• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni in SPs

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Maybe Ni is what makes me come up with stoopid jokes and silly puns.

gromit

likes this
Okay I know I swore off functions for awhile, but I was wondering if anyone else could relate to this...

I have this mental network of streets and bus routes and subway routes (and the ocean and the river), how they overlap and intersect and where different destinations are in relation to it all. I can turn it around in my mind as though I were rotating an actual map, plop myself down into the map like the little google maps street view and move between the mental network and where I am in reality. And every time I arrive somewhere in a new way, from a new direction or on a different mode, I 'add' that information to the mental network.

Is this an example of how Se and Ni might work together?

Sunny Ghost

Okay I know I swore off functions for awhile, but I was wondering if anyone else could relate to this...

I have this mental network of streets and bus routes and subway routes (and the ocean and the river), how they overlap and intersect and where different destinations are in relation to it all. I can turn it around in my mind as though I were rotating an actual map, plop myself down into the map like the little google maps street view and move between the mental network and where I am in reality. And every time I arrive somewhere in a new way, from a new direction or on a different mode, I 'add' that information to the mental network.

me too!! or so i used to. i was explaining this to someone the other day. i used to constantly create mental maps or even floormaps! say, i'm in a new building or house. i recreate the entire layer, careful not to miss anything. when i come across inconsistencies, i wonder if there are hidden passageways or something, and get stuck on why this floormap isn't fitting together properly. and same goes for roads. we have one road here in town that always threw off my entire mental map.

i'm not sure why my mind has stopped doing this...

Sunny Ghost

I suppose I equate Ni with some of the earlier statements. It makes me question modern living, governmental and societal restraint, my need to understand my dreams and my own unconscious, my desire to connect with something larger than myself, and interest in spirituality.

Perhaps this is why I get confused with INFP's on a lot of personality tests.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
actually, yes! thank you. :)

i still yearn to learn more about it though. care to add in some about Fe vs. Fi and Te vs. Ti?

Sure, I can do that.

Again, I'll start of by looking at them as extroverted judging and introverted judging functions.

Extroverted judging is a drive to respond to the pragmatic needs of the world, to define a goal and then seek to forefill it. It asses things in terms of their utility.

Introverted judging is a form of subjective evaluation. It seeks to decide the worth of something, rather than just it's utility. Introverted judging drives the user to live up to the ideals that they admire.

This is why the two states alienate each other. The more the more the subjective worth is held up high, the more the utility gets ignored. Concern your self overly utility of things, the more liable you are to forget that there are other of measures of a thing.

Of the two extroverted judging functions, Fe deals with social goals and obligations. It responds to opportunities and threats within the social structure. It concrerns itself more with what people actually need on a day to day basis then any discusions of morality. Depending upon the person, Fe can be both caring or domineering. For example, in America during the time of Martin Luther King there where probably a lot of FJs on both sides of the conflict. Functions are motivations, not opinions.

Te concerns itself with the logistical, technical side of things. It is liable to respond to needs in supply and demand, infrastructure or the availability of food/goods. Te is essentially impersonal.

The weakness of extroverted judging doms is comes from the weak introverted judging. They either refuse to acknowledge subjective worth, leading to them doing things that upset people (like demolishing the sistine chaple to put up a McDonalds) or they make a subjective judgement, but fail to realise they've done it, treating the opinion as if it was an objective fact.

Introverted feeling concerns itself with morality and emotion, determining the worth of things in accordance with moral/philosophical values. It creates a drive to uphold this values. Fi isn't nessesarily kind though. It can become over demanding, expecting standards that are impossible to actually live up to. For example, certain religious groups have been known to perform self castration to avoid experiencing lust. Horrible as the thought is, it is Fi driven.

Introverted thinking is preoccupied with assessing technical excellence. In the primary position, it creates a drive to achieve greate skill in some chosen field. In an INTP, this field might be mathematics or science. In an ISTP it might crafts, sports, martial arts or something similar. Just like Fi, it can become over demanding, leading to the ITP to isolate themselves in order to avoid being distracted while they perfect their skills.

There you go, that's pretty much how I look at the functions.

wolfy

awsm

That reminds me of this thing where I visualise the muscles working and kind of enter the muscle network as I watch people train. That is either Se and Ni or a few episodes of House stuck in my brain somewhere.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't have mental maps, I have a very good sense of direction though, I surprise myself how well I can find where I want to be based pretty much on gut feeling alone.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is what I like about them. They are just abstractions to reflect on, not to clarify. Like an image of something represents almost the same thing to everybody, yet at the same time is different for everybody.

Hey, whatever flies your plane, man. This is one of those few areas we're not twins, though. Those kind of things range from useless to annoying for me.