User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    We all physically live in the present moment, unless you time traveled.D If you are alluding to mentally living in the future, I think you would agree that we have to use the Ni function for that purpose. Otherwise, Ne is an extraverted function, needing extraverted stimuli to work. As a result, Ne sees possibilities for the future, Se types see opportunities.

With that said depending on which theory you subscribe to, Lenore Thomson has ISJs using Ni as it's third function (only behind INJs and ENJs). As an SP, I think about the future and don't live in the moment unless I am physically doing something of interest. If I am taking a walk, laying dormant or even doing repetitive work on the computer or in the yard, I think about the future and my mind wonders.
    It surprises me that you are an ISTP. You do not communicate any differently to XNXX's. On a forum it's normally immediately obvious who the sensors are. I find it hard to believe a sensor would have patience for a topic such as this, especially an SP. I accept your self-typing, but it surprises me very much. I do not know a single SP who would enjoy spending a lot of time on a forum such as this.
    dead man talking

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My SJ sister-in-law actually got angry at my brother when he started a retirement account because she didn't think they could afford it. Once I told her that my husband had a 401K through his job and that we were putting as much into it as his job would match because we are not getting any younger and we don't want to retire poor, she seemed to feel better about my brother having that account. It really surprised me that she hadn't pushed for him to get one in the first place because she is normally such a whiz with money.
    So like maybe an S might be thinking that even if it is for longterm and a person does not have enough money to do it now that they shouldnt do it then because 'practially' if they mess up now, there wont be a person for the 401 to even apply too? Cause for me, I would then possible argue that when is a good time to start one then? If I am not getting younger and do not see my pay increasing or debts decreasing then should I just sit on my butt and wait for retirement to come without any money saved up? I guess I (not sure if this is anti-S or not) says, out of the two situations (i.e. dying early from lack of money, vs taking a risk to work out something that could eliminate both problems) that I should take the opportunity that leads towards to best possible outcome assuming things work out. That although it may not seem that way now, nothing will change unless I try at least. Would an S say, that its not very practical because that rests on the ideal that it will work out and if it doesnt I may be in a worse situation? Etc etc etc along these lines of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Arilee View Post
    One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....
    You mention NPs what do you think of this compared to NJs though? Also, what is it that makes Ss so good a being quickly adaptable in plans but still maintain an outcome that doesn't completely screw it up by changing so much?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    You mention NPs what do you think of this compared to NJs though? Also, what is it that makes Ss so good a being quickly adaptable in plans but still maintain an outcome that doesn't completely screw it up by changing so much?
    NJs I know typically have plans inside their heads... nothing overly detailed like SJs say must get this done by XXX... but they still have them. While they can adapt to changes, the first moment where problem arises flusters them a bit, where as SPs just say whatever and get right on with it.

Wheee!

typity-typity-typity

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    It surprises me that you are an ISTP. You do not communicate any differently to XNXX's. On a forum it's normally immediately obvious who the sensors are. I find it hard to believe a sensor would have patience for a topic such as this, especially an SP. I accept your self-typing, but it surprises me very much. I do not know a single SP who would enjoy spending a lot of time on a forum such as this.
    I actually think there are a great deal of SPs, misperceiving themselves as NTs on these forums. It's quite common for SPs, particularly ISTPs to mistaken themselves as NTs. As for your statement, I think you made the great observation that people are not different IRL. Besides if you find me on here during work hours, then I am taking a break and bored. I have a desk job. If I had a choice, I would most likely be doing something other than posting on a forum.
    Last edited by "?"; 05-23-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Every see a problem with your tendency to live only within the present moment?

Um. Not really. I wonder why you would see it as a "problem", since everyone is by all accounts living in the "present moment"?

For me, I certainly care a lot about what I have at the present, like which degree I should pursue, how many friends I have, how well I'm doing financially, what car I'm driving (none, I don't even have a driving license), the well being of my parents... etc. I mean, I only focus on real things/people, and I don't see why others won't do the same.

I suppose imagination and day dreaming have their purposes but if you don't write them out as a novel or something to earn a few bucks then what's the point. <- I suppose this is what you mean by "living only in the present moment"?

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by KMCE View Post
    [I]For me, I certainly care a lot about what I have at the present, like which degree I should pursue, how many friends I have, how well I'm doing financially, what car I'm driving (none, I don't even have a driving license), the well being of my parents... etc. I mean, I only focus on real things/people, and I don't see why others won't do the same.
    Well like I said, not all sensing types are the same. I have a need to be financially stable, but doing work that is meaningful is far more important. As I write this, there is a discussion going on about identity theft, credit cards and credit. I find it all a bit boring. In fact, most discussions at work surround day to day things, which I find quite plebian.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCE View Post
    [I]I suppose imagination and day dreaming have their purposes but if you don't write them out as a novel or something to earn a few bucks then what's the point. <- I suppose this is what you mean by "living only in the present moment"?
    Hmmmm....... I daydream quite a bit and actually hate writing anything out.
    Last edited by "?"; 05-11-2007 at 02:52 PM.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am an SJ. And yes, I tend to have a problem with only living in the moment. I don't like thinking about the future, despite being J. It scares me. This also makes a procrastinator.. if I have something due in the future, I'll just not think about it until a few hours until I have to. I also don't like to do huge things that involve my future. For example, it took me a long time to do my FAFSA just because I don't like thinking about college. I know I should very P right now, but I am definitely J when it comes to other things. I like to be planned and structured, but I don't like thinking too far ahead. Sometimes this gets me into trouble, because I'm so scared of the future, that I'll just put things off. Like when I had to apply to colleges, I just kept putting it off because I didn't want to think about it. I don't know why I'm like this.. it's definitely a huge problem though. I really wish I were able to face my future better.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    So like maybe an S might be thinking that even if it is for longterm and a person does not have enough money to do it now that they shouldnt do it then because 'practially' if they mess up now, there wont be a person for the 401 to even apply too? Cause for me, I would then possible argue that when is a good time to start one then? If I am not getting younger and do not see my pay increasing or debts decreasing then should I just sit on my butt and wait for retirement to come without any money saved up? I guess I (not sure if this is anti-S or not) says, out of the two situations (i.e. dying early from lack of money, vs taking a risk to work out something that could eliminate both problems) that I should take the opportunity that leads towards to best possible outcome assuming things work out. That although it may not seem that way now, nothing will change unless I try at least. Would an S say, that its not very practical because that rests on the ideal that it will work out and if it doesnt I may be in a worse situation? Etc etc etc along these lines of thought
    FWIW, they aren't in any danger of dying from lack of money.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by girlnamedbless View Post
    I am an SJ. And yes, I tend to have a problem with only living in the moment. I don't like thinking about the future, despite being J. It scares me. This also makes a procrastinator.. if I have something due in the future, I'll just not think about it until a few hours until I have to. I also don't like to do huge things that involve my future. For example, it took me a long time to do my FAFSA just because I don't like thinking about college. I know I should very P right now, but I am definitely J when it comes to other things. I like to be planned and structured, but I don't like thinking too far ahead. Sometimes this gets me into trouble, because I'm so scared of the future, that I'll just put things off. Like when I had to apply to colleges, I just kept putting it off because I didn't want to think about it. I don't know why I'm like this.. it's definitely a huge problem though. I really wish I were able to face my future better.
    Now that is interesting as I don't know one SJ in my life who isn't a planner for all things now and in the future (as it relates to practical, concrete things)
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.