• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and Openness to Experience

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Openness to Experience on the five factor model of personality has usually been correlated with iNtuition on MBTI. It has especially been correlated with NPs, but some of the sub-traits on Openness could equally fit SPs in my mind.

Here are some of the sub-traits.

Openness to Experience: the active seeking and appreciation of experiences for their own sake

Fantasy: receptivity to the inner world of imagination

Aesthetics: appreciation of art and beauty

Feelings: openness to inner feelings and emotions

Actions: openness to new experiences on a practical level

Ideas: intellectual curiosity

Values: readiness to re-examine own values and those of authority figures

Openness to new experiences on a practical level especially seems to fit many SPs. So SPs, do you think you would score high on openness to new experience on the OCEAN test?

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
openness has a 0.3 correlation to perceiving as well

keep in mind that perceiving is correlated to intuition

KDude

The only SPs who would be more reserved with new experiences are Fi dom/ISFP, but even then, we rely on direct experiences before thinking whether something is worth our time or not. Relatively speaking, ISFPs seem almost extroverted compared to INFP (we're not though... I know I can start clamping down just like an INFP once I know enough about certain experiences, or ones that resemble them).

Feelings: I explore the darkest corners of my soul!!! I should probably get a trophy for it. :dry:

Aesthetics: I'm open to any style/genre..even willing to give artists/directors/musicians I hadn't liked before another chance.. I tend to take individual works on their own. I'm not particularly against any form of expression.. it's bad execution that I don't like.

Intellectual curiosity.. I'm interested in many subjects, but I'm not interested in digging deep into many of them. Give me the cliffnotes version. Every few months however I get a new intellectual obsession, and I try to look extensively into it.

Fantasy: Not really. I like experiencing things directly. If I can't, I move on to experiencing another thing directly. Fantasy doesn't hold my attention for long. I like mulling over scenarios or thinking about what's important to me, but I wouldn't call that fantasy. Even a lot of my creative hobbies aren't imagined beforehand much. I pick up a guitar, and I start playing. If something comes out of it, cool. I identify the good idea,and tweak it a little more, incorporating ideas that could fit with it (I even have a lot of older unrelated riffs or something that I never used, and then finally see a use for them in putting into the new piece....almost as if they were orphans getting a new home or something). But I don't a have a big conceptual type of approach or anything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Openness to Experience: the active seeking and appreciation of experiences for their own sake

ummm... yeah... I'm an experience junkie and feel dead if stuck in a routine :blush:

well, at least PART of my fantasy life is in good shape :devil: (ok... I also read fantasy books and pretend to be Madonna when left at home alone :doh:)

I used to spend every weekend at the art museum and botanical gardens... now I volunteer there...

:rofl1: I think that involves Fi! :laugh:

I have references on that one... hell yes! :holy:

I have been known to read encyclopedias and interview strangers for fun :coffee:

damn the man!!! :steam:

though I admit that certain values of mine can't be shaken, like loyalty... that might be about it :unsure:

Openness to new experiences on a practical level especially seems to fit many SPs. So SPs, do you think you would score high on openness to new experience on the OCEAN test?

I DO score high on it! :cheese: I think the only thing I score higher on is extroversion! :laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
dammit kdude... there's other types of fantasies and that's what I counted :ninja:

KDude

^Well, I try not to fantasize too much romantically either. I'm actually kind of superstitious there. lol.. So what I do is: Call someone instead/get out there/do something. Or not...and do something else. I very much gravitate towards what's possible and what I can make reality.

wolfy

awsm
I've measured high in openness in all the OCEAN tests I have done.

Ideas and aesthetics are strongest. With the other four about the same, strong but relatively weaker.

