User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Default SPs, do you have any advice for an NF on how to better enjoy the "now"?

As an INFP, I find myself daydreaming very often rather than just appreciating what is actually going on at the time.

Any tips on how to better live in the moment and appreciate the present?

I'd love to better develop my sensing side, as well as learn how to better see from and understand my Sensor friends' perspectives.
    Last edited by TheEmeraldCanopy; 06-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The moment you are aware that you're daydreaming. Stop and ask yourself what you are touching, seeing, tasting, hearing and smelling. Savor it. Just take it in.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

couldn't tell ya... cause i'm a bit sporadic. one moment i'm at home daydreaming and then next i suddenly burst out of my chair and take off like the wind.

sometimes... when i'm at home or even someone else's home... i just sort of look around a lot. i don't necessarily "note" what i'm looking at. i just sort of have this sense of what needs to go where, and what colors work well together, and where placing of items or furniture should be. so i always want to decorate or move things around for people. i have a natural knack for interior decorating which my friends who visit always compliment me for. when i'm outside, i just sort of watch the clouds move. i don't think about what why the clouds are there, or the cycle of water or any of that stuff... but rather watch the wind carry it along. notice the smoothness and the lines and the shadows. i really enjoy watching clouds on a windy/cloudy day or night. it's incredibly relaxing. i sometimes just look at objects and notice lines and shadows, tracing it over and over with my eyes. which often gives me the urge to draw it. on beautiful summer days, i can't help but take in all the green. something about the intensity of nature's colors just overwhelm me. it sounds silly, and no i don't cry about it. but it definitely fills me and puts a smile on my face. if i'm walking down a street, i take in the smells of flowers or food being carried in the air. or the coolness of the wind. when i'm hanging out with friends, i can be pretty quiet... and often times i set myself outside of the current conversation or whatever is happening and just think to myself... this is great. if this isn't what life is about, then i don't know what is.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

When you take a walk, bring a camera with you and take pictures! You have to look at your environment if you're going to get the best shots!!!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think you're better off enjoying who you are than trying to be more like someone else.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you'll never change that part of you that's compelled to daydream, but you CAN work on your Se some so that you actually get more pleasure out of the things that surround you in the present!

Try this... next time you're out in the back yard or a park just flop on the grass... feel the breeze on your face and the heat of the sun, notice how the grass feels- is it prickly and dry or cool and pliant? Close your eyes for a moment and listen... what do you hear? are there children playing, birds singing, cars going by in the distance, an airplane overhead... what's going on around you that you can perceive with your ears alone? and then breathe in... do you smell the grass? is someone grilling? how about the dirt... can you smell it?

Just work on noticing things and appreciating them... take little steps and it will get easier. It isn't as natural for you, but you can learn to do it better
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Something I have noticed in alot of my NF friends is the tendency for things to never quite be "good enough" and I have wondered at times if that is the genesis of them being "out in space" (aka daydreaming).

I think there is alot to be said for people being able to improve their outlook on life via planning, implementing, and finishing simple objectives.

For instance, plan to build a garden. Pick a small patch of your yard where there's good sunlight. Take the "BEFORE" picture. Take a spade (shovel) and dig out the perimeter shape of the garden's shape. Then dig out the interior. Go to Home Depot or Wal Mart and buy a few bags of Top Soil, Organic Mushroom Compost, and a bag of Cow Manure, each of whcih as about $2. Then buy whatever plants you wish to grow, or flowers, or both, again all of these are usually under $2. For about $50 you can buy the kit for a great little garden. Go home and plant that stuff, water it, and take an "AFTER" picture. VOILA!!! You now have a garden!

Why does this help being in the here and now? You planned something. You went out and made it happen. That it the complete opposite of daydreaming!

Also, it gives you an opportunity to keep in the here and now as you get to water the plants each morning, and then watch them grow, and then eat them! (Or put them in a vase if you decided on a flower garden).

Here's photos of a butterfly garden I put in at the fronty of my house with my daughter, when she was recovering from a sickness earlier this year, and needed something to do to keep her mind off things:

Here's a bed of random plants I planted in my backyard to jazz it up a bit. There are lillies, a small azalea bush, caladiums, ferns, and some other random flowering plants I bought:

Give it a shot, it's fun!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

i was totally going to ask them this question too!!! just yesterday. well, actually, i was going to phrase mine more like 'how do you suggest NFs and NTs have more fun'

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    i was totally going to ask them this question too!!! just yesterday. well, actually, i was going to phrase mine more like 'how do you suggest NFs and NTs have more fun'
    once upon a time I made this post to address that issue...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

paint something!

paint the walls, the floors, the furniture, or maybe dye your hair. Get some new makeup. Or earrings. Color color color

This is what I do, at least, when I've sat around for a while and I'm tired of daydreaming.