6w7 sx/sp

Default The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP

ESTP Motto: "Who travels fast travel alone"
    ISTP Motto: "Who travels alone travels fast"
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    STP

ESTP: "He who has everyone needs no one"
    ISTP: "He who needs no one has everyone"
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

All I can tell you is that I have never met anyone who has a thirst to enjoy all things that life has to offer that is more ravenous than my own.

I don't look at it in terms of having everyone or no one, or of traveling fast and thus traveling alone. I know what I want to do, and I do it. Those that are with me during life experiences have them in common with me. Those I hold dear are dear to me whether they wish to be around me all the time or not. I don't pose rules and limitations on others, and I don't like them posed upon me.

It seems to me that both ISTP and ESTP are thought of by others as "troublemaker" types. We like to know how things tick. That's because we like to make things happen the way we want them to happen. Maybe ESTP is a little more aggressive in how they set out to do these things?

Both ISTP and ESTP are very creative. Both are risk takers. Both are aloof. Both create opportuniites and follow them as the universe unfolds before them. It seems to me the major difference between ISTP and ESTP is in "How They Do What They Do."

I love my xSTP peeps. This planet would be one big ass party if there were more of us, I guarantee it.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

ESTP: Carries a big stick everywhere they go, wants to swing at everything. (Se dom)
    ISTP: Whips out a big stick unexpectedly and efficiently and swing at one particular situation/person. (Ti dom)

(Not talking about fighting, or sex...general attitude)

mmmm.....sex
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    ESTP: "He who has everyone needs no one"
    ISTP: "He who needs no one has everyone"
    ESTP: Carries a big stick everywhere they go, wants to swing at everything. (Se dom)
    ISTP: Whips out a big stick unexpectedly and efficiently and swing at one particular situation/person. (Ti dom)
    Yeh, true.

[quote]All I can tell you is that I have never met anyone who has a thirst to enjoy all things that life has to offer that is more ravenous than my own.

I don't look at it in terms of having everyone or no one, or of traveling fast and thus traveling alone. I know what I want to do, and I do it. Those that are with me during life experiences have them in common with me. Those I hold dear are dear to me whether they wish to be around me all the time or not. I don't pose rules and limitations on others, and I don't like them posed upon me.

It seems to me that both ISTP and ESTP are thought of by others as "troublemaker" types.
    We are not too much troblemaker, it's other types who are too much clean.
    We like to know how things tick. That's because we like to make things happen the way we want them to happen. Maybe ESTP is a little more aggressive in how they set out to do these things?
    I don't know if ESTPs are relly more agressive. After all, if an ESTP meet someone who blocks their way, it's a game for him to negociate and manipulae him, while for the ISTP, it's a game to unsheathe his gun and hit him of his best shot, that is our way to negociate. STP cand be good at both games, but ISTP play more spontaneously the second.

Both ISTP and ESTP are very creative. Both are risk takers. Both are aloof. Both create opportuniites and follow them as the universe unfolds before them. It seems to me the major difference between ISTP and ESTP is in "How They Do What They Do."
    Yes, it what we try to determinate. I think both STP types are freedom lovers, but ISTPs tend more to make sure that thay are free before acting and ESTP act first and thay realize that action makes them free.

I love my xSTP peeps. This planet would be one big ass party if there were more of us, I guarantee it.
    Ooh yeeaaaaaaah!!!
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

No one at first glance would say ESTP and ISTP's are similar. Only through interaction do you realize we share common core traits but our concentration is on different arenas. I work with a female ESTP and we are very similar because we are "shoot from the hip" style communicators and we say what we mean. We both are efficient in meeting immediate needs and prioritizing potential issues.

Another thing I've noticed is ESTP's are big picture people. They just seem to concentrate on broader horizons. It's harder for me to immediately think like that. I'm more likely to get zoned in then expand from singular points to a broader perspective.

We both can read people and their motives very well. The difference is this. The ESTP knows how to put that information to practical use to implement their goals. ISTP's can do the same but it doesn't come naturally and it wears us out. Personally, I use that knowledge defensively. To protect myself and my friends from bad people. Doing anything with that information is not even on my radar unless a great opportunity presents itself.

Another thing is patience. ISTP's generally have much more patience than they do. I've noticed ESTP's are not so good with this. LOL. They want "now" 20 minutes ago. ISTP's are a bit more willing to wait things out. Is this because we are lazier? IDK...
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    ISTP's generally have much more patience than they do.
    Oh my God, this statement SOOOO busts me.

FACT:
    I have ZERO patience.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    We both can read people and their motives very well. The difference is this. The ESTP knows how to put that information to practical use to implement his goals. ISTP's can do the same but it doesn't come naturally. Personally, I use that knowledge defensively. To protect myself and my friends from bad people. Doing anything with that information is not even on my radar unless a great opportunity presents itself.
    This is very interesting indeed, nice!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned

MDP2525 makes a good point. ESTPs are more sporadic and impatient. I know a couple ESTPs who just wont STFU....this is because they are not as focused or concentrated as an ISTP. ISTPs tend to take the focus on details to another level. The main difference is that ESTPS can manage 10 things at once decently while an ISTP can do 1 thing at a time well. ISTPS have higher concentration and focus but decreased awareness of other external stimuli ESTPS have increased awareness of external stimuli, decreased concentration and focus. ESTPs also tend to just act before they think, ISTPs take the time to think before they act.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    MDP2525 makes a good point. ESTPs are more sporadic and impatient. I know a couple ESTPs who just wont STFU....this is because they are not as focused or concentrated as an ISTP. ISTPs tend to take the focus on details to another level. The main difference is that ESTPS can manage 10 things at once decently while an ISTP can do 1 thing at a time well. ISTPS have higher concentration and focus but decreased awareness of other external stimuli ESTPS have increased awareness of external stimuli, decreased concentration and focus. ESTPs also tend to just act before they think, ISTPs take the time to think before they act.
    It drives me nuts because it really screws up timing sometimes because of the delay between thinking and acting.
    Im out, its been fun