• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Thoughts, Feelings, and Emotions.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I've been thinking about this dynamic alot. How I don't really trust my "feelings". I can feel a certain way but understand rationally I may have no real reason to feel that way. Like perceiving a slight were none was intended just because it felt that way or I think someone "should" act in XYZ manner.

Conversely I am wary of letting a feeling lead to engendering a thought that may or may not be true, but I feel that way so I act that way and make it true i.e. Othello when Iago played on his jealousy, or King Lear deciding his estate.

Yet if I think something I find valid, I can feel a way about the idea. If that makes any sense. I can be passionate about defending a good idea. I believe any notion that can't withstand scrutiny isn't worth holding.

Thoughts?

KDude

I'm a bit of the other way around. More feeling, but have learned to step back a little more and think. There are some things I'm just... fairly confident about and don't question as much. I guess these fall in the realm of higher ideals and all that. If you have anything like that, then just roll with it, man. Otherwise, it's probably a good thing to examine typical feelings.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
You ever been upset about something, knowing there was no good reason to feel that way, but that's how you felt? Wake up the next day and be over it. *shudders*

KDude

Yeah.. Actually, I think SP (or maybe just SFP) is pretty typical of this.. have these outbursts. Next minute we're like "Cool.."

There is one ISTP description that talks about "classic SP rage", but I've never found more about it in detail..

But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode).

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode).

I get all "it's the principal involved" and go to war. :yes:

KDude

There's probably another thing about "Se" and "P" that makes us decisive to just act out like that. I mean, you gotta admit... it's immediately effective.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
There's probably another thing about "Se" and "P" that makes us decisive to just act out like that. I mean, you gotta admit... it's immediately effective.

*Grudgingly admits it*

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm a bit of the other way around. More feeling, but have learned to step back a little more and think. There are some things I'm just... fairly confident about and don't question as much. I guess these fall in the realm of higher ideals and all that. If you have anything like that, then just roll with it, man. Otherwise, it's probably a good thing to examine typical feelings.

I tend to be this way as well. However I have been learning to question my percieved thoughts and feelings. I am even been questioning my cherished beliefs, the one you act out on because it feels right without knowing why. I think confusion happens when we think and feel that things should be a certain way without questioning them when reality is what it is.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah.. Actually, I think SP (or maybe just SFP) is pretty typical of this.. have these outbursts. Next minute we're like "Cool.."

There is one ISTP description that talks about "classic SP rage", but I've never found more about it in detail..

oh, the SP rage :blush:

An SP rage can move mountains! :yes:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I know that you're all terrified and that you're headed to your hiding spots right now!!)

oh, the SP rage :blush:

An SP rage can move mountains! :yes:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been thinking about this dynamic alot. How I don't really trust my "feelings". I can feel a certain way but understand rationally I may have no real reason to feel that way. Like perceiving a slight were none was intended just because it felt that way or I think someone "should" act in XYZ manner.

Conversely I am wary of letting a feeling lead to engendering a thought that may or may not be true, but I feel that way so I act that way and make it true i.e. Othello when Iago played on his jealousy, or King Lear deciding his estate.

Yet if I think something I find valid, I can feel a way about the idea. If that makes any sense. I can be passionate about defending a good idea. I believe any notion that can't withstand scrutiny isn't worth holding.

Thoughts?

You sound like a perfectly normal logical thinker. :) The older I get the more I don't try to ignore feeling things like I used too. However, a feeling is still filtered through logic before I decide to or how react to it. I no longer use that filter to deem a feeling valid for consideration. If I'm feeling it - it's considered. That might sound like a small discrepancy but it was a big lesson for me to learn.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
You sound like a perfectly normal logical thinker. :) The older I get the more I don't try to ignore feeling things like I used too. However, a feeling is still filtered through logic before I decide to or how react to it. I no longer use that filter to deem a feeling valid for consideration. If I'm feeling it - it's considered. That might sound like a small discrepancy but it was a big lesson for me to learn.

Haven't quite reached that point. I'm still @ "I'm feeling it. Why?! It makes no sense!"

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It might help to think of feelings as what they are - nonsensical. There's a bit of freedom in that line of thinking because you can let it ride. I mean, things are what they are, you know? Can't change the nature of it so it's easier to accept it.

I still don't react to most of what I feel. Most of it simply is passing emotions. I can let a lot of things go but sometimes I get this "enough is enough" mode and let someone have it but at that point I figure something along these lines: "I've been very patient with your BS - have already warned you about it - now you're gonna get my :steam: without any remorse from me." I don't know if you're like that or not but I think that's why a lot of IxTP's can "blow up" suddenly. Er...or it just looks 'suddenly'.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I waver between keeping controlled and completely cracking occasionally :doh:

When I was younger I had complete control over any reaction that I had to anything... and could play it perfectly. I don't think that aging suits me well :dry:

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It might help to think of feelings as what they are - nonsensical. There's a bit of freedom in that line of thinking because you can let it ride. I mean, things are what they are, you know? Can't change the nature of it so it's easier to accept it.....

:yes: Wise words indeed. Same goes for our thoughts as well.