User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Hey, guys

If I haven't stated this before, I'm an artist/writer.

I'm presently embroiled in several projects, one of which is a book, and I need some assistance with a character who has an ISTP temperament. I've pretty much got the guy nailed down, but a few nagging intimacies remain.

I realize there was an "STP and stress" thread SOMEWHERE, but it wasn't specific enough for me, nor do I wish to go hunting for it (unless someone wants to toss the link at me.)

This is open to all STPs, those of you with STP kids, best friends, S.O.s. etc who do not object to having their brains picked. The bigger the cross-section, the better for me. I like to have a lot of data to work with.

Questions!

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?

3. If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? How important is variety? How important is it to avoid routine? What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?

5. What happens mentally when you're confronted with protracted monotony?

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?

7. Do you have 'internal dialogues'? What does the internal voice say to you?

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?

14. How important is stability? Is there such a thing as "too much" stability?

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?

Ok. 16 questions is way more than enough. Thanks again, guys.
    I started to answer these questions, but I don't really understand what you're getting at as some of these questions are waaaay too broad. If you want to go into further detail about specifics of what you'd like to know, then I can provide more thorough answers that might actually provide some useful insight rather than one liners like I started to do. Otherwise, I just see it as a waste of both of our time

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by white View Post
    I think. To get an STP to respond to 16 essay questions, you'd have to offer some inducements.

They'd not do this out of the goodness of their hearts.
    I'd say the photos of herself posted a few weeks ago are payment in full.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Now the info you requested of ESTP me...

Questions!
    ANSWERS!

1. Is activity/activation paramount to your daily life? (By "activity", I don't necessarily mean base-jumping, folks. I mean anything that engages you, brain and body, even on minor levels.)

Yes, without a doubt. I am the living embodiment of action. I am constantly doing several things all day long; I literally don't stop, but I like it like that, it's fun and easy for me. I like to productive and have a positive effect on my environment.

2. What connection do you feel between physical activity and your mental well-being?

The two are inextricably linked. If I am physicall dormant (for me that means no workout at the gym for 2 or more days) I begin to get as closed to "down" or "depressed" as is possibly for me. I guess I get bummed out, because I am bored and feel like I am wasting the life energy that is exuding from me that day, which I know I can never get back, once a moment passes it is gone forever, whether you are sitting on your ass or skydiving.

3. (a) If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? (b) How important is variety? (c) How important is it to avoid routine? (d) What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?

(a) I'd join the armed forces and leave, to live a life of action and adventure, as my Dad did to escape pverty in South Georgia in 1955.

(b) Variety is important but that is kind of a broad net to cast Variety of what? Waht I see and who I talk to everyday? If that's the case I'd get a job as a software sales rep or pharmaceutical sales rep.

(c) Routine is not necessarily bad if it serves a purpose. I compensate the routines that are forced on me (work, school, etc.) with activities that are personally meaningful to me (working out, hanging out with friends, etc.) so that with each day I am doing what I need to do while not sacrificing my personal wants and needs.

(d) Let's put it this way, that all depends on how much time and money I have on my hands. If I have 24 hours and a few hundred dollars to do whatever the hell I want, there is no telling what random idea I will come up with and leap forward into.

4. What happens mentally when you're placed under protracted or inescapable stress?

I excel; I rise to the occasion and am at my best. Times of crisis are relaxing to me. I operate through them with exacting precision to accomplish my desired outcome, I always have.

I get really pissed off and then do whatever I need to mentally survive, ignore what's going on, leave, whatever. I'll not be bored, I cannot tolerate it. Fun is a state of mind, I have it, and I will not be bored if I can help it.

6. Does mental stress translate quickly or slowly into physical signs? (This includes reckless behavior or outbursts...) What signs do you exhibit?

