User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    If the company has a Human Resources department, the ESTP should utilize it. Verbal Harrassment of an older worker is an exposure any company would be wise to avoid. The primary function of Human Resources is to protect the company from potentially being sued by an employee.

    Which is a concept that would probably come as a surprise to most people.

    Under no circumstances does one ever diss thy boss to their boss. No matter how bad they suck. Human Resources will step in to take action in the company's interest. Human Resources > than any manager in a company.

    I've seen HR fire an employee without consulting the employee's reporting manager. I've also seen a VP disappear after an HR department got involved.

    As to STP's...it is wise not to piss us off. We're a patient lot. Three strikes, you're out! We'll be cool to you, but f* ck with me...

    And I'll set a chain of events in motion, where the other party finds itself run over by it's own bus. They'll never even see it coming. It's wicked "Artisan"
    Yeah, he's talked about going to HR and also about going straight to the supervisors boss. He's nearing the end of his career and I think he's willing to hang this ESTJ out to dry, if he finds it necessary to do so. I don't know what's holding him back though. He keeps saying, "next time he says something disrespectful to me, I'm going to his boss or HR." But, he doesn't do it. So, I don't know.

    Yeah, I know about you guys setting traps and having people run over by their own bus and stuff like that. NP's might be the only types that can see those things coming (Ne anticipates everything, all possibilities are considered, even the possibility of being sabotaged). And after it happens and nobody knows what went wrong, we're able to go, "heh heh heh. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE!"

    I actually had it out with the ESTP the other day. I told him that I understand his frustration but he's being totally selfish and unfair and that he has a bad attitude on a daily basis (which he does; and the root cause of it is working several years with this ESTJ boss). I was trying to "wake him up" or "snap him out of his funk". He just goes, "You don't know what fair is! But, that's OK. Don't worry."

    I knew I was going to be in one of his traps soon enough, so I apologized and bought the poor chap a beer.

    It really is rough what he's going through. I hate to say, "Rat out our supervisor!!!" But, that's really what it's coming to. Mr. Supervisor hasn't left people many options.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    ESTP's, need your help!

    Advice??? Anything I can say to him that might help him get through this? And what if I "get tough" with him and start saying things like, "you're going to have to suck this up like the rest of us. We need you at work! Stop whimping out on us and get to work!" Is that going to make him mad or do ESTP's respect it when someone shoots straight with them?
    If you guys noticed that the ESTP was being mistreated then stand up for him formally with the letter, as you suggested. You can't expect him to come to work every day and get treated like shit, and if he has sick days and can use them, then why shouldn't he? Perhaps he is actually feeling ill from the stress of work and he feels like he shouldn't put his health on the line for any of you since none of you are willing to stick up for him when you know that he is being mistreated.

    I don't know the guy so whatever I say is purely opinion, but if it were me I would take my sick days too unless you guys were willing to stick up for me. If you quit occasionally they don't permit you to take your sick days paid (especially in this economy), moreover does he have a retirement package? Perhaps he is just trying to hang on for a few more months until he hits the magic date so that he doesn't lose anything...

    Try to put yourself in his shoes, it isn't like it's unheard of for companies to try to push people out of their jobs to avoid paying out their pensions or retirements. The guy is probably scared and doesn't know who to trust. Or maybe he really can't afford to retire. It sucks that you have to pick up his slack, but it seems like you'll have to either help the guy out and make sure that he is treated better at work or suffer the consequences of his absence and try to make do with his workload on top of yours as best you can.

  3. #13
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,536

    Default

    Why don't you decide not to do more than your fair share of work? Your boss isn't going to make any changes if productivity is being met.

    This has happened to me in my job. I just concentrated on my own reasonable workload and nothing else. Things got real crappy for a while (basically we collectively got blamed for not working as a team) but guess what? Management started seeing who was slacking and who wasn't and took the appropriate steps and I kept my sanity.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Best advice is not to worry about the ole' guy if he's self-inflicting. i.e. Won't take action, and won't fortify his own position.

