• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] SPs, do you have any advice for an NF on how to better enjoy the "now"?

KDude

I would also suggest visiting your local botanical garden. On a date or with just a friend. Pretty ultra sensory place.. and beautiful, and too loud for Ne to drown out (or even a good experience for Ne too, who knows), and too harmless for Fi :cool: I think anyone could enjoy it for awhile. I would like to suggest something more active, but passive "sensory reception" is good too.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is what confuses me, how is it hard? I was at my grandparents house the other day and was tired of the busy and the people so I went out to the garage layed on the cool concrete with the door open and just layed their looking at the sky listening to the things around me I do get lost in thought at times, but I am always pulled back into the breeze, the sounds, etc. Just relaxing.

Find someone you like to talk to, not intense, just in a relaxing way, find a shade tree with grass and lay their observing everything around you while you talk.

It's hard in the sense that my Ne is always active and likes to sidetrack my brain while doing this. So instead of focusing 100% on my surroundings I'm partially distracted by the inner dialogue going on in my head. So it takes effort to block this out and just relax. Totally relax and take everything in.

I think it would be the same as you trying to block out the breeze, the sounds etc. and just stay lost in your thoughts. You naturally are drawn to your surroundings, while I'm naturally drawn to my thoughts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard in the sense that my Ne is always active and likes to sidetrack my brain while doing this. So instead of focusing 100% on my surroundings I'm partially distracted by the inner dialogue going on in my head. So it takes effort to block this out and just relax. Totally relax and take everything in.

I think it would be the same as you trying to block out the breeze, the sounds etc. and just stay lost in your thoughts. You naturally are drawn to your surroundings, while I'm naturally drawn to my thoughts.
it is really hard for me to believe that others are not constantly lost in thought as well....is that just an assumption or is it true? i would very much like to be able to turn that off.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ Yes.

Se: more casual uhm interactions, jumping off things, jumping into things, boats/RVs/canoes/etc, drinking, smoking...stuff like that. i am missing out, not because I don't want to try those things, but I don't really have a Se close friend, except an ex and I don't want to 'explore new stuff' with him.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
using Se is so natural to me... it's the function from which I derive the greatest joy :cry:

in my experience, just tuning yourself in to what you're feeling (used in a sensory manner there, not in a squishy emotional manner!) is a good start... you may have to do so consciously, but it'll give you a taste there :)

KDude

really my suggestion is probably no good. one doesn't just need "loud" sensory surroundings to drown out Ne, but actually...maybe some risk. not necessarily danger, but a requirement to really perform well. practice riding a bike more, go dancing.. whatever it is, make sure it is not a regular activity that you could just stop and quit.. but something that would make you look bad if you screw up. :D practice it more and you'll get good at it. and that same awareness will probably transfer in a general way.

just my 2c

edit: and yes, i can get lost in thought sometimes.. but it's usually when i'm not doing stuff for long periods of time and stuck in that mode. i just need to get back in the groove a bit and i'm back

oh, and neither way is better or worse. just want to say that :)

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
it is really hard for me to believe that others are not constantly lost in thought as well....is that just an assumption or is it true? i would very much like to be able to turn that off.

yeah, it is pretty weird- it is really hard for me to imagine what it's like to have such an active mind!
i like the simplicity of my mind, but i get floored and amazed a lot by people with very quick and sharp active minds. :nice:

i think you really hit on something! "living in the moment" works real well for me and i like it - but when i see someone in their element with their thoughts, that is an amazing thing to behold. it is real humbling for someone like me, i think.

so even though i always advocate living in the moment and simplicity of mind, i think it is a lot better to play to your strengths and be true to yourself.

really my suggestion is probably no good. one doesn't just need "loud" sensory surroundings to drown out Ne, but actually...maybe some risk. not necessarily danger, but a requirement to really perform well. practice riding a bike more, go dancing.. whatever it is, make sure it is not a regular activity that you could just stop and quit.. but something that would make you look bad if you screw up. :D practice it more and you'll get good at it. and that same awareness will probably transfer in a general way.

just my 2c

i think it is a great suggestion!
getting out of your comfort zone, putting yourself in unfamiliar situations++ that is how you stimulate real explosive changes in yourself. i love it because it so visceral and instinctual.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Your talking to a dom Ti. I can easily get lost in my thoughts...end up at work...not remembering the drive.