• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTP Motto: "Who travels fast travel alone"
ISTP Motto: "Who travels alone travels fast"

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTP: "He who has everyone needs no one"
ISTP: "He who needs no one has everyone"

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I can tell you is that I have never met anyone who has a thirst to enjoy all things that life has to offer that is more ravenous than my own. :cheese:

I don't look at it in terms of having everyone or no one, or of traveling fast and thus traveling alone. I know what I want to do, and I do it. Those that are with me during life experiences have them in common with me. Those I hold dear are dear to me whether they wish to be around me all the time or not. I don't pose rules and limitations on others, and I don't like them posed upon me.

It seems to me that both ISTP and ESTP are thought of by others as "troublemaker" types. We like to know how things tick. That's because we like to make things happen the way we want them to happen. Maybe ESTP is a little more aggressive in how they set out to do these things?

Both ISTP and ESTP are very creative. Both are risk takers. Both are aloof. Both create opportuniites and follow them as the universe unfolds before them. It seems to me the major difference between ISTP and ESTP is in "How They Do What They Do." :newwink:

I love my xSTP peeps. This planet would be one big ass party if there were more of us, I guarantee it. :happy:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ESTP: Carries a big stick everywhere they go, wants to swing at everything. (Se dom)
ISTP: Whips out a big stick unexpectedly and efficiently and swing at one particular situation/person. (Ti dom)

(Not talking about fighting, or sex...general attitude)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTP: "He who has everyone needs no one"
ISTP: "He who needs no one has everyone"

ESTP: Carries a big stick everywhere they go, wants to swing at everything. (Se dom)
ISTP: Whips out a big stick unexpectedly and efficiently and swing at one particular situation/person. (Ti dom)

Yeh, true.:yes:

All I can tell you is that I have never met anyone who has a thirst to enjoy all things that life has to offer that is more ravenous than my own.

I don't look at it in terms of having everyone or no one, or of traveling fast and thus traveling alone. I know what I want to do, and I do it. Those that are with me during life experiences have them in common with me. Those I hold dear are dear to me whether they wish to be around me all the time or not. I don't pose rules and limitations on others, and I don't like them posed upon me.

It seems to me that both ISTP and ESTP are thought of by others as "troublemaker" types.

We are not too much troblemaker, it's other types who are too much clean.;)
We like to know how things tick. That's because we like to make things happen the way we want them to happen. Maybe ESTP is a little more aggressive in how they set out to do these things?

I don't know if ESTPs are relly more agressive. After all, if an ESTP meet someone who blocks their way, it's a game for him to negociate and manipulae him, while for the ISTP, it's a game to unsheathe his gun and hit him of his best shot, that is our way to negociate. STP cand be good at both games, but ISTP play more spontaneously the second.

Both ISTP and ESTP are very creative. Both are risk takers. Both are aloof. Both create opportuniites and follow them as the universe unfolds before them. It seems to me the major difference between ISTP and ESTP is in "How They Do What They Do."

Yes, it what we try to determinate. I think both STP types are freedom lovers, but ISTPs tend more to make sure that thay are free before acting and ESTP act first and thay realize that action makes them free.

I love my xSTP peeps. This planet would be one big ass party if there were more of us, I guarantee it.

Ooh yeeaaaaaaah!!!:party2:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No one at first glance would say ESTP and ISTP's are similar. Only through interaction do you realize we share common core traits but our concentration is on different arenas. I work with a female ESTP and we are very similar because we are "shoot from the hip" style communicators and we say what we mean. We both are efficient in meeting immediate needs and prioritizing potential issues.

Another thing I've noticed is ESTP's are big picture people. They just seem to concentrate on broader horizons. It's harder for me to immediately think like that. I'm more likely to get zoned in then expand from singular points to a broader perspective.

We both can read people and their motives very well. The difference is this. The ESTP knows how to put that information to practical use to implement their goals. ISTP's can do the same but it doesn't come naturally and it wears us out. Personally, I use that knowledge defensively. To protect myself and my friends from bad people. Doing anything with that information is not even on my radar unless a great opportunity presents itself.

Another thing is patience. ISTP's generally have much more patience than they do. I've noticed ESTP's are not so good with this. LOL. They want "now" 20 minutes ago. ISTP's are a bit more willing to wait things out. Is this because we are lazier? IDK...:laugh:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP's generally have much more patience than they do. ;)

Oh my God, this statement SOOOO busts me. :doh:

FACT:
I have ZERO patience. :dry:

We both can read people and their motives very well. The difference is this. The ESTP knows how to put that information to practical use to implement his goals. ISTP's can do the same but it doesn't come naturally. Personally, I use that knowledge defensively. To protect myself and my friends from bad people. Doing anything with that information is not even on my radar unless a great opportunity presents itself.

This is very interesting indeed, nice! :nice:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
MDP2525 makes a good point. ESTPs are more sporadic and impatient. I know a couple ESTPs who just wont STFU....this is because they are not as focused or concentrated as an ISTP. ISTPs tend to take the focus on details to another level. The main difference is that ESTPS can manage 10 things at once decently while an ISTP can do 1 thing at a time well. ISTPS have higher concentration and focus but decreased awareness of other external stimuli ESTPS have increased awareness of external stimuli, decreased concentration and focus. ESTPs also tend to just act before they think, ISTPs take the time to think before they act.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MDP2525 makes a good point. ESTPs are more sporadic and impatient. I know a couple ESTPs who just wont STFU....this is because they are not as focused or concentrated as an ISTP. ISTPs tend to take the focus on details to another level. The main difference is that ESTPS can manage 10 things at once decently while an ISTP can do 1 thing at a time well. ISTPS have higher concentration and focus but decreased awareness of other external stimuli ESTPS have increased awareness of external stimuli, decreased concentration and focus. ESTPs also tend to just act before they think, ISTPs take the time to think before they act.

:yes: It drives me nuts because it really screws up timing sometimes because of the delay between thinking and acting.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Us ISTPs often think too much, I think.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
:yes: It drives me nuts because it really screws up timing sometimes because of the delay between thinking and acting.

I have the same problem until I switch into crisis mode and I hit on timing really well.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

(Not talking about fighting, or sex...general attitude)

Hahahaha.... definitely. My ESTP friends want everyone to know right off the bat you can't "beat" them. It's almost like everything is a competition, I guess. Whereas I usually try to give only very subtle "don't tread on me" vibes, and only when I feel somewhat threatened. I only pull out the big guns when I feel I'm left with no other choice. And when that's the case, I try to make sure no one else is dragged into the situation.

And definitely agree with MDP that ISTPs have more patience :D

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hahahaha.... definitely. My ESTP friends want everyone to know right off the bat you can't "beat" them. It's almost like everything is a competition, I guess. Whereas I usually try to give only very subtle "don't tread on me" vibes, and only when I feel somewhat threatened. I only pull out the big guns when I feel I'm left with no other choice. And when that's the case, I try to make sure no one else is dragged into the situation.

i believe the best description for us is "silently kicking ass"

LEGERdeMAIN

i like to cause major cry cees when i can because then i can jump in and save days and be hero. i ge bored too. yeah.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
mgs-solid-snake.jpg