User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

not as much recently though since I've been trying to eat more fresh veggies. but I could still eat for a while on my remaining food, albeit unhappily.
    OP, I was that person until about a year ago. I used to eat out all the time and I had a bunch snacks at home. Well, I'm on the wrong side of 25 and my metabolism can't keep up anymore.

So I started eating 'healthy' sort of, I don't buy sodas or any sweets unless its some sort of occasion. Instead of always eating wheat thins I've replaced them with a head of lettuce. When I get the urge to snack I grab lettuce from the fridge eat a few leaves, my friends think it is very weird but I'm used to it now-- it is less about having something delecious as as it is getting relief from annoying hunger between meals.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

I may be a packrat, but I'm definitely not a food packrat. I buy what I need for a couple weeks to a month. The only things that I might actually keep food long enough are basically canned foods. Even so, the majority of the foods tend to be fresh or food that needs to be used by a month or two.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    OP, I was that person until about a year ago. I used to eat out all the time and I had a bunch snacks at home. Well, I'm on the wrong side of 25 and my metabolism can't keep up anymore.

So I started eating 'healthy' sort of, I don't buy sodas or any sweets unless its some sort of occasion. Instead of always eating wheat thins I've replaced them with a head of lettuce. When I get the urge to snack I grab lettuce from the fridge eat a few leaves, my friends think it is very weird but I'm used to it now-- it is less about having something delecious as as it is getting relief from annoying hunger between meals.
    I know what your saying...but you can't starve yourself., you need to eat more frequently, with smaller portions and healthier foods. You should eat every 3-4 hours with healthier foods, this will increase your metabolism. You burn off fat this way, and your metabolism increases because your body isn't stuck in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode it basically starts to eat off your muscle, it will also slow down your metabolism. If you want to know what is healthy for you its basically anything that grows naturally and isn't concentrated or constructed by humans.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    When your body is in starvation mode it basically starts to eat off your muscle, it will also slow down your metabolism.
    It's called Ketosis but it takes a while before your body gets to this point. You basically have to starve yourself to the point you have no fat to burn. Am I right about that Jix? Just making sure.

Have you heard of this insane way of eating where you essentially starve yourself? They say it makes you live longer but it's very extreme in how you eat. It basically rules your life.

Here: Calorie restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the OP: I buy what I need. I like making big portions of stuff and having leftovers at hand. I definitely am not a packrat. I hate needless clutter.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It's called Ketosis but it takes a while before your body gets to this point. You basically have to starve yourself to the point you have no fat to burn. Am I right about that Jix? Just making sure.

Have you heard of this insane way of eating where you essentially starve yourself? They say it makes you live longer but it's very extreme in how you eat. It basically rules your life.

Here: Calorie restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I didn't read the link yet

I think it is catabolism you are thinking of. Starvation pushes the body into a catabolic state, the breaking down of larger to smaller units for energy. Ketosis is chronically elevated ketones in the blood. Ketones are produced during the conversion of fatty acids to energy when glycogen is unavailable. It was interesting when I was sick once and never had breakfast. The doctor took blood and I already had elevated ketones.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wait, so what was the question?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

I read the link. Even though there are some studies that link calorie restriction to longevity in the animals studied, I think that the risks and downside of extreme calorie restriction outweigh any potential benefit.

Longevity doesn't make for much of a goal when you aren't having any fun. It is always best to focus on becoming strong and healthy in order to enjoy life.

And as far as buying food. We shop frequently and food never piles up. We make sure of that by eating it up.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I read the link. Even though there are some studies that link calorie restriction to longevity in the animals studied, I think that the risks and downside of extreme calorie restriction outweigh any potential benefit.
    Great point, Wolfy.

It is not possible to assume humans will realize the same benefits as rodents or other mammals in studies of this nature.

Severe caloric restriction, especially if it is to the point of malnutrition during a human's formative years of early growth, are detrimental to a person. Even well past the age of the malnourishment, years and years into adulthood, heatlh issues manifest as a result of the malnutrition when a young child. Weak bones are an especially common predicament in people that weren't well nourished as kids. My mom and her three sisters were born between 1937 and 1943 in Germany. Well, in a postwar society good food was hard to come by. The youngest of her sisters did not get alot of meat or dairy products in her early years because of shortages associated with recovering from WWII. She has always had bone problems, and is now experiencing very bad arthritis.

I think that there is a good case for eating a healthy, well balanced diet composed of foods that are as fresh as possible, and at a level of caloric intake that is commensurate with your height/weight/composition/and level of activity. COMMON SENSE!

Longevity doesn't make for much of a goal when you aren't having any fun.
    Agreed!

It is always best to focus on becoming strong and healthy in order to enjoy life.
    Nicely stated.

And as far as buying food. We shop frequently and food never piles up. We make sure of that by eating it up.
    +1!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I didn't read the link yet

I think it is catabolism you are thinking of. Starvation pushes the body into a catabolic state, the breaking down of larger to smaller units for energy. Ketosis is chronically elevated ketones in the blood. Ketones are produced during the conversion of fatty acids to energy when glycogen is unavailable. It was interesting when I was sick once and never had breakfast. The doctor took blood and I already had elevated ketones.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So that's what the Adkins Diet does right? Puts your body in ketosis because you have no sugar to burn first?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes, that's what Atkins does.