User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Any ISFPs?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I paint walls - does that count?

  2. #22
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Yet it depends on the type of painting. For the sake of your argument, I would think that INFPs would be more into abstract paining and ISFPs more into landscapes and traditional painting such as Kincaide.
    Keirsey calls them the "composer artisans."


    "...excel in the "fine arts," having not only a natural grace of movement, but also an innate sense what fits and what doesn't fit in artistic compositions..."
    - The Portrait of the Composer Artisan (Keirsey)


    "ISFPs live in the world of sensation possibilities. They are keenly in tune with the way things look, taste, sound, feel and smell. They have a strong aesthetic appreciation for art, and are likely to be artists in some form, because they are unusually gifted at creating and composing things which will strongly affect the senses."
    - Portrait of an ISFP (The Personality Page)

  3. #23
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    These are excerpts from two of the sites that I think have better descriptions. The first is from bestfittype.com and the latter from Lifexplore. This is what they have to say about ISFPs.
    I have a lot of interests and I can get interested in one thing, and then something else comes along and that looks fascinating. I enjoy using the skills that I do have, and they’re varied. I’m always on the lookout for something that uses my skills and abilities, that will give me variety and still be stimulating and let me have a mission with people. In my best jobs, I was connecting with people and problem solving and often using tools, adapting equipment or techniques.

    My nature is when things get to a crunch, I’ll make something happen that will make it all right. I just know that I can do that and will do that. I love solving people problems.

    I like recognition. It’s very important to get complimented soon after an accomplishment. If something goes unnoticed or unrewarded, it doesn’t have the immediate impact that I want. I’ve been learning my own positive self-talk. I tend to be a workaholic at whatever it is I am doing. You might say I’m a perfectionist. I want people to be impressed with my performance. I don’t want anyone to be unhappy with my performance so I continue to perform, and that is kind of a driving force. It has been a constant struggle to not overdo it. I need a positive environment to work in and I need the people I’m working with to support me.
    In the past several months and more so now, I have come to appreciate that most descriptions make ISFPs out to be some quivering wimp afraid of their own shadows. I don’t see that and actually see them as being tougher than other introverted feeling types. I simply question the whole fine arts thing.
    ISFPs learn best through hands-on experience. They may not be as interested in traditional academic subjects as some other types. They prefer application and practicality rather than studying the theoretical and only potentially useful. Making drawings, constructing miniature models, or using other direct representations to master the subject matter are appealing activities for them. They dislike structure and institutional settings that take away their spontaneity and freedom. They want their learning to be relevant to what is going on in their world. They have less patience with conceptual and abstract learning.

    ISFPs enjoy learning subjects that relate to helping and knowing about people. They may be easily overlooked in the classroom unless the teacher has recognized their special ways of learning and their unique contributions. Encouragement helps draw out ISFPs.
    At work, ISFPs contribute by attending to the practical facts relating to the needs of people and all living things in their environments. They can infuse a particular knod of joy into cooperative nature. Because they pay attention to the humanistic aspects of the organization, they act in ways that ensure others' well-being. People enjoy ISFPs because they bring understanding yet adaptability to the realities of their work.

    ISFPs enjoy occupations that allow them to be flexible and adaptable and to meet the here-and-now needs of others. They enjoy responding to the moment and choose work where they can offer practical, specific help in times of difficulty.

    Some occupations are more appealing to ISFPs: Bookkeeper, carpenter, personal service worker, clerical supervisor and secretary, dental and medical staffers, food service worker, nurse, mechanic, physical therapist, X-ray technician, and other occupations that allow them to provide gentle help to all living things.

  4. #24
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I simply question the whole fine arts thing.
    Why? I am just curious.

  5. #25
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Why? I am just curious.
    Good question, and off the top of my head I would have to say that ISFPs are no different than other SPs in having a core need for practicality. Fine arts is similar to other subjects where the average SP may appreciate, however find impractical and question it's application in the real world. As such, the core needs of SPs preclude us from many of the subjects where no means of application are clear.

  6. #26
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Good question, and off the top of my head I would have to say that ISFPs are no different than other SPs in having a core need for practicality. Fine arts is similar to other subjects where the average SP may appreciate, however find impractical and question it's application in the real world. As such, the core needs of SPs preclude us from many of the subjects where no means of application are clear.
    I am almost certain my brother is an ISFP as I forced him at gunpoint to take the humanmentrics test and that is what he got Since he knew zero about MBTI there's a good chance his results were accurate.

    He loves to learn but only if that which he is learning is applicable to the real world. He has little interest or patience for the abstract.

  7. #27
    Member Frankie-NOTRUST-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    Isfp
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I've been playing clarinet for 7 years. i recently picked up tenor sax and it was a breeze to learn. im also in drumline and i pla guitar fluently. music comes very easy for me. it makes sense whereas science and math make no sense whatsoever.

    then again, thats just me.


    hope it helped?
    "They're not particular about whether you're playing a flatted fifth or a ruptured 129th as long as they can dance to it."
    Dizzy Gillespie

    "Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don't let them take you ALIVE."
    Sid Vicious

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
    Bob Dylan

  8. #28
    Senior Member riel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EsoteriEccentri View Post
    ISFPs are my favourite type, and a type I would want to be.
    I'm INFP and my biggest talent is art, particularly fine art. However the ISFPs I know are more into textiles or something similar such as design or drama - but none of them are into fine art. Though of course, I don't know many and I'm the only INFP I know.
    I'm an ISFP and into fine art...specifically graphics design. I draw, paint(rarely, I'm not patient in completing it ), sketch, and doodle. When it comes to hands-on activities like textiles, sewing, or something like that...I usually fail, and that makes me really frustrated :steam: But I find comfort in fine art..so, I guess I'm one of the ISFPs that specializes in fine art
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I am an ISFP and I enjoy all aspects of photography. I really like editing and creating enhanced images out of my photos. I wanted to do it so badly I taught myself photoshop. I knit, crochet, and do needle point. In middle school until I graduated I played first chair flute and was in acapella flute trio.

    I guess you can say I like crafts because when I'm through creating something I can use it!

  10. #30
    Member Sidewinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I know several ISFPs who are into the fine arts (painting, for example), and I'm trying to get back into art myself. However, I find that abstract and conceptual work leaves me cold. I'm more keen on traditional painting. I do enjoy some level of stylization (like Monet, Cezanne, or the Group of 7 artists), but I want it to relate to life somehow. I love the sense of craft that goes into traditional painting. It's just so beautiful, I can't stop looking.

Similar Threads

  1. Do any of you INTPs behave like ISFPs when you are under stress?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 06:32 AM
  2. [ENFJ] Any ENFJs in relationship with ISFPs ? Share !
    By DoggyGirl in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 12:16 AM
  3. [ISFP] Any ISFPs actively posting on here?
    By Hotherym in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 11:23 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Any ISFP's married to NF's here???
    By BookLady in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
  5. [ISFP] help with an ISFP?
    By laughing dolphin in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO