• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are all of you SPs good with your hands and have mechanical skills?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's weird is that I'm quite coordinated and athletic. I surf, snowboard, skydive, all that stuff.

But how can I learn to do stuff like repair bikes, cars, etc. Any ideas?

My cooking skills are even worse. In fact, I imagine that my "macaroni and cheese sludge crunch" (mac and cheese is NOT supposed to crunch...) would make an inexpensive substitute for a lethal injection for the judicial system... :devil:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I learned to repair my bicycle by looking at it... what made sense? :laugh:

I cook most awesomely though... but that's because food is awesome and I'm deeply in love with it :wubbie:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love your username. Just needed to say that. Thank you, Goodbye. :smile:

edit: haha. yours too, Whatevs. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I put my new office chair together today ALL BY MYSELF. :cheese:

In general, I suck at mechanical stuff, though.

I am good at using my hands for...some stuff, though. :cool:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I say start with small stuff. Changing tires, oil and brakes. Those are easy and simple. There is a ton of great DIY online resources and tutorials that can teach you what you need and how it's done.

I forget who said it - garage sales are a good place to buy broken stuff. See if you can fix it or get it running. And if you don't hey - it was junk anyway.

If you know of someone who is mechanically inclined or knowledgeable tell them of your curiosity. They will usually offer to have you come over and watch or join them on their next project. Be nice and bring beer. ;)

If you're a female I doubt they are going to say no to you anyway. :devil:

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
What's weird is that I'm quite coordinated and athletic. I surf, snowboard, skydive, all that stuff.

My cooking skills are even worse. In fact, I imagine that my "macaroni and cheese sludge crunch" (mac and cheese is NOT supposed to crunch...) would make an inexpensive substitute for a lethal injection for the judicial system... :devil:

There is a fine line between Snowbaording and fixing a car, I'd say... All that (surfing, etc) is thrilling, and fixing things and working with your hands is not thrilling, just satisfying and I'm sure not everybody would view it as such, maybe more of a chore.

But first thing is first. In order to fix things you need the tools for the job, what do you have in the way of tools?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is a fine line between Snowbaording and fixing a car, I'd say... All that (surfing, etc) is thrilling, and fixing things and working with your hands is not thrilling, just satisfying and I'm sure not everybody would view it as such, maybe more of a chore.

But first thing is first. In order to fix things you need the tools for the job, what do you have in the way of tools?

Let's seeee... board wax. Political bumper stickers. And a flashlight.

LOL when I say I know nothing and do nothing about mechanical/diy stuff, I mean it.

My father's toolbox: The Yellow Pages.

It's not so much that there's anything specific I need to fix, I'm just wondering if there's a way I can improve my "common sense"/spatial skills in general. Does it have anything to do with the fact I'm left-handed?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm completely USELESS with my hands. I don't know any of the different components and parts/functions/arrangements of car engines. I've never built a model airplane. I even suck on those IQ test things where you have to fill in the pattern diagrams. :steam:

It's not necessarily just because I'm female. My ISTP chick friend can fly a plane. My INFP male friend, however, is worse than I am. He barely knows what to do with a set of Legos. Have him screw a lightbulb, and he just sits there gawking at the lightbulb like he wants to cry. My INFP father is the same way.
I dunno about that... I'm pretty certain I'm ENFP and I adored Legos when I was a kid.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't mean "good with your hands" in THAT way... keep that mind of yours in PG for now.

Anyway, this is the only reason I know I'm an ENTP and not ESTP. (Of course, I know Ns that kick ass at building/fixing things, and Ss that suck ass at it. But let's generalize for the sake of simplicity.)

I'm completely USELESS with my hands. I don't know any of the different components and parts/functions/arrangements of car engines. I've never built a model airplane. I even suck on those IQ test things where you have to fill in the pattern diagrams. :steam:

It's not necessarily just because I'm female. My ISTP chick friend can fly a plane. My INFP male friend, however, is worse than I am. He barely knows what to do with a set of Legos. Have him screw a lightbulb, and he just sits there gawking at the lightbulb like he wants to cry. My INFP father is the same way.

I didn't grow up with anyone who was good at that kind of thing. Were you SPs taught about mechanical things, or were you just BORN knowing how to change a tire? :shock:

Yes...I am generally good at fixing things w/ my hands so long as you give me some time alone to think and tinker around with it. Also, changing a tire isn't hard lol...

KDude

I'm pretty good at mechanical things, but it's not really something I gravitate towards. Generally have no probs with handywork tho, or basic car stuff. Heh I think I first learned woodworking and stuff from building skateboard ramps (plus, my mom used to have a arts and crafts biz where she used a lot of wood). I learned to mod guitars to get more potential out of them (and in the process picked up some electronic and soldering skills). Pretty good with computers too..more than I care to admit. Like I started off yrs ago trying to turn a piece of shit machine into a decent workstation. From there, I learned how to compile and flag optimizations from source files, learned how to read makefiles and unix shell commands...never made much use of this knowledge, but whatever. With "bikes", when I was a kid, if tires blew, chain broke or whatever, I remember getting help with things like that, but wanting to get my hands involved and shown what to do. Whenever the problem came again, I did things myself...sometimes frustratingly, but that's kind of how you learn.. you have to experience a little desperation to want to push through..then you get past the learning curve, and you're automatic anytime afterwards.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Let's seeee... board wax. Political bumper stickers. And a flashlight.

