• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Give me more differences, please! :D

I used to feel like I could tell an ESTP & ISTP apart really easily, but I've discovered more loner ESTP types as of late. What would be the difference between a slightly more extroverted ISTP and a slightly more introverted/loner ESTP? Is there any real defining difference at all? :shrug:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Give me more differences, please! :D

I used to feel like I could tell an ESTP & ISTP apart really easily, but I've discovered more loner ESTP types as of late. What would be the difference between a slightly more extroverted ISTP and a slightly more introverted/loner ESTP? Is there any real defining difference at all? :shrug:

A loner ESTP will still interact with people in a charming, smooth entreprneur and operator way, he may be very antisocial, but have a frisky, alpha male/alpha female style of communication. charged of breezing Fe, and more entertaining, working the crowd.

An outgoing ISTP will have a lot of friend, have a full of good cheet, smile a lot, but still come across as very in his head and cerebral, intelectualising Fe and using it in a controlled way while he tries to use it, rather than use it in a spontaneous and natural way like ESTPs.

Also, a loner ESTP will be more narcissist and hypomaniac, while an outgoing ISTP will be more negativistic.

An exemple of loner ESTP would be Alfred Hitchcock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvU64L758c
An exemple of outgoing ISTP would be Tom Cruise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

Do you see the difference?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont crave competition :shrug: I do what I do because I like to and for the thrill of doing it. I would more prefer to show off then compete. Its more about who I am and what I can do then having to prove that I am better then the world.

Agree. I just got asked this question of whether or not I'm competitive. I'm really not. I like to do my best, and it so happens that standard can hold up with a lot of others "competitiveness". I like to push myself. It's really not an outward thing for me.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A loner ESTP will still interact with people in a charming, smooth entreprneur and operator way, he may be very antisocial, but have a frisky, alpha male/alpha female style of communication. charged of breezing Fe, and more entertaining, working the crowd.

An outgoing ISTP will have a lot of friend, have a full of good cheet, smile a lot, but still come across as very in his head and cerebral, intelectualising Fe and using it in a controlled way while he tries to use it, rather than use it in a spontaneous and natural way like ESTPs.

This is true from what I've seen.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Also, a loner ESTP will be more narcissist and hypomaniac, while an outgoing ISTP will be more negativistic.

An exemple of loner ESTP would be Alfred Hitchcock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvU64L758c
An exemple of outgoing ISTP would be Tom Cruise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

Yep, makes sense to me :) Another question: What about an ISTP with just especially high Se? Would they necessarily look like the outgoing ISTP you described?

pv255

"Sensation, in the extraverted attitude, is most definitely conditioned by the object. As sense-perception, sensation is naturally dependent upon the object. But, just as naturally, it is also dependent upon the subject; hence, there is also a subjective sensation, which after its kind is entirely different from the objective. In the extraverted attitude this subjective share of sensation, in so far as its conscious application is concerned, is either inhibited or repressed. As an irrational function, sensation is equally repressed, whenever a rational function, thinking or feeling, possesses the priority, ie. it can be said to have a conscious function, only in so far as the rational attitude of consciousness permits accidental perceptions to become conscious contents; in short, realizes them. The function of sense is, of course, absolute in the stricter sense; for example, everything is seen or heard to the farthest physiological possibility, but not everything attains that threshold value which a perception must possess in order to be also apperceived. It is a different matter when sensation itself possesses priority, instead of merely seconding another function. In this case, no element of objective sensation is excluded and nothing repressed."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think I meet everything bolded except a lot of friends...I push people away alot. I dont have alot of friends and I dont want alot of friends.

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
an outgoing ISTP will be more negativistic.
Why would an outgoing ISTP be more negativistic? I consider myself to be an outgoing ISTP (don't have a problem talking to people, but I prefer to be listening) but I don't see myself as negativistic (or maybe I'm wrong.).

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I can see what you're saying about Tom Cruise controlling his Fe.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tom cruise is to emotional in my opinion to be ISTP and his "group" essence is WAY to strong. Maybe its his older age as I dont really know him when he was younger. I dont know him much these days, but he is to forceful with his opinion into the world to be ISTP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see what you're saying about Tom Cruise controlling his Fe.

It's obvious in comparaison with the true FJ Oprah Winfrey. Tom Cruis is a TP, not FJ, he is a square, no controlling and straight thinker, prefer to actively but quietly solve problems than talking about it, FJs are not like this.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It's obvious in comparaison with the true FJ Oprah Winfrey. Tom Cruis is a TP, not FJ, he is a square, no controlling and straight thinker, prefer to actively but quietly solve problems than talking about it, FJs are not like this.

I never said he was an FJ.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, but that's what some people do.

PJWakt

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The impatience thing is very true. ESTPs are very impatient, ISTPs less so.

PJWakt

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say ISTP has much less inclination towards being the centre of attention

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

he is a closet F :D

badger055

Permabanned
ISTP is more of a loner type even though it might not be obvious. ESTPs are more social.