User Tag List

First 123

I would also suggest visiting your local botanical garden. On a date or with just a friend. Pretty ultra sensory place.. and beautiful, and too loud for Ne to drown out (or even a good experience for Ne too, who knows), and too harmless for Fi I think anyone could enjoy it for awhile. I would like to suggest something more active, but passive "sensory reception" is good too.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    This is what confuses me, how is it hard? I was at my grandparents house the other day and was tired of the busy and the people so I went out to the garage layed on the cool concrete with the door open and just layed their looking at the sky listening to the things around me I do get lost in thought at times, but I am always pulled back into the breeze, the sounds, etc. Just relaxing.

Find someone you like to talk to, not intense, just in a relaxing way, find a shade tree with grass and lay their observing everything around you while you talk.
    It's hard in the sense that my Ne is always active and likes to sidetrack my brain while doing this. So instead of focusing 100% on my surroundings I'm partially distracted by the inner dialogue going on in my head. So it takes effort to block this out and just relax. Totally relax and take everything in.

I think it would be the same as you trying to block out the breeze, the sounds etc. and just stay lost in your thoughts. You naturally are drawn to your surroundings, while I'm naturally drawn to my thoughts.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Clonester View Post
    It's hard in the sense that my Ne is always active and likes to sidetrack my brain while doing this. So instead of focusing 100% on my surroundings I'm partially distracted by the inner dialogue going on in my head. So it takes effort to block this out and just relax. Totally relax and take everything in.

I think it would be the same as you trying to block out the breeze, the sounds etc. and just stay lost in your thoughts. You naturally are drawn to your surroundings, while I'm naturally drawn to my thoughts.
    it is really hard for me to believe that others are not constantly lost in thought as well....is that just an assumption or is it true? i would very much like to be able to turn that off.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ Yes.

Se: more casual uhm interactions, jumping off things, jumping into things, boats/RVs/canoes/etc, drinking, smoking...stuff like that. i am missing out, not because I don't want to try those things, but I don't really have a Se close friend, except an ex and I don't want to 'explore new stuff' with him.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

using Se is so natural to me... it's the function from which I derive the greatest joy

in my experience, just tuning yourself in to what you're feeling (used in a sensory manner there, not in a squishy emotional manner!) is a good start... you may have to do so consciously, but it'll give you a taste there
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

really my suggestion is probably no good. one doesn't just need "loud" sensory surroundings to drown out Ne, but actually...maybe some risk. not necessarily danger, but a requirement to really perform well. practice riding a bike more, go dancing.. whatever it is, make sure it is not a regular activity that you could just stop and quit.. but something that would make you look bad if you screw up. practice it more and you'll get good at it. and that same awareness will probably transfer in a general way.

just my 2c

edit: and yes, i can get lost in thought sometimes.. but it's usually when i'm not doing stuff for long periods of time and stuck in that mode. i just need to get back in the groove a bit and i'm back

oh, and neither way is better or worse. just want to say that

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it is really hard for me to believe that others are not constantly lost in thought as well....is that just an assumption or is it true? i would very much like to be able to turn that off.
    yeah, it is pretty weird- it is really hard for me to imagine what it's like to have such an active mind!
    i like the simplicity of my mind, but i get floored and amazed a lot by people with very quick and sharp active minds.

i think you really hit on something! "living in the moment" works real well for me and i like it - but when i see someone in their element with their thoughts, that is an amazing thing to behold. it is real humbling for someone like me, i think.

so even though i always advocate living in the moment and simplicity of mind, i think it is a lot better to play to your strengths and be true to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    really my suggestion is probably no good. one doesn't just need "loud" sensory surroundings to drown out Ne, but actually...maybe some risk. not necessarily danger, but a requirement to really perform well. practice riding a bike more, go dancing.. whatever it is, make sure it is not a regular activity that you could just stop and quit.. but something that would make you look bad if you screw up. practice it more and you'll get good at it. and that same awareness will probably transfer in a general way.

just my 2c
    i think it is a great suggestion!
    getting out of your comfort zone, putting yourself in unfamiliar situations++ that is how you stimulate real explosive changes in yourself. i love it because it so visceral and instinctual.

MBTI
    STP

Your talking to a dom Ti. I can easily get lost in my thoughts...end up at work...not remembering the drive.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Captain_Invincible liked this post