the phone, I can tell if it's a girl or a guy on the other end, just by the way he says "hi"... or "hey" in this case.

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?
    Halo 3

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?
    They're very accepting and non-controling. They like to be neat and tidy. They're not control freaks. Living on someone else's terms is hard for them and they're always looking for a way to be their own boss and live the lifestyle they want.

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?
    Fairness is extremely important. What's done for one should be done for the other... regardless of extenuating circumstances.

14. How important is stability? Is there such a thing as "too much" stability?
    Stability is unnecessary for happiness... though as humans go, everyone needs some stability. Yes, too much predictability and stability in life can be boring.

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?
    I'd say one of their leading qualities is loyalty. It's all about keeping both sides of the ledger even. If they owe you, they remember it, and if you owe them, they remember it... forever! Payback is not beneath them. They almost can't help themselves. It's all about fairness.

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?
    They hate illogical hypocrisy. For instance... he pointed out how a classmate says she cares about the environment yet drives an SUV to school every day less than a mile. In his mind, if she REALLY cared about the environment, she would stop driving the gas-guzzling SUV and walk to school.

One more thing I wanted to point out... both of my ISTP men are first and foremostly very charming. They have a way of making people smile or laugh. They set people at ease. They're excellent with little sarcastic one-liners... sometimes being inappropriate with them and accidentally offending people. They're effervescent when they're comfortable. Of course, they're shy and quiet at first.

btw: my son and his friends... none of them have girlfriends, most of the time

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

re: BTW: I hear you. When I was seeing my ISTP, he was possibly the most charming person ANYONE had ever met when he wanted to. Sometimes I could see it turn on and off. He had big wolfish eyes, and this tiny flicker would pass through them when the switch was flipped. It was important to him to be pleasing to those around me. Pleasing = funny, aware, good conversation, etc.

He wowed my best friend and her mom immediately, and then took down an older protective friend who had been eying him suspiciously. In a few moments she was telling me "Keep that one. I mean it." My jaw was hanging open.

Unlike your guys, he was a broken person and had a habit of using his charm against people. He didn't care to be around me when he was doing something rotten because I could see through him.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

re: BTW: I hear you. When I was seeing my ISTP, he was possibly the most charming person ANYONE had ever met when he wanted to. Sometimes I could see it turn on and off. He had big wolfish eyes, and this tiny flicker would pass through them when the switch was flipped. It was important to him to be pleasing to those around me. Pleasing = funny, aware, good conversation, etc.

He wowed my best friend and her mom immediately, and then took down an older protective friend who had been eying him suspiciously. In a few moments she was telling me "Keep that one. I mean it." My jaw was hanging open.

Unlike your guys, he was a broken person and had a habit of using his charm against people. He didn't care to be around me when he was doing something rotten because I could see through him.
    What do you mean using it against people?

As in, he had a well-developed Fe, and knew how to use it skillfully to be manipulative and get what he wanted?