No, I manage it for long durations, eventually it manifests as some type of recklessness, yes, 8 cosmopolitans one night for no reason, impulsive electronics purchase, etc. I never feel physical signs of being stressed out. I have had things that made me worry, or just feel really bad and conflicted, but never neck/shoulder tension or stomach pain or anything like that from stress. When it does sneak up on me (like twice per year maybe) it usually sneaks up on me and whacks me upside the head, I screw a few things up that I normally wouldn't and then I man up and assume control of my life again.

Ha! I say what I think! Therefore my inner voice and outer voice are one!

8. How would you respond to your parent who was behaving irresponsibly? (Alcoholism, drugs, dead-beat behavior,etc.)

At this age? (35) I'd tell them I was concerned for their health, if they were hurtful toward me I'd tell them off.

9. If you were unable to actualize yourself, what steps would you take to gain satisfaction from your life? For example: Do you talk yourself into liking "second-best"? Do you go set a silo on fire? Do you start wearing eyeliner around your nostrils?

I stopped wearing eyeliner around my nostrils in 5th grade, right before I got a mohawk. Honestly, self actualization is VERY important to me. I feel that I have been given a great and wonderful life. My parents were awesome, I am young, I am healthy, I am smart, and I am of pure and good intent. Self actualization to me is composed of: (1) Simple daily acts of good towards my fellow humans and other living creatures, like the other day I was taking a walk and an old man outside couldn't start his chainsaw to trim his bushes, so I pulled it 18 times and got it going for him, and (2) Some legacy that I will eventually leave as I prepare to exit this phase of existence, which at this point is setting up a non-profit HMO that diverts its earnings into home and community based services to keep elderly people at home, instead of going into nursing homes.

10. How long do you stay in a dead-end relationship? What prompts you to stay in it? What finally prompts you to leave?

Wow. People are creatures of habit, I think we have all been guilty of staying longer than we should have in some relationship or another. The "BIG 5" for me in a relationship are as follows; From my girl I want the following: (1) I want to have fun, (2) I want to spend quality time together, (3) I want hot, passionate, spontaneous sex...often, (4) I want my girl to respect me, and (5) I want my home to be one of peace and harmony.

If I felt I were not loved for who I am, if I felt that my S.O. did not have the same values and desire to experience life as I do, as noted above, I would eventually leave. Before one leaves they typically distance themselves.

11. What sort of advanced mental pursuits do you find powerfully attractive or intriguing? Are you drawn to existentialism? Abstraction? Why?

I enjoy being artistic and creative. Everything I do I do with some type of artistic flair. For example, I finished my daughter's closets last year and used their favorite colors on the shelves to match their cloud covered painted rooms:

I am a musician and DJ, and have a small project studio in my home. Whenever possible I am composing or just rocking out. I also love to draw and paint.

12. How important is control? Self-control? Control over your person/environment? Control over your ultimate fate? Would you rather die on your terms than live on someone else's?

Control is an illusion, but I buy into it like anyone else. I learn enough about whatever I wish to have an effect on and all the possible outcomes of the situation so I can set things up in a way that the ball has the most probability of dropping the way I want it to. Self-control? Work in progress, commensurate with the emotional significance of what's happening. Playful goofing off, no problem, life is supposed to be fun, but no reckless treachery in my life. Control over my ultimate fate, very important, that's why I'm a bodybuilder who eats really well so I can stay healthy and strong as long as possible and live my life and help my loved one's through theirs.

13. How important is justice? What happens to you mentally when you see unjust things occurring? How do you physically react?

VERY. I do not like unfair situations and remove myself from their proximity if ever I encounter one. I have left jobs because of ethical disagreements with management. When I see injustice I speak out or act out against it, whatever is appropriate, I do not let bad shit happen around me. I have stepped in between people who were about to get physical because the situation was unwarranted and I will do it again if I encounter as such again. If I ever see anyone hit a woman or a child in front of me I will show them no mercy.

Stability is great, just be sure to pepper opportunity for spontaneous fun throughout it!

15. How do you feel -- first mentally, then physically -- when you make a strong bond with someone? How important is loyalty? What is your personal definition of loyalty and why would you give that loyalty to another person?