    For others, one is always more successful if they approach HR asking for help in trying to figure out how to work well with the boss. Give examples of strategy's already attempted. Or problems that the lack of communication is causing for the organization, regardless of how it makes one feel. Just clearly state a situation without telling HR what the perceived cause and effect is. Just the facts ma'm

    The above steps are only if one cares to remain, and self-realizes they're not willing to continue on with the status quo. It's at this point you update a resume and put it out.

    Such scenario's are always inherently "power plays" sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. It does feel good to win when it helps others vs. purely selfish.

    The other option and the one I'd more readily choose is just to find another job. Or, maybe the ESTP's current strategy is the wisest choice for him. Although it sounds like he's putting himself at risk of letting the boss unfairly win, by providing un-necessary exposures?

  5. #15
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    To answer some of your guys' questions:

    -He says he's not ready (financially) to retire, so he's trying to hang on. And the boss is not happy about this. Wants him gone.
    -He is having health problems, which obviously complicates the situation.

    As far as "sticking up for him", the problem is that there's no real "unity" amongst the other employees. When I talk to the others individually, they all say, "Oh yeah, I'm so tired of the supervisor! He's a jerk! Something should be done." But, as soon as you suggest some real action, nobody wants to be involved. They all fear being fired or having to come back to work (after going to HR) and be subject to his wrath, or they just generally don't want to rock the boat too much (rather just deal with it and try to diffuse it or put it out of their mind).

    I suppose I could be the big man in the building and single-handedly say "I'm not standing for this anymore!" I've certainly thought about that before. And I did actually call the boss out in front of everyone once (and it shut him up temporarily and he has since been very careful when talking to me), but then the boss went behind my back and talked about me to...are you ready for this? - to the ESTP!!!! The ESTP told me that the boss talked about me to him!!! Ha ha. They hate each other, but the ESTJ goes to him and talks about other people. The ESTP wanted to tell him off right there, but he held back. It's a twisted situation. Everyone is in agreement, but nobody is willing to put their individual neck on the line.

    If I put my neck on the line, I'd be gone. I'm in more of a "contractor" role - I'm highly disposable. I don't know what the answer is. I've begun to just go into work and focus on what I have to do. Whether that takes 5 hours or 16 hours. Just do it to the best of my ability and go home happy.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    To answer some of your guys' questions:

    -He says he's not ready (financially) to retire, so he's trying to hang on. And the boss is not happy about this. Wants him gone.
    -He is having health problems, which obviously complicates the situation.

    As far as "sticking up for him", the problem is that there's no real "unity" amongst the other employees. When I talk to the others individually, they all say, "Oh yeah, I'm so tired of the supervisor! He's a jerk! Something should be done." But, as soon as you suggest some real action, nobody wants to be involved. They all fear being fired or having to come back to work (after going to HR) and be subject to his wrath, or they just generally don't want to rock the boat too much (rather just deal with it and try to diffuse it or put it out of their mind).

    I suppose I could be the big man in the building and single-handedly say "I'm not standing for this anymore!" I've certainly thought about that before. And I did actually call the boss out in front of everyone once (and it shut him up temporarily and he has since been very careful when talking to me), but then the boss went behind my back and talked about me to...are you ready for this? - to the ESTP!!!! The ESTP told me that the boss talked about me to him!!! Ha ha. They hate each other, but the ESTJ goes to him and talks about other people. The ESTP wanted to tell him off right there, but he held back. It's a twisted situation. Everyone is in agreement, but nobody is willing to put their individual neck on the line.

