• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP and Pets

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hey, do any other ISTPs find this description true lol

The most obvious thing that could give ISTps away is probably their obsession with pets. Sometimes it could reach ridiculous dimensions, turning ISTp's place into a zoo. This obsession is very closely connected with ISTp's hidden agenda. Since ISTps have unconscious need to be able to show their affection towards another, who could be a better suitable candidate for this than a pet, or better a dozen of them. People can reject your love and your good intentions, pets will never.

Source: ISTp uncovered

(Caution: MBTI ISTP do not necessarily translate to Socionics ISTp, but rather ISTx)

KDude

I know two ISTP ish guys like this. One's married now, but for awhile there, he had a little plot of land, a trailer by himself, with literally like a dozen dogs running around.

The other had some big lizards at one point..

I like pets too.. and it's easier to be more affectionate with them.. but all of those dogs would be too much work. And lizards aren't furry enough.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see how that may work. I've had an obsession with every pet I've had. You know how some people always joke that their pet is their child? I think I might take that to the extreme. :mellow: People always tease me for having 100x more empathy for animals than people. I think part of it's because I have a tendency to protect things that I don't feel can properly protect themselves. The other part may be due to the description you quoted.

However, I usually have only a pet or two at any given time. I don't think I can sufficiently give any more than that the love and attention they need.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Au contraire. Cats are choosy. Dogs are not choosy at all.

I don't know my cat though is like a dog, he follows me around he comes to me when I call him. One time I was even play fighting with a friend and my cat started to attack my friends leg and bite him, so me and him are close yo. :)

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Istps - do you prefer cats to dogs or vice versa? Or does it matter much?

All animals are cool with me, but having been a dog owner, I wouldn't want to be one again any time soon, because of how much attention I had to give her. Don't know what it's like to have cats, but I think I like how independent they are.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I like the idea of cats better, but in reality, all animals (except fish) shed and poop too much. I hate having fur all over the place, having a room dedicated to a litter box, having pee pads... I had 2 bettas in college, but they died a few years ago and I never replaced them. I had a tiny cheap tank for each of them and I had to change the water out too often. If I got a pet again, I'd probably go for fish and get a nicer tank with a pump/filter. I know there's maintenance there too, but it would be less than once a week for changing the water.

I grew up with dogs my whole life. I didn't realize how much I'm not a dog person until I went to college and didn't have to deal with them. I honestly can't stand living with dogs anymore. I hate it at my parents house 'cause the dogs are everywhere. And dogs are fucking needy. And they make everything reek of dog. Nothing smells like it should. Nothing is hair-free. And they're a chore and a big old drain on the bank account.

If I never have a dog again, I think I'll be pretty happy. It's a little unfortunate that my man wants a dog someday. :(

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My bank-robber ISTP friend who went through a life of becoming "hard" in and out of various institutions seemed to do a complete character shift when he would tend and observe feral rabbits in his neighborhood.

It was hard not to laugh at him on how serious and focused he was about his rabbits. My best friend and I found the apparent hard gangster/soft husbandry contrast hilarious but we kept the joke secret because tending these rabbits seemed like such a high value with the ISTP and showing us the rabbits was him demonstrating trust to us.

KDude

^heh that reminds me of Mike Tyson...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubIlBKZFHsI].[/youtube]

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^Haha exactly!!! Totally hit the nail on the head.

I could sympathize with Uncle Frank of being a bit uncomfortable at first and eventually getting into the grove of the "ISTP animal kinship/husbandry" experience.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I like the idea of cats better, but in reality, all animals (except fish) shed and poop too much. I hate having fur all over the place, having a room dedicated to a litter box, having pee pads... I had 2 bettas in college, but they died a few years ago and I never replaced them. I had a tiny cheap tank for each of them and I had to change the water out too often. If I got a pet again, I'd probably go for fish and get a nicer tank with a pump/filter. I know there's maintenance there too, but it would be less than once a week for changing the water.

I grew up with dogs my whole life. I didn't realize how much I'm not a dog person until I went to college and didn't have to deal with them. I honestly can't stand living with dogs anymore. I hate it at my parents house 'cause the dogs are everywhere. And dogs are fucking needy. And they make everything reek of dog. Nothing smells like it should. Nothing is hair-free. And they're a chore and a big old drain on the bank account.

If I never have a dog again, I think I'll be pretty happy. It's a little unfortunate that my man wants a dog someday. :(

I share a similar view... The smells are what get me. There are people out there who become accustomed to the dog smell and it doesn't bother them, but I cannot stand being in a house that smells like wet, unwashed dog. Cats are just the same except worse, either you smell the litter box or you smell their spray, which incidentally they *love* to spray their nasty-ass smell all over garages and tool sets, not to mention urine can cause substansial rust.

Screw pets, if I wanted to clean up after something and feed it all the time I'd rather just have a kid. At least they can learn to clean up their own filth.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if we're talking about Socionics ISTps here, I adore animals, if I had a say in it we'd have several dogs running around in the house... the man is allergic to dogs however, and I'm allergic to cats :sadbanana:

I still want another dog though, dammit :steam:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I share a similar view... The smells are what get me. There are people out there who become accustomed to the dog smell and it doesn't bother them, but I cannot stand being in a house that smells like wet, unwashed dog. Cats are just the same except worse, either you smell the litter box or you smell their spray, which incidentally they *love* to spray their nasty-ass smell all over garages and tool sets, not to mention urine can cause substansial rust.

Screw pets, if I wanted to clean up after something and feed it all the time I'd rather just have a kid. At least they can learn to clean up their own filth.

Yep. :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I like dogs because of their heightened outward responsiveness to interaction with humans. That said, they are a huge chore to take care of, and they pretty much destroy your living area if you keep them indoors. Additionally, they are (as others have mentioned) extremely needy.

I prefer cats because they are less work. They have their own daily agendas that they go about without needing or wanting your attention. They do need to be neutered/spayed, though, or else they will spray all over the fucking place.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know my cat though is like a dog, he follows me around he comes to me when I call him. One time I was even play fighting with a friend and my cat started to attack my friends leg and bite him, so me and him are close yo. :)

that is adorable!!