12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Do functions change for people?

This isn't specifically directed towards ISFP's, but to any other introvert in an extroverted world... or anyone who just has some good information:

I'm an ISFP and I used to test as having extreme introversion. EXTREME! I was horribly shy, uncomfortable and even anxious around people for most of my life. I've gone through a few spurts here and there where I break out of it and meet a lot of people, but normally I'm a bit of a loner.

Recently, things have changed and I've been much more extroverted, much more social, much more talkative and willing to share. I've been meeting new people nearly every day and making loads of new friends. I've become very comfortable with chit chatting with strangers and making friends of them. I used to feel uncomfortable telling stories or even talking in front of more than one to two people at a time, but I've been catching myself doing elaborate and animated stories for people I hardly know.

They say you stay the same "type" at your core... but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm a bit more of an ESFP now. Have my functions switched at all? Is this just how other introverts are that are not shy? Or have I just better balanced out some weaker areas?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah there's a difference between shyness and introversion. Your functions don't switch at all, you just grow more into them and use them in different ways. As for the preferences; as people experience life more they balance themselves out and you get more balanced as a person (this is why it can be hard to type older people).
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Yeah there's a difference between shyness and introversion. Your functions don't switch at all, you just grow more into them and use them in different ways. As for the preferences; as people experience life more they balance themselves out and you get more balanced as a person (this is why it can be hard to type older people).
    yeah, i mean... i know not all introverts are shy. and not all shy people are introverts. but rather that i now blurt out more when i'm around people than i used to. i don't hold back anything anymore, which was never a problem before. which makes me wonder if that makes me less of an introvert.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Maybe you were always ESFP and your shyness masked it?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Maybe you were always ESFP and your shyness masked it?
    i thought about that for a minute. but i don't think so either. but i do feel as though there are some gears switching or something.

now i'm starting to feel as though it was silly to bring up. i think i just need to retreat back a bit.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I don't think it's silly, sometimes I've wondered if I'm just a really shy ESFP.

In which part of your life (the shy part or the outgoing part) did you feel the most energised/fulfilled?

Quinlan's Creations

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quin and Indy, you both present as pretty normal ISFPs. I don't suspect there would be many ESFPs who mistake themselves for introverts.

My ISFP sis was a very shy child, quiet, reserved and timid, if you said BOO! she'd jump. Now in her 30s she can easily be the centre of the party and hold everyone's attention in the palm of her hand without breaking a sweat, she is a natural entertainer and people gravitate towards her.

Your functions don’t change as much as they get developed, in this case aux Se.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

There was a period during 8th grade/high school when I became more extroverted(although was still an introvert). I was kind of a class clown, silly and goofing off, and most people around me commented on how I was more outgoing.

Some people were a little annoyed by that though and I even got into a fight with one of my classmates for fucking with him(he threw a book at me and I threw the book back at him, I thought we were goofing off, I was oblivious to his anger). Later on in high school I was a complete loner, sitting by myself at lunch and I've become more solitary the older I've gotten.

Right now I feel like it is between my strong inner world vs. the external world, so I am usually very quiet and quite detached(and sometimes oblivious to the environment around me, off in my own world). Some people may mistake this for shyness but really I'm not anxious around people, it's just that people seem like "energy vampires" to me. But if someone gets me started on a subject I'm interested in, I can talk for hours and hours.

Just ask yourself, what's more important to you, your Fi inner values or your Se(your at least an SFP right), but sometimes even that can be hard to figure out. Sometimes I feel I have a strong Ne attitude sometimes(like asking tons of what if questions and coming up with shit crazy ideas).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Hey Indy, I am wondering about the same thing. I don't know. Like you, I am also becoming much more sociable and carefree and talkative. I think perhaps we introverts take a longer time to learn but it is possible without us being hidden extroverts.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Quin and Indy, you both present as pretty normal ISFPs. I don't suspect there would be many ESFPs who mistake themselves for introverts.
    If extravert/introvert is about "where you get your energy from", I surely get it from the external world, doing things, looking at things, Se stuff. I don't think I get my energy from whatever it is Fi does.

Quinlan's Creations