    If I put my neck on the line, I'd be gone. I'm in more of a "contractor" role - I'm highly disposable. I don't know what the answer is. I've begun to just go into work and focus on what I have to do. Whether that takes 5 hours or 16 hours. Just do it to the best of my ability and go home happy.
    Yeah that pretty much sucks then... it's easy for me to tell you to stick up for the guy when I'm not the one facing the chopping block. Is there anyway you can get his idiot boss on tape? If he treats this guy like shit often then maybe you can catch him on tape and send that to HR anonymously? Obviously that is a really long shot and I have no idea what your employer's rules are for recording devices on the campus. Also if you actually considered doing something like this (a friend of mine did do something like this once with a nanny cam) you'll have to check up on your state's laws for things like reasonable expectation of privacy? A lawyer could help with that I guess, but by the time you go through all of that trouble it might be better to just put up with doing the other guy's work. It really sucks to be you, sorry I couldn't come up with anything more creative than that, but that's all I got.

  7. #17
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    When faced with a situation where there is no chance for victory, as is the case for your (allegedly) ESTP friend, it seems to me like he is going to choose the path of least resistance for himself.

    Doing so creates the following outcomes:

    (1) He does not have to put up with his (abusive) ESTJ boss's shit, or challenge him directly, he merely avoids the issue entirely, and still gets his paycheck.

    (2) Y'all figure out that your boss is an (abusive) ESTJ shitbag and that y'all have to pick up the slack where your (allegedly) ESTP friend is not working, as he is sick of your boss's shit. This is brilliant as he recruits you and your coworkers implicitly to advocate for him, whether directly, or by picking up some of the shit he would have to do if he were there.

    (3) He uses his leave at 100% of pay, instead of getting cashed out at a fraction of its worth if terminated.

    (4) He has time to look for a new job.

    (5) He has time to find a lawyer to sue the company for age discrimination.

    I think he is doing just fine. He knows it is not wise to try and take a well fortified hill with standard infantry equipment. He knows that the only time one perishes is during an offensive, and is side-stepping that possibility to fight a better fight on a better day, if not avoid the whole situation entirely. What he does after the matter resolved as a matter of payback is icing on the cake. Your friend is doing just fine.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    When faced with a situation where there is no chance for victory, as is the case for your (allegedly) ESTP friend, it seems to me like he is going to choose the path of least resistance for himself.

    Doing so creates the following outcomes:

    (1) He does not have to put up with his (abusive) ESTJ boss's shit, or challenge him directly, he merely avoids the issue entirely, and still gets his paycheck.

    (2) Y'all figure out that your boss is an (abusive) ESTJ shitbag and that y'all have to pick up the slack where your (allegedly) ESTP friend is not working, as he is sick of your boss's shit. This is brilliant as he recruits you and your coworkers implicitly to advocate for him, whether directly, or by picking up some of the shit he would have to do if he were there.

    (3) He uses his leave at 100% of pay, instead of getting cashed out at a fraction of its worth if terminated.

    (4) He has time to look for a new job.

    (5) He has time to find a lawyer to sue the company for age discrimination.

    I think he is doing just fine. He knows it is not wise to try and take a well fortified hill with standard infantry equipment. He knows that the only time one perishes is during an offensive, and is side-stepping that possibility to fight a better fight on a better day, if not avoid the whole situation entirely. What he does after the matter resolved as a matter of payback is icing on the cake. Your friend is doing just fine.
    yeah, sounds like the ESTP's strategy is working out just fine.

    Amazes me STP's seem to know so well...you can't count on other people to take action. Even for themselves. We tend to pick and choose the timing of our battles.

    The only person in this whole wide world that will ever stand up for you is yourself. I'm more than worth it. And I do, sometimes at risk of great peril.

  9. #19
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    yeah, sounds like the ESTP's strategy is working out just fine.

    Amazes me STP's seem to know so well...you can't count on other people to take action. Even for themselves. We tend to pick and choose the timing of our battles.

    The only person in this whole wide world that will ever stand up for you is yourself. I'm more than worth it. And I do, sometimes at risk of great peril.
    I couldn't have said that better myself, NICE!!!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Similar Threads

  1. [ESTP] what are the needs of ESTP in a relationship?
    By DoggyGirl in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
  2. [ESTP] ESTP in a relationship with another ESTP
    By beammeup in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
  3. [INFP] INFPs in awkward social situations.
    By locke in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
  4. I'm in very bad shape
    By Maverick in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO