User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    STP

I personally like to keep my needs simple. Its when you go and complicate things alot that the future matters. If you keep everything simple and open then what happens in the future doesnt really matter because you have the capacity to handle it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    was that supposed to be how do you deal?
    Attention class! Professor Erinavery will now deliver lessons on the proper use of grammar. Beware of her swagger stick...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    No. The past is decided. The present is relevant to the here and now and is also the gateway to the future, that which is yet to come.

Having steadfast presence in the present is not a hindrance.

Long range planning (e.g. retirement, health care accomodations, etc.) are separate and distinct from being alive in the here and now.
    Agreed, with the exception of your final point -- in practice, there can be no distinction between present and future goals. Their connection is symbiotic, as they invariably cooperate to distinguish the overall quality of life one enjoys.

Generally, I find that many who ceaselessly plan for the "future" end up living their lives in spite of the present.

Planning ahead is a good idea. It enhances clarity on potential load-bearing obstacles that might otherwise hinder effective resource management (money; family planning; job outlook, etc...). Makes it easier to navigate the complexities of life, while preparing for moments of vulnerability later on.

The paradox is that too much focus can hamper one's enjoyment of simple pleasures -- things like family; money management and career opportunities. Sacrificing this peripheral analysis can easily pollute one's ability to develop a reliable framework for future events.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Attention class! Professor Erinavery will now deliver lessons on the proper use of grammar. Beware of her swagger stick...
    shush. i was trying to make sure i understood what he was asking!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I enjoyed your post, Night.

//

For me, I think it's good to look a few steps forward, in order to prepare on the possible (most predictable, perhaps) changes and be able to check up on your necessities if that's really needed... and it's also good to know yourself (also gives some kind of preparation)... but other than that, and especially when I feel in place, I just like to enjoy the very moment

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Agreed, with the exception of your final point -- in practice, there can be no distinction between present and future goals. Their connection is symbiotic, as they invariably cooperate to distinguish the overall quality of life one enjoys.

Generally, I find that many who ceaselessly plan for the "future" end up living their lives in spite of the present.

Planning ahead is a good idea. It enhances clarity on potential load-bearing obstacles that might otherwise hinder effective resource management (money; family planning; job outlook, etc...). Makes it easier to navigate the complexities of life, while preparing for moments of vulnerability later on.

The paradox is that too much focus can hamper one's enjoyment of simple pleasures -- things like family; money management and career opportunities. Sacrificing this peripheral analysis can easily pollute one's ability to develop a reliable framework for future events.
    I liked this post too.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    After reading this thread I feel like throwing up my dinner
    My God!! I feel the exact same way....could we be twins?