User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTP

Default ISTP masquerading as INFP?

I first got interested in MBTI stuff when I was around 17, at which time I typed out as an INFP. I continued to test as INFP all through college (though T started appearing near the end), until somewhat recently, and now I'm ISTP. When I first started learning about MBTI I had dismissed the ISTP type for me because of its standard association with things like motorcycles, cars, and skydiving (I have zero interest in any of those things), but the sporty and technical nature of the ISTP does resonate with me quite well.

Reading through the descriptions of both types, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was always ISTP but the circumstances during that part of my life made me type out differently. I was under a lot of emotional distress during that time, and only after I worked out the emotional issues did I start to test out as ISTP. Is it possible that ISTPs under a lot of emotional stress (unrequited love, emotional manipulation from close friends, heavy pressure to express emotional sentiments in group settings, etc.) might type out as something different?

I'm an ISTP female BTW, in case it makes a difference

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

yeah, for sure. i think it makes sense. one of my best friends is an istp, and we could never figure out what she was until recently. it was hard to type her especially because she is so nonverbal and private. AND, if you ever did see her emotional... you'd absolutely assume she was a feeler.

i agree that the best way to tell is by reading the descriptions of istps as opposed to relying on the test. the istps on this board seem to be of one mind and so i definitely think what they say will resonate with you if you are in fact one.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't tend to test as my type on the stupid simple tests, so it's quite possible
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I might have typed as an (unhealthy) infp in high school when I was melodramatic and depressed and emotional. hard to say.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

i think it makes perfect sense. and if you're going through some rough times, you're likely to reflect a lot as well as be emotional, which is why you probably tested as an INFP.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Under stress I can totally see this. I work at a very stressful job (forced socializing, communication issues -I work with 90% NF's, etc.) and it brings out the worst in me. I become a different person almost. Hair trigger emotions. One of my co-workers is an INFP and people say we are very similar....but he drives me nuts. LOL.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Hell, I still sometimes test as an INFP. Be whatever type makes you happy, yeah? That's what I think.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Which of the three types is more dominating?
    1.) INFP
    2.) ISTP
    3.) INTP

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

you know... i keep testing as INFP as well. i think it's really tertiary Ni confusing these results on ISFP's and ISTP types.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

The second letter relates to how you take information. It's also the easier letter for me to type in others. I usually ask for directions or instructions on how to do something. If they give me specific instructions (drive 5 miles, turn North on Main Street, go past two stop lights, etc), they're usually an S. If they give me general instructions (turn right on main street, it's about a mile down on left), then they're an N.

The 3rd letter is decision making. I type that in other people with two questions: where do you want to go for lunch? why there? Depending on how they answer, I can tell if they're a T or an F.

It's really about timing when I pop those questions because you have to do it when they're comfortable and not thinking about it.

For me, they Myers-Briggs is all about behavior preference is effects personality but it isn't the same as personality.
    Dare to be what you are and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not. - Henri Frederic Amiel

www.infpblog.com - Blogging my thoughts on what it means to be an INFP