• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and fantasy/sci fi

Do you like fantasy and science fiction?

• Total voters

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know about you guys, but when it comes to sci-fi or fantasy, I don't really use my N any more than when I watch something realistic. Unless I'm reading it, anyway. Most of it is very sensory (laserz and sword-fights oh my)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm picky about my sci-fi. i.e. Although I really liked the Matrix series, it'd annoy the crap out of me to have other types...try to engage in discussions beyond the basic story line. Or yeah it was a cool movie. ;)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know why a sensor coul'nt like evasion. The man who've initiate me was my father, he had dozens and dozens of sci-fi/fantasy books. I've read Jules Verne at 9 and Dune at 10. He is ISFJ.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know why a sensor coul'nt like evasion. The man who've initiate me was my father, he had dozens and dozens of sci-fi/fantasy books. I've read Jules Verne at 9 and Dune at 10. He is ISFJ.

When I was 6 or 7 I had 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on record alblum.

Movie was one of my favorites. :blush:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I've always loved the fantasy genre. Couldn't even count how many fantasy books I've read. They were definitely my favorite growing up... When my parents couldn't find me, it was because I climbed a tree to read a fantasy book. :laugh: A good place not to be interrupted by annoying siblings. :yes:

lol how do you manage to read a book on top of a tree?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always loved the fantasy genre. Couldn't even count how many fantasy books I've read. They were definitely my favorite growing up... When my parents couldn't find me, it was because I climbed a tree to read a fantasy book. :laugh: A good place not to be interrupted by annoying siblings. :yes:

I used to hide out from recess in the classroom by the bookshelf. :laugh: It's surprising how invisible one can be, even in the middle of the hallway. Be one with the surroundings.

KDude

I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was young. Anyone read those? Turn to page 131 if Yes. Page 56 if No. :cool:

KDude

I had stacks of them..

Not all were fantasy though. One was kinda different, where you started off as a low level guy in a wrestling league, and went through different fights and such. :D

wolfy

awsm
I only had a few, maybe just five, straight action stuff not fantasy.

KDude

It was the comic books that were the real reading material for me though. Umm, and that's fantasy I guess.

I took some of it seriously too. There's an element about fantasy that can be translated into real life. Whether it's in further creativity, or getting inspired by heroic lessons being taught in them.

KDude

I almost forgot there was a whole segment in her book about this. One thing Lenore Thomson mentions is that IFPs actually do gravitate towards fantasy (and made no distinction with S or N). There is Fi sentiment and idealism there. Even Elvis was a comic book geek (that's where he got his hair from..his favorite character, Captain Marvel). Same with Gwen Stefani, who gets a lot of her ideas from anime (and calls herself "Nerd Central" heh).

IFPs feel [..] tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason IFPs turn to archetypal imagery ---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values.

Sunny Ghost

I almost forgot there was a whole segment in her book about this. One thing Lenore Thomson mentions is that IFPs actually do gravitate towards fantasy (and made no distinction with S or N). There is Fi sentiment and idealism there. Even Elvis was a comic book geek (that's where he got his hair from..his favorite character, Captain Marvel). Same with Gwen Stefani, who gets a lot of her ideas from anime (and calls herself "Nerd Central" heh).

IFPs feel [..] tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason IFPs turn to archetypal imagery ---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values.
:thumbup:

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was young. Anyone read those? Turn to page 131 if Yes. Page 56 if No. :cool:

Yes! I collected those books when I was young. Loved them.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
However, for me, fantasy and science fiction are amongst my favorite genres.

Yes. I'm into entertainment to ENTERTAIN ME. Reality is great, and is often more amusing than fiction, but science fiction is a great vehicle for entertaining folks, IMO.

I'm actually sort of bored with anything that's too realistic. How do you other SP's feel about fantasy and science fiction?

Yes again. :D Too realistic can be damn boring. What's the point? You might as well just walk out of the theater and look around on the street. :laugh:

When I was a kid I loved the Narnia books, The Lord of the Rings, the Terry Brooks "Shanarrah" series, and some Sci-Fi like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One pangalactic-gargleblaster please. :cheers:

gromit

likes this

Hahaha... I liked those, but somehow I would always die at the end. I would always choose the path that lead toward death.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
All this talk of Sci Fi has me rewatching BSG!! :D I put the miniseries on this weekend and watched the first episode last night. Yum.

One of my friends-ish gave me a gift card to BestBuy for watching his dog for a weekend, and I didn't know what I wanted for a couple of months. Last night I was in there and realized I didn't have season 4.5 (prolly 'cause the end sucked, lol). So I got it!! YAAAAAAAAAAY! :D I'll just pretend the ending is different than it really is.

Sunny Ghost

Yes. I'm into entertainment to ENTERTAIN ME. Reality is great, and is often more amusing than fiction, but science fiction is a great vehicle for entertaining folks, IMO.

Yes again. :D Too realistic can be damn boring. What's the point? You might as well just walk out of the theater and look around on the street. :laugh:

When I was a kid I loved the Narnia books, The Lord of the Rings, the Terry Brooks "Shanarrah" series, and some Sci-Fi like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One pangalactic-gargleblaster please. :cheers:

Strangely enough, however, some don't enjoy it. :shock: I started this thread because of an ISTP roommate of mine that despises anything imaginative, fantasy oriented, or science fiction like. It's incredibly bizarre to me. Tv show wise, he loves Mythbusters and Friends... and movie wise, he's more into historical dramas or documentaries. Which is cool, I dig that stuff too. I just prefer something more out of this world. And I think it's like wolfy, or quinlin, or kdude mentioned earlier... for me, a lot of it strikes some ideology's for me. Being weak in Te, it's always hard for me to explain... but I know I feel it when I watch/read it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strangely enough, however, some don't enjoy it. :shock: I started this thread because of an ISTP roommate of mine that despises anything imaginative, fantasy oriented, or science fiction like. It's incredibly bizarre to me. Tv show wise, he loves Mythbusters and Friends... and movie wise, he's more into historical dramas or documentaries. Which is cool, I dig that stuff too. I just prefer something more out of this world.

The most boring thing I have ever seen in my life is reality television. :sick:

Why would I want to watch some half-wits bumble around a set making asses of themselves? :rolli:

One thing about sci-fi I've always liked is that despite the differences in the beings and universe of the story's setting, there is usually one or more good parallels to phenomena in our world utilized as part of the plot in the movie. Kind of like Aesop's Fables, but with aliens, starships, and mythical creatures.

And I think it's like wolfy, or quinlin, or kdude mentioned earlier... for me, a lot of it strikes some ideology's for me. Being weak in Te, it's always hard for me to explain... but I know I feel it when I watch/read it.

Yes, I hear you on that.

It's entertainment, and it has the capacity to teach a lesson or two here or there as well. That's a good thing in my book. :)