I feel outstanding, mentally and physically. I am happy, positive about my outlook on life and my surroundings. When I make a strong bond with someone these entheusiasms carry through into my friendships. Loyalty is very important to me; it is of the highest things I value. Loyalty is looking out for another's best interests because you love/respect them, informing them of possible dangers, and acting in their defense if needed.

16. What excites your contempt? When filled with irritation or contempt, how do you (or do you NOT) express it?

That's a hard question. If your a co-worker/acquaintance then throw some needless drama or treachery in my life and I'll brew up some contempt real quick. If you're my friend/loved one then violate my trust, or be mean or distant over a prolonged period of time, or oppress my freedom for no good reason, that will brew up contempt. But in general, I do get over things very quickly. I have a long fuse, when it blows look out, but shortly after I'm good to go.

I hope my info is helpful for your research. Good luck with your book! I hope to read it some day!

-Alex

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Good stuff.

ANSWERS!

I rarely do nothing but when I do it doesn't bother me

None I do physical activity for physical benefits

3. (a) If you were born into and stuck in a very small dead-end town/city, how would you handle the inactivity? (b) How important is variety? (c) How important is it to avoid routine? (d) What lengths would you go to get variety or avoid routine?

(a) Move asap

(b) Extremely

(c) A lot

(d) Do whatever it takes, you expect me to put up with a boring routine? hahahhahaha. Not going to happen.

Have you heard of fight or flee? I take action (fight) and if that doesn't work I leave, your loss.

Only stay in the situation as long as it takes then find a way out.

Quickly and usually involves working twice as fast to solve the problem

Freedom is all that matters

Direct action, steal the alc, drugs hide it and book them into rehab

I have no idea what you're talking about. This question has no point.

What FINALLY prompts me to leave? You sound already as if your implying it would take me a long time. If its not working I will end it.

Being able to acquire more freedom than your average joe

I control all aspects of my life that I can, obviously chance comes into play for example, If you decide if you walk through the unknown door... you don't decide what's inside but you DID decide to walk into it.

Depends on the situation

Depends what you mean by stability? are you talking about money? relationships? I'm not amused and don't get joy from the vagueness of these types of questions

I work with respect, if I have a high respect for you then you are a friend and have my trust. Loyalty by itself is meaningless if you are a bad person, I'm not going continue simply because you are loyal to me

Laugh at their foolishness

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Good stuff.
    Thank you, that's sweet.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Thank you, that's sweet.
    You're welcome. I try to learn about STPs.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You're welcome. I try to learn about STPs.
    I try to learn about other types too. The NF mindset is really hard for me to comprehend.

Do you know any STPs, or are we just an odd bunch who you are learning about?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I try to learn about other types too. The NF mindset is really hard for me to comprehend.

Do you know any STPs, or are we just an odd bunch who you are learning about?
    Yes, I do know other STPs and several SFPs. It's only recently that I had a lightbulb moment and realized how many SPs I have been close to in my life and how well we get along. But I think that may possibly be because everyone loves SPs! lol

PS - I too sometimes have trouble comprehending the NF/NT mindset but I'm getting better.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes, I do know other STPs and several SFPs. It's only recently that I had a lightbulb moment and realized how many SPs I have been close to in my life and how well we get along. But I think that may possibly be because everyone loves SPs! lol

PS - I too sometimes have trouble comprehending the NF/NT mindset but I'm getting better.
    Ha! That's cool to hear. From the handful I know, despite our differences, we are a fun loving lot of goof-balls.

The NF/NT mindset is indeed a difficult nut to crack. I am capable of thinking high-level/low-level OR top-down/bottom-up when it comes to analytics, but Jee-Whiz, the NFs/NTs come up with stuff that defies all typical problem solving and relates one thing to another, despite the two being from totally different universes, and adds a bit of emotional fuzzy logic to it all for a final twist of a mind-screwing...I get lost! CRAZY stuff!!!