KDude

is there a link to a good test so i can check it out?

i just want to add that if there's any fantasy, it's mostly turned inward with me mostly. it's about me. eh, functionally speaking, i think there's a "Ni" thing going on.. i might dwell on tranformative possibilities or something.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^Well, I try not to fantasize too much romantically either. I'm actually kind of superstitious there. lol.. So what I do is: Call someone instead/get out there/do something. Or not...and do something else. I very much gravitate towards what's possible and what I can make reality.

as opposed to me who has someone, but they spend plenty of time at work and I wouldn't want to cheat :doh:

it reminds me of when my two roommates and I were joking in college that the ENFJ was the superego, the ESTJ was the ego and I was the id :sadbanana:

wolfy

awsm
is there a link to a good test so i can check it out?

i just want to add that if there's any fantasy, it's mostly turned inward with me mostly. it's about me. eh, functionally speaking, i think there's a "Ni" thing going on.. i might dwell on tranformative possibilities or something.

I did the one on Tickle but it is closed down now. There is one on similarminds but it is no good, it doesn't give a breakdown of each of the five. Try searching Big Five tests.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Openness to Experience on the five factor model of personality has usually been correlated with iNtuition on MBTI. It has especially been correlated with NPs, but some of the sub-traits on Openness could equally fit SPs in my mind.

Here are some of the sub-traits.

I don't see why an SP wouldn't score as high as an NP on this. Se is an information whore of a function, and these sub-traits all seem either Ti or Fi-centric.

KDude

You could try this one The IPIP-NEO. I can't remember how it gives the results but it is pretty good.

I took it (pretty long!), but it's kind of a lot to post here. Somewhat insulting .. I mean, because I'm "moody", I score high on neuroticism? :steam: :D j/k

13 Low extravert (yet high friendliness and excitement seeking)
69 High agreeableness
0 Abysmal Conscientiousness
81 High Neuroticism
56 Moderately high Openness to Experience (besides imagination and intellect)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
bwa ha ha... took this version and got different results :laugh:

55- extroversion (but an 85 on friendliness!!!)

34- agreeableness (dammit... I might be uncooperative and immoral, but I'm sympathetic!)

10- conscientiousness (with a 0 for caution :dry:)

54- neuroticism (I'm in the 90s for immoderation and anger, but I'm not self conscious or anxious! :holy:)

90- openness (ok, I got a 0 on emotionality, but I kick ass at being a liberal experience junkie! :newwink:)

KDude

34- agreeableness (dammit... I might be uncooperative and immoral, but I'm sympathetic!)

Since you're an extrovert, I wonder if you score higher in trust and things like that (or maybe not). I don't, even though my agreeableness is higher than yours.

Agreeableness..............69

Trust....................29

Morality.................65

Altruism.................57

Cooperation..............66

Modesty..................91

Sympathy.................64

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... I'm pretty trusting :blush:

Agreeableness..............34

Trust....................83

Morality.................1

Altruism.................66

Cooperation..............0

Modesty..................86

Sympathy.................79

KDude

just as i thought :blush:

and my morality considerations (not super high, but they're there) keeps me from being highly open to experience in the same way as other SPs. that's what being Fi Dom is, I think (that and whatever given emotional state we're in).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have my moral standards that I will not break, but they weren't mentioned on there :laugh:

I once spent an hour in the back seat of a cop car when I'd done nothing wrong because I wouldn't rat out a friend... and my word was necissary for doing anything to him... there's standards, just not conventional ones :doh:

KDude

I have some conventional standards, but I didn't come to them in a conventional way, I think. Probably the same case for anyone with Fi.. it's kind of hard to explain morality..I still somehow don't get along with some SJs whom I know, for example. Like we may have the same ends, but different means sometimes. They rarely apply the same standards outside their box either ( they'll generally define a moral principle according to their own system or group...and have a hard time seeing the same principle in another philosophy, even though it's clearly the same thing).

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Extroversion: 50
Agreeableness: 53
Conscientiousness: 1 (????)
Neuroticism: 46
Openness to experience: 69

Under the category, openness to experience:
Imagination..............47
Artistic Interests.......87
Emotionality.............53
Adventurousness..........80
Intellect................14
Liberalism...............90
Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.