User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like fantasy and science fiction?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an ISFP and yes!

8 25.81%
  • I'm an ISFP and no!

0 0%
  • I'm an ESFP and yes!

1 3.23%
  • I'm an ESFP and no!

2 6.45%
  • I'm an ISTP and yes!

15 48.39%
  • I'm an ISTP and no!

2 6.45%
  • I'm an ESTP and yes!

3 9.68%
  • I'm an ESTP and no!

0 0%
First 6789 Last

It was the comic books that were the real reading material for me though. Umm, and that's fantasy I guess.

I took some of it seriously too. There's an element about fantasy that can be translated into real life. Whether it's in further creativity, or getting inspired by heroic lessons being taught in them.

I almost forgot there was a whole segment in her book about this. One thing Lenore Thomson mentions is that IFPs actually do gravitate towards fantasy (and made no distinction with S or N). There is Fi sentiment and idealism there. Even Elvis was a comic book geek (that's where he got his hair from..his favorite character, Captain Marvel). Same with Gwen Stefani, who gets a lot of her ideas from anime (and calls herself "Nerd Central" heh).

IFPs feel [..] tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason IFPs turn to archetypal imagery ---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I almost forgot there was a whole segment in her book about this. One thing Lenore Thomson mentions is that IFPs actually do gravitate towards fantasy (and made no distinction with S or N). There is Fi sentiment and idealism there. Even Elvis was a comic book geek (that's where he got his hair from..his favorite character, Captain Marvel). Same with Gwen Stefani, who gets a lot of her ideas from anime (and calls herself "Nerd Central" heh).

IFPs feel [..] tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason IFPs turn to archetypal imagery ---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was young. Anyone read those? Turn to page 131 if Yes. Page 56 if No.
    Yes! I collected those books when I was young. Loved them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    However, for me, fantasy and science fiction are amongst my favorite genres.
    Yes. I'm into entertainment to ENTERTAIN ME. Reality is great, and is often more amusing than fiction, but science fiction is a great vehicle for entertaining folks, IMO.

I'm actually sort of bored with anything that's too realistic. How do you other SP's feel about fantasy and science fiction?
    Yes again. Too realistic can be damn boring. What's the point? You might as well just walk out of the theater and look around on the street.

When I was a kid I loved the Narnia books, The Lord of the Rings, the Terry Brooks "Shanarrah" series, and some Sci-Fi like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One pangalactic-gargleblaster please.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was young. Anyone read those? Turn to page 131 if Yes. Page 56 if No.
    Hahaha... I liked those, but somehow I would always die at the end. I would always choose the path that lead toward death.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ISTP

All this talk of Sci Fi has me rewatching BSG!! I put the miniseries on this weekend and watched the first episode last night. Yum.

One of my friends-ish gave me a gift card to BestBuy for watching his dog for a weekend, and I didn't know what I wanted for a couple of months. Last night I was in there and realized I didn't have season 4.5 (prolly 'cause the end sucked, lol). So I got it!! YAAAAAAAAAAY! I'll just pretend the ending is different than it really is.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Yes. I'm into entertainment to ENTERTAIN ME. Reality is great, and is often more amusing than fiction, but science fiction is a great vehicle for entertaining folks, IMO.

Yes again. Too realistic can be damn boring. What's the point? You might as well just walk out of the theater and look around on the street.

When I was a kid I loved the Narnia books, The Lord of the Rings, the Terry Brooks "Shanarrah" series, and some Sci-Fi like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One pangalactic-gargleblaster please.
    Strangely enough, however, some don't enjoy it. I started this thread because of an ISTP roommate of mine that despises anything imaginative, fantasy oriented, or science fiction like. It's incredibly bizarre to me. Tv show wise, he loves Mythbusters and Friends... and movie wise, he's more into historical dramas or documentaries. Which is cool, I dig that stuff too. I just prefer something more out of this world. And I think it's like wolfy, or quinlin, or kdude mentioned earlier... for me, a lot of it strikes some ideology's for me. Being weak in Te, it's always hard for me to explain... but I know I feel it when I watch/read it.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Strangely enough, however, some don't enjoy it. I started this thread because of an ISTP roommate of mine that despises anything imaginative, fantasy oriented, or science fiction like. It's incredibly bizarre to me. Tv show wise, he loves Mythbusters and Friends... and movie wise, he's more into historical dramas or documentaries. Which is cool, I dig that stuff too. I just prefer something more out of this world.
    The most boring thing I have ever seen in my life is reality television.

Why would I want to watch some half-wits bumble around a set making asses of themselves? :rolli:

One thing about sci-fi I've always liked is that despite the differences in the beings and universe of the story's setting, there is usually one or more good parallels to phenomena in our world utilized as part of the plot in the movie. Kind of like Aesop's Fables, but with aliens, starships, and mythical creatures.

And I think it's like wolfy, or quinlin, or kdude mentioned earlier... for me, a lot of it strikes some ideology's for me. Being weak in Te, it's always hard for me to explain... but I know I feel it when I watch/read it.
    Yes, I hear you on that.

It's entertainment, and it has the capacity to teach a lesson or two here or there as well. That's a good thing in my book.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The most boring thing I have ever seen in my life is reality television.
    +345198034597130945190346981005610394569134659^inf inity!
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%