User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    I've been thinking about this dynamic alot. How I don't really trust my "feelings". I can feel a certain way but understand rationally I may have no real reason to feel that way. Like perceiving a slight were none was intended just because it felt that way or I think someone "should" act in XYZ manner.

Conversely I am wary of letting a feeling lead to engendering a thought that may or may not be true, but I feel that way so I act that way and make it true i.e. Othello when Iago played on his jealousy, or King Lear deciding his estate.

Yet if I think something I find valid, I can feel a way about the idea. If that makes any sense. I can be passionate about defending a good idea. I believe any notion that can't withstand scrutiny isn't worth holding.

Thoughts?
    You sound like a perfectly normal logical thinker. The older I get the more I don't try to ignore feeling things like I used too. However, a feeling is still filtered through logic before I decide to or how react to it. I no longer use that filter to deem a feeling valid for consideration. If I'm feeling it - it's considered. That might sound like a small discrepancy but it was a big lesson for me to learn.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    You sound like a perfectly normal logical thinker. The older I get the more I don't try to ignore feeling things like I used too. However, a feeling is still filtered through logic before I decide to or how react to it. I no longer use that filter to deem a feeling valid for consideration. If I'm feeling it - it's considered. That might sound like a small discrepancy but it was a big lesson for me to learn.
    Haven't quite reached that point. I'm still @ "I'm feeling it. Why?! It makes no sense!"
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It might help to think of feelings as what they are - nonsensical. There's a bit of freedom in that line of thinking because you can let it ride. I mean, things are what they are, you know? Can't change the nature of it so it's easier to accept it.

I still don't react to most of what I feel. Most of it simply is passing emotions. I can let a lot of things go but sometimes I get this "enough is enough" mode and let someone have it but at that point I figure something along these lines: "I've been very patient with your BS - have already warned you about it - now you're gonna get my :steam: without any remorse from me." I don't know if you're like that or not but I think that's why a lot of IxTP's can "blow up" suddenly. Er...or it just looks 'suddenly'.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I waver between keeping controlled and completely cracking occasionally

When I was younger I had complete control over any reaction that I had to anything... and could play it perfectly. I don't think that aging suits me well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It might help to think of feelings as what they are - nonsensical. There's a bit of freedom in that line of thinking because you can let it ride. I mean, things are what they are, you know? Can't change the nature of it so it's easier to accept it.....
    Wise words indeed. Same goes for our thoughts as well.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Haven't quite reached that point. I'm still @ "I'm feeling it. Why?! It makes no sense!"
    Because there is some sort of payoff for you to believe what you feel or think.