User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I'm pretty good at mechanical things, but it's not really something I gravitate towards. Generally have no probs with handywork tho, or basic car stuff. Heh I think I first learned woodworking and stuff from building skateboard ramps (plus, my mom used to have a arts and crafts biz where she used a lot of wood). I learned to mod guitars to get more potential out of them (and in the process picked up some electronic and soldering skills). Pretty good with computers too..more than I care to admit. Like I started off yrs ago trying to turn a piece of shit machine into a decent workstation. From there, I learned how to compile and flag optimizations from source files, learned how to read makefiles and unix shell commands...never made much use of this knowledge, but whatever. With "bikes", when I was a kid, if tires blew, chain broke or whatever, I remember getting help with things like that, but wanting to get my hands involved and shown what to do. Whenever the problem came again, I did things myself...sometimes frustratingly, but that's kind of how you learn.. you have to experience a little desperation to want to push through..then you get past the learning curve, and you're automatic anytime afterwards.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Let's seeee... board wax. Political bumper stickers. And a flashlight.

LOL when I say I know nothing and do nothing about mechanical/diy stuff, I mean it.

My father's toolbox: The Yellow Pages.

It's not so much that there's anything specific I need to fix, I'm just wondering if there's a way I can improve my "common sense"/spatial skills in general. Does it have anything to do with the fact I'm left-handed?
    I don't think being southpaw has anything to do with ability. The 'mechanic sense' doesn't seem to me like something anyone here could teach you. You learn by trial and error over your lifetime. The only reason I have the tools and knowledge I do is out of necessity.

For instance, I come home one day and find my hotwater tank is pouring ice-cold water out into the garage. I googled 'Common hot water tank problems' and learned that I probably had a broken overflow valve on the top of the tank. I had to buy a crescent wrench because none of my wrenches were big enough and teflon tape to seal the threads. Naturally you have to shut the water off into the hot water tank. Finally you replace the bad valve and PRESTO. I saved myself a house call and service charge from a plumber, and who knows what else he would have charged me for.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

I'm lefthanded.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I don't mean "good with your hands" in THAT way... keep that mind of yours in PG for now.
    That in and of itself proves that you are not well-acquainted with the SP temperament.

I'm more of an artist. I'd say I'm moderate when it comes to mechanics, at least if we're talking about oldschool types of mechanics. I'm pretty damn good at technology. My girlfriend (ISFJ) and her mom (ISFP) couldn't figure out a pedometer for the life of them and though I'd never messed with one in my life I figured it out right away.

I've also been known to randomly remote login to servers at work and find ways to operate my computer with my phone. I'm their go-to technogeek there, even though I think I'm only moderate in skill, but maybe I'm comparing myself to people who know a hell of a lot (my ENTP friend has mad computer skillz).
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm pretty old school with my skills... home repair, bicycle repair... I took carpentry and metal working instead of home ec even... and I'm pretty good at the carpentry part, especially finishing and stripping wood (bwa ha ha ha... I'm good at stripping! )

I'm not artistically inclined in the least though (I like art, I really suck at art ) and I don't really like messing around with electronics if I can avoid doing so...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

As long back as I can remember I have always taken things aprt to see how they work. Used to help my dad alot fixing cars, doing things around the house. Now its just a part of who I am and an accumulation of knowledge over time. I am really good at applying my knowledge from one thing to another and I will never pass up an opportunity to completely strip something down so I can figure out how it works or help someone build something. I enjoy both the physical aspect of doing these things along with gaining the knowledge of how everything works.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    That in and of itself proves that you are not well-acquainted with the SP temperament.

I'm more of an artist. I'd say I'm moderate when it comes to mechanics, at least if we're talking about oldschool types of mechanics. I'm pretty damn good at technology. My girlfriend (ISFJ) and her mom (ISFP) couldn't figure out a pedometer for the life of them and though I'd never messed with one in my life I figured it out right away.

I've also been known to randomly remote login to servers at work and find ways to operate my computer with my phone. I'm their go-to technogeek there, even though I think I'm only moderate in skill, but maybe I'm comparing myself to people who know a hell of a lot (my ENTP friend has mad computer skillz).
    On the contrary, I KNOW how you guys are, so the warning was necessary.

I must say, I'm great with technology. Computers, phones, etc.

I grew up in an upper class household in a metropolitan city. I've never even WATCHED anyone change a tire or fix their bicycle. All the people I know simply call a professional. Mechanical tasks LOOK hard, from what I see briefly on TV. I've never tried it myself.

It just seems like something I'd blow balls at. (Ok, ok I broke my own PG rule...)
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

What Willfrey said was the other point I missed. You are at least as good as your tools. Screwdrivers, wrenches and a basic rachet/socket set should be the basics to start most things. Although even the "basics" can be expensive.

Find someone who you know who has tools you can borrow or come over and use before you invest.

I find I'm the opposite of you. I dislike technology. Phones and computers and...ugh. I lose patience quickly if I can't "see" what's going on but that doesn't mean I can't understand them with practice, you know? Some things take longer than others to catch up on. Doesn't mean you can't do it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

I think I used to fix bikes with mostly just a pair of pliers (granted, the bolts would often strip after awhile)

Replacing a tube is nothing. Unbolt the tire, if it's not completely flat then take the cap off and deflate, might have to dig on the edges, but the tire comes off fairly easily.. Take out old tube, put in a new one inside the lining of the tire... when putting them both back on a wheel, just align the nozzle from the tube with the metal hole near your spokes.

Pump it up. Bolt it back on. Done

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Having good mechanical skills, as in being good with ur hands, is cool, but without a doubt best pursued WITH a woman
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]