LOL when I say I know nothing and do nothing about mechanical/diy stuff, I mean it.

My father's toolbox: The Yellow Pages.

It's not so much that there's anything specific I need to fix, I'm just wondering if there's a way I can improve my "common sense"/spatial skills in general. Does it have anything to do with the fact I'm left-handed?

I don't think being southpaw has anything to do with ability. The 'mechanic sense' doesn't seem to me like something anyone here could teach you. You learn by trial and error over your lifetime. The only reason I have the tools and knowledge I do is out of necessity.

For instance, I come home one day and find my hotwater tank is pouring ice-cold water out into the garage. I googled 'Common hot water tank problems' and learned that I probably had a broken overflow valve on the top of the tank. I had to buy a crescent wrench because none of my wrenches were big enough and teflon tape to seal the threads. Naturally you have to shut the water off into the hot water tank. Finally you replace the bad valve and PRESTO. I saved myself a house call and service charge from a plumber, and who knows what else he would have charged me for.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't mean "good with your hands" in THAT way... keep that mind of yours in PG for now.
That in and of itself proves that you are not well-acquainted with the SP temperament. ;) :rofl1:

I'm more of an artist. I'd say I'm moderate when it comes to mechanics, at least if we're talking about oldschool types of mechanics. I'm pretty damn good at technology. My girlfriend (ISFJ) and her mom (ISFP) couldn't figure out a pedometer for the life of them and though I'd never messed with one in my life I figured it out right away.

I've also been known to randomly remote login to servers at work and find ways to operate my computer with my phone. :D :rofl1: I'm their go-to technogeek there, even though I think I'm only moderate in skill, but maybe I'm comparing myself to people who know a hell of a lot (my ENTP friend has mad computer skillz).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I'm pretty old school with my skills... home repair, bicycle repair... I took carpentry and metal working instead of home ec even... and I'm pretty good at the carpentry part, especially finishing and stripping wood (bwa ha ha ha... I'm good at stripping! :devil:)

I'm not artistically inclined in the least though (I like art, I really suck at art :sadbanana:) and I don't really like messing around with electronics if I can avoid doing so...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long back as I can remember I have always taken things aprt to see how they work. Used to help my dad alot fixing cars, doing things around the house. Now its just a part of who I am and an accumulation of knowledge over time. I am really good at applying my knowledge from one thing to another and I will never pass up an opportunity to completely strip something down so I can figure out how it works or help someone build something. I enjoy both the physical aspect of doing these things along with gaining the knowledge of how everything works.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That in and of itself proves that you are not well-acquainted with the SP temperament. ;) :rofl1:

I'm more of an artist. I'd say I'm moderate when it comes to mechanics, at least if we're talking about oldschool types of mechanics. I'm pretty damn good at technology. My girlfriend (ISFJ) and her mom (ISFP) couldn't figure out a pedometer for the life of them and though I'd never messed with one in my life I figured it out right away.

I've also been known to randomly remote login to servers at work and find ways to operate my computer with my phone. :D :rofl1: I'm their go-to technogeek there, even though I think I'm only moderate in skill, but maybe I'm comparing myself to people who know a hell of a lot (my ENTP friend has mad computer skillz).

On the contrary, I KNOW how you guys are, so the warning was necessary. :devil:

I must say, I'm great with technology. Computers, phones, etc.

I grew up in an upper class household in a metropolitan city. I've never even WATCHED anyone change a tire or fix their bicycle. All the people I know simply call a professional. Mechanical tasks LOOK hard, from what I see briefly on TV. I've never tried it myself.

It just seems like something I'd blow balls at. (Ok, ok I broke my own PG rule...)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What Willfrey said was the other point I missed. You are at least as good as your tools. Screwdrivers, wrenches and a basic rachet/socket set should be the basics to start most things. Although even the "basics" can be expensive. :dry:

Find someone who you know who has tools you can borrow or come over and use before you invest.

I find I'm the opposite of you. I dislike technology. Phones and computers and...ugh. I lose patience quickly if I can't "see" what's going on but that doesn't mean I can't understand them with practice, you know? Some things take longer than others to catch up on. Doesn't mean you can't do it.

KDude

I think I used to fix bikes with mostly just a pair of pliers :D (granted, the bolts would often strip after awhile)

Replacing a tube is nothing. Unbolt the tire, if it's not completely flat then take the cap off and deflate, might have to dig on the edges, but the tire comes off fairly easily.. Take out old tube, put in a new one inside the lining of the tire... when putting them both back on a wheel, just align the nozzle from the tube with the metal hole near your spokes.

Pump it up. Bolt it back on. Done

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Having good mechanical skills, as in being good with ur hands, is cool, but without a doubt best pursued WITH